Automobilia etc....

This is also what makes their X drive system unique. Most all wheel drive systems are predominantly front wheel drive and add power to the rear wheels in times of need. BMW is predominantly rear wheel drive and adds power to front wheels in times of need. So you can still get that rear wheel drive experience but have the added safety if the conditions warrant four wheel drive.
Aren't all pickup trucks (except Honda Ridgeline), and all Jeeps predominantly rear wheel drive that add power to the front wheels when needed? Also, I think that all wheel drive Alfa, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche, Dodge Charger and Challenger, some Hyundai , Genesis, Kia Stinger, and I'm sure there are others that are the same.

Edit: The little Jeeps ( Compass and Cherokee and Renegade) are front wheel drive, when they aren't in all wheel.

Last edited:
Aren't all pickup trucks (except Honda Ridgeline), and all Jeeps predominantly rear wheel drive that add power to the front wheels when needed? Also, I think that all wheel drive Alfa, Jaguar, Mercedes, Porsche, Dodge Charger and Challenger, some Hyundai , Genesis, Kia Stinger, and I'm sure there are others that are the same.

Edit: The little Jeeps ( Compass and Cherokee and Renegade) are front wheel drive, when they aren't in all wheel.
You're likely correct. You tend to be pretty sharp on the automotive stuff. I guess I should have specifically stated that the AWD systems I am used to are front drive systems by design. You mentioned the Ridgeline. I am almost exclusively driving Acuras which are made by Honda; same as the Ridgeline. The only exception being Hulk (Tundra).

You're likely correct. You tend to be pretty sharp on the automotive stuff. I guess I should have specifically stated that the AWD systems I am used to are front drive systems by design. You mentioned the Ridgeline. I am almost exclusively driving Acuras which are made by Honda; same as the Ridgeline. The only exception being Hulk (Tundra).
I'm not 100% positive about all that I mentioned, but pretty confident that anything truck based is rear wheel drive, other than the Ridgeline. Also, a lot of the bigger cars that have all wheel drive.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
I'm not 100% positive about all that I mentioned, but pretty confident that anything truck based is rear wheel drive, other than the Ridgeline. Also, a lot of the bigger cars that have all wheel drive.
The German SUVs or Crossovers like the Audi Q7, Mercedes GLs, and BMW Xs aren't based on truck platforms, are they?

The German SUVs or Crossovers like the Audi Q7, Mercedes GLs, and BMW Xs aren't based on truck platforms, are they?
I would think that the German SUVs are based on their same size car platforms. The Dodge Charger and Challenger and Chrysler 300 are leftovers from Daimler Chrysler days and are on older model Mercedes plarforms.

Reactions: McDad
I would think that the German SUVs are based on their same size car platforms. The Dodge Charger and Challenger and Chrysler 300 are leftovers from Daimler Chrysler days and are on older model Mercedes plarforms.
That's what I thought, too. I know the X6 has an identical wheelbase to the 5 series sedans.

Only the G-wagon. All the other German ones are a unitized platform. Some, like the GLC are built on a car platform. Others are based on original platforms.

This is also what makes their X drive system unique. Most all wheel drive systems are predominantly front wheel drive and add power to the rear wheels in times of need. BMW is predominantly rear wheel drive and adds power to front wheels in times of need. So you can still get that rear wheel drive experience but have the added safety if the conditions warrant four wheel drive.

My 3 series wagon is X drive - doesn't feel much different than the 3 series sedans I had

AWD and 4WD are different. Trucks tend to be 4WD. Most AWD systems have constant distribution across the front and back while 4WD can isolate the back only.

I believe the Audi quattro system (AWD) tends to be FWD biased.

Porsche tends to be the most aggressive in AWD with RWD bias - something like 90% RWD at all times. Other cars run as much as 60/40.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
AWD and 4WD are different. Trucks tend to be 4WD. Most AWD systems have constant distribution across the front and back while 4WD can isolate the back only.

I believe the Audi quattro system (AWD) tends to be FWD biased.

Porsche tends to be the most aggressive in AWD with RWD bias - something like 90% RWD at all times. Other cars run as much as 60/40.
I don't know about all Audis, but I assume the smaller ones are front wheel drive based, like their smaller cars and VW. Not an Audi expert.

Are you a stickler on maintenance with your bimmers?

I don't keep them long. Most of them I've gotten out of before or close to warranty expiration. My current one will be the exception - bought it at about 45K miles so I'll run it into the 70K range (that's the plan). Things can get expensive quick.

I did have a high mileage 3 convertible (100K) that I kept up with oil changes but it was a Sunday car so I probably only put 2 - 3K annually on the car.

IOW - I did not answer your question :)

I don't keep them long. Most of them I've gotten out of before or close to warranty expiration. My current one will be the exception - bought it at about 45K miles so I'll run it into the 70K range (that's the plan). Things can get expensive quick.

I did have a high mileage 3 convertible (100K) that I kept up with oil changes but it was a Sunday car so I probably only put 2 - 3K annually on the car.

IOW - I did not answer your question :)
My BMW K bike was a Hoss. I only had it serviced once and owned it for years. But I've heard the vehicles are maintenance sensitive. "Woe be unto you who lapse in your BMW service intervals". - Compressions 2:25

My Japanese service intervals are a suggestion; not a demand. Not sure I can take the approach with a BMW.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
My BMW K bike was a Hoss. I only had it serviced once and owned it for years. But I've heard the vehicles are maintenance sensitive. "Woe be unto you who lapse in your BMW service intervals". - Compressions 2:25

My Japanese service intervals are a suggestion; not a demand. Not sure I can take the approach with a BMW.

I find it's more switches, sensor and other electronic sensitive stuff that has problems. I'd definitely stay current on oil changes (though BMW has long intervals). On my 50K trip I declined the spark plug change because it was bloody expensive at the dealer. I'm due a brake flush and I'll do that but not at the dealer since I'm post warranty.

It will be something stupid like a failed trunk latch but the German over-engineering will mean you have to remove the engine to get to it.

I had a light out on the dash in my 2004 530i. $5 bulb but you had to pull the steering wheel (and hence airbag) to replace it. I decided I didn't need to see that gauge at night.

Are you a stickler on maintenance with your bimmers?
My wife has had a 2013 BMW Z4 for about 4 years , and has only added 10,000 miles to the 19,000 that was on it when we bought it. So far, so good. Dead reliable with no problems. It was a Certified Pre-owned.

I missed out on the X6. The auction bid went too high and I could not make the numbers work.

I changed my plans for BWM X6, placed an order for a 2021 Yukon Denali. I am so used to full size SUVs I just got swayed back there. For 2021, GMC is updating the body style, and adding rear independent suspension (better ride) and that provides more rear compartment storage. I have the #1 position for incoming stock with my dealer... but this will take time, as the first arrivals are end of May to early June. Got my colors set and have the Denali premium package.

So... should be a nice ride. Pics when this is done.

Reactions: volinbham
More pics. Got to be a Ford leak before the reveal. Look closely in the second pic there is a 2 door topless in the background.
Leaked 2021 Ford Bronco 4 Door Black 2 Door Topless Pics.jpg

VN Store

Back