Automobilia etc....

Progress?

Today I ran over something that punctured my tire about a half inch up the sidewall. I have no idea what it was, but my tps monitor warned me at 28 psi and was at 16 within half a mile. I got out and could hear hissing and found a clean puncture. I have run flat tires, but being the sidewall it didn't do any good.

Because of the tires, Infiniti decided they didn't need to include a spare. "Just hit the button and we'll send someone", they said. Well, they did. And because they use subs to tow who don't carry every make/model/size of tire made, they can't do anything but tow the car (35 miles) to the dealer. So they did and the dealer happily replaced the tire. It didn't cost me anything money wise, but it was a full afternoon wasted because there wasn't even a donut to throw on. I guess I should be thankful it wasn't the middle of the night.

My wife's Cadillac doesn't have a spare either, but does have an onboard compressor. That wouldn't have been any help today either.

End of mini-rant. Bottom line, next time I'm shopping, I'll be more concerned about the spare.

Progress?

Today I ran over something that punctured my tire about a half inch up the sidewall. I have no idea what it was, but my tps monitor warned me at 28 psi and was at 16 within half a mile. I got out and could hear hissing and found a clean puncture. I have run flat tires, but being the sidewall it didn't do any good.

Because of the tires, Infiniti decided they didn't need to include a spare. "Just hit the button and we'll send someone", they said. Well, they did. And because they use subs to tow who don't carry every make/model/size of tire made, they can't do anything but tow the car (35 miles) to the dealer. So they did and the dealer happily replaced the tire. It didn't cost me anything money wise, but it was a full afternoon wasted because there wasn't even a donut to throw on. I guess I should be thankful it wasn't the middle of the night.

My wife's Cadillac doesn't have a spare either, but does have an onboard compressor. That wouldn't have been any help today either.

End of mini-rant. Bottom line, next time I'm shopping, I'll be more concerned about the spare.
I hate the concept of runflats.

-DCT 7-speed Auto
-S/C 5.2L with forged rods
-2.65L "inverted roots style blower" in the engine V
-16.5" front brakes
-carbon driveshaft
-20” carbon fiber wheels (optional)

And some crazy colors like Grabber Lime and Twisted Orange.

Progress?

Better get used to it. Many manufactures are losing the spare.
Plus the run flat benefit has nothing to with where the puncture is. You could have driven the car 50 miles up to 50 mph with zero tire pressure.

Better get used to it. Many manufactures are losing the spare.
Plus the run flat benefit has nothing to with where the puncture is. You could have driven the car 50 miles up to 50 mph with zero tire pressure.
Yep. The run flats' sidewall is stiff enough to hold the rim off the road with no air.

Hate run flats. On my last BMW with RF's I dumped them for some SO4's and bought a plug kit and portable inflator. Will do the same for any future RF car I have.

***Jeep Wrangler Owners***

My son is getting ready to pull the trigger and buy a '19 Jeep Wrangler (Hard Top) via AAFES and have it waiting for him in Fairbanks, Alaska. I told him, no matter what he buys, be sure to have a block, interior, battery, trans, and diff heater(s) installed.

My questions:
Are these vehicles decently insulated from the factory?

What engine, turbo 4 or NA V-6, would you reccomend?

Standard or Auto trans?

TIA

GBO!

***Jeep Wrangler Owners***

My son is getting ready to pull the trigger and buy a '19 Jeep Wrangler (Hard Top) via AAFES and have it waiting for him in Fairbanks, Alaska. I told him, no matter what he buys, be sure to have a block, interior, battery, trans, and diff heater(s) installed.

My questions:
Are these vehicles decently insulated from the factory?

What engine, turbo 4 or NA V-6, would you reccomend?

Standard or Auto trans?

TIA

GBO!

I've only done a little research on the new ones so keep that in mind.

As I understand it the new hard top is better insulated and better sound dampened. I was in one the other day and the freedom top part had what looked like styrofoam but was much more rigid. The new ones will be better insulated so far.

There have been complaints about the 4 cyl. The V6 has been around for a while so probably a safer bet.

Standard or Auto is complete personal preference.

Reactions: malinoisvol
I've only done a little research on the new ones so keep that in mind.

As I understand it the new hard top is better insulated and better sound dampened. I was in one the other day and the freedom top part had what looked like styrofoam but was much more rigid. The new ones will be better insulated so far.

There have been complaints about the 4 cyl. The V6 has been around for a while so probably a safer bet.

Standard or Auto is complete personal preference.
Just emailed him what you told me.

Thanks!

Nice, fast, expensive to fix, and awful depreciation.
I’m more intrigued by their SUVs. The beater I own now won’t last much longer. I’m aware a Mercedes isn’t a beater, but I need a nice SUV Of any brand. I was intrigued by the announcement of the new blazer but there’s no V8 option I don’t think?

I’ve considered getting into luxury cars. How are the AMG Mercedes vehicles?

I have test driven many over the years, I own a little brother to one. If you want to check out some history look up the AMG Hammer from the late 80's. 6 L 32 valve V8.
I have seen where you moved to Florida, there is a car show I go to every year on Amelia Island called the Cconcours de Elegance. We ate already making our plans, it's the the second weekend of March.

Reactions: Berry4Heisman14

VN Store

Back