Auburn bans student for Vescovi comment

TGO, this is a pretty black & white issue. You are embarrassing yourself trying to rationalize this fan's misguided comment.

I'm rationalizing it? I said if he was my friend standing next to me I would have told him to shut up dummy. I pointed out that there's a lot of virtue signaling going on in here by someone saying offensive things at the same time. I'm saying that this degree of trash talking at a basketball game doesn't need to be dealt with by excessive punishment.

Reactions: allvol123
Respect the effort, but y'all are clearly wasting your time with these disingenuous clowns and their bad faith arguments. Calling people snowflakes and crying about not being able to scream out xenophobic garbage at a school function in a campus facility without receiving repercussions in the same post. Boohoo he can't go to Auburn basketball games at home anymore. I'm sure Auburn freshman Babatunde Akingbola from Nigeria really appreciated the support and felt even more welcome thanks to his peer in the student section.

Maybe that stupid kid will actually learn something but more than likely he's too far gone down the rabbit hole and will live to show his ignorant ass once again in no time.

I'm rationalizing it? I said if he was my friend standing next to me I would have told him to shut up dummy. I pointed out that there's a lot of virtue signaling going on in here by someone saying offensive things at the same time. I'm saying that this degree of trash talking at a basketball game doesn't need to be dealt with by excessive punishment.
Yes, you are rationalizing it. You are acting like the comment is common trash talk. It's obviously not.

98% of Auburn students don’t know what conference Uruguay is in. Let him go back to milking cows. Blue font

He told him to go home. His home is Uruguay. He didn't call him an offensive name. He didn't indicate that he hates him. He talked smack. It's not that big a deal.
That's embarrassingly disingenuous or stupid of you to thing, TGO.

Besides the blatant and deliberate xenophobia, is it that hard to stick up for one of our own players?

That's embarrassingly disingenuous or stupid of you to thing, TGO.

Besides the blatant and deliberate xenophobia, is it that hard to stick up for one of our own players?

These are the same people who complain that people shouldn't complain about racisim/sexism/homophobia/insert whatever other discrimination anymore because obviously all that has gone away and all people are completely 100% equal and anyone playing the race/sex/gay card are just whining and need to pull themselves by their bootstraps and work harder.

My God, hope he gets expelled. Ridiculous that he would think that's acceptable.

Also for those saying this is "Trash Talk," no it's not. It's racism plain and simple.

Saying "You Suck" or "We are going to destroy you" is trash talk. Invoking someone's heritage and telling them they need to leave the country is racism.
For heaven's sake. It's an idiotic trash chant. I guarantee you Vescovi doesn't give a crap.

Students used to wave Dominos pizza boxes at Charles Barkley. That seems worse to me than telling a player from Uruguay to go back to Uruguay... especially when it's in the context of smack talk at a ball game. I don't recall the virtue signalers ever condemning them. Fat shaming is okay I guess.

And I will stick up for Santiago. He doesn't have to return to Uruguay. He has every right to stay here and he can laugh at the dumb Barners. Same for Kyle, Uros, Yves, and Olivier. It is America. Even visitors have rights. Telling ANYBODY to go home doesn't violate anybody's rights. Punishing somebody for saying something offensive does dabble into restricting their 1A protections.

Dude sounded like Sam Kinison , when he was playing a college professor asking Rodney Dangerfield questions in History class. Wonder his major ?. A future Bama politician. Bet he had bangs and parted his hair on the side

Reactions: VonVol2
Who gives a crap. Home crowd is allowed to trash talk. It's just words! Stop being such freakin' crybabies. Hell, we threw pizza boxes at Charles Barkley durkng the warmups.

What is up with the incredibly simplistic mindset of "We used to do worse so that means this is ok!" Just because people used to be bigger a**holes doesn't mean behavior is allowed.

A kid says something stupid about a guy going home to his country = thug who should be beaten and banned and outed in public

A kid alludes that police officers should be killed after his valid arrest = misunderstood guy fighting the man?
I'm going to need a moment to see if it's worth going down this rabbit hole with you.

Students used to wave Dominos pizza boxes at Charles Barkley. That seems worse to me than telling a player from Uruguay to go back to Uruguay... especially when it's in the context of smack talk at a ball game. I don't recall the virtue signalers ever condemning them. Fat shaming is okay I guess.

And I will stick up for Santiago. He doesn't have to return to Uruguay. He has every right to stay here and he can laugh at the dumb Barners. Same for Kyle, Uros, Yves, and Olivier. It is America. Even visitors have rights. Telling ANYBODY to go home doesn't violate anybody's rights. Punishing somebody for saying something offensive does dabble into restricting their 1A protections.

Agreed. This is all pretty pathetic in terms of the reaction to the comments..

Toughen up people.

I've spent too much time on this thread already.

So I will leave with this.

We don't know this guy's intent. Maybe it was trash talk (horrible choice of words if so), maybe it was racist. Maybe it was both.

What we do know is that is not an acceptable comment. We do know that many foreign Nationals could and would be offended by that. We know there is a history of nativism in this country. We do know there are a lot of other terms that could have been used.

He is banned now. Some like me think that is too little, others think it is too much. At the end of the day, this situation could have been avoided by just thinking before speaking.

Not a fan of banning someone for a comment like this. Is it uncouth to say? Obviously. Is it worthy of never setting foot in your home arena again? Hardly.
You sound like a pure racist. Not sure where you are form but this is America. Here telling someone to 'go back to your country' is a racist statement. I am sorry that your education and american values failed you.

VN Store

Back