Auburn bans student for Vescovi comment

If I said that to anyone at work, I'd be fired.
If I said that in the classroom, I'd be fired.
A stadium excuses trash talk because that is part of the game, but this is just ridiculous.

Think about kids who heard that? I just don't think him being banned is enough.

Neither of those scenarios are comparable at all. This wasn’t some work place, it was a basketball game and some young adult yelling it from the stands. No one is excusing it, but It wasn’t remotely bad enough for any of things you are calling for.

This kid wasn't at work! No one is agreeing with what he said or supporting the general premise, but we're in an awful place as a society if non-threatening trash talk at a basketball game is being policed.

Clearly we aren't going to agree on our value system.

But from a human level. Saying

Go back to _______ this is America!

is not in anyway harmless.

Telling somebody to go home is only offensive now that some look to throw up racism at everything.
I can agree that the racism label is used too liberally, but how could you or I know what Vescovi finds offensive?

Well considering that he has the choice of being expelled, I'd say it isn't forced.

Grow a pair and apologize or don't make xenophobic comments in the first place
I understand where you’re coming from, but I guess I just stop valuing anything somebody has to say once they go down a road like that. An apology has no bearing on anything.

I understandWhere you’re coming from, but I guess I just stop valuing anything somebody has to say once they go down a road like that.

That is fair to some degree, but I like the idea of "You said it out loud." Now let's see you get face to face with him.

Most xenophobes are fine shouting stuff like that when they are 100 ft away, not so much when they have to be right in front of them.

That is fair to some degree, but I like the idea of "You said it out loud." Now let's see you get face to face with him.

Most xenophobes are fine shouting stuff like that when they are 100 ft away, not so much when they have to be right in front of them.
When he said it, he probably did so without thought, thinking he was being clever. He was found, and banished from the arena. I doubt he meant any harm, he just didn't think things through. And now he's learning to think before he speaks. Personally, I think getting banned from the arena is severe enough to help him learn his lesson.

OMG! You asked to be educated on why it could be offensive. That link goes into a lot of detail. Like I said, there are many more links.

If there are many more links, then why do you use some radical site to do it with?

If this offends the 5% of extreme evangelists that hate gays and think all doctors who perform abortion should be killed then I don't really care to hear it.

At first glance, I agree it sounded kind of harmless. But what if he had yelled at a black player "Go back to Africa"? Pretty sure we'd all consider that racist. So maybe there's something to it.

What if we was also African?

My God, hope he gets expelled. Ridiculous that he would think that's acceptable.

Also for those saying this is "Trash Talk," no it's not. It's racism plain and simple.

Saying "You Suck" or "We are going to destroy you" is trash talk. Invoking someone's heritage and telling them they need to leave the country is racism.
Oh please. Clutch those pearls some more 🙄

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
If he doesn't get expelled, he should at very least have his name released.

That would be punishment enough I'm sure.

And a face to face personal apology to Santiago.
Good thing you weren’t around at basketball games at Stokely and TBA 20-30 years ago lol

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back