'17 AU WDE Big Kat Bryant (UCF)

Honestly all coaches do and he learned from the ledger King and worked with the guy who learned the ledger from the king. It was unhappy ppl who were involved from benched players to fired coaches to boosters to employees who weren't happy with him not being the corporate good guy and speaking smiling and quoting cute quotes all the time that was his demise.
Treat people like sh*t and you’re gonna get what you deserve. He sucked @$$. We handled his firing in a stupid way. Both are true.

Just glad he’s gone and I hope he goes back to something more his speed like teaching PE

Nothing would have blown up, though... that's sort of the point. We should have given Pruitt a pass on 2020 and pushed forward. You give him 2 more years and, if his program still sucks, then you fire him and don't have to pay a huge buyout. Then you have a solid roster, because his recruiting was pretty decent, no ncaa santions looming, and you can attract a better HC.
The guy took a year that shouldn’t have counted, and made it count. You don’t get massacred by UK. You don’t lose 7 games by double digits. And you don’t produce an offense like that in year 3. And you don’t get caught paying players. As for COVID, Gibbs (who has yet to take a snap) was the only player to opt out for the whole year. Relatively speaking, we weren’t affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vols4us and butchna
I still can’t believe that we couldn’t just fire him and move on instead of throwing the whole university under the bus..

This was the frustrating part. Auburn didn’t do this to Gus and paid a much bigger buyout. We will spend the same amount in lawyer fees etc I’m sure than if we just paid the buyout. Especially when someone on here claims we have FU money but it clearly meant FU fans/program we just want our power back from Fulmer/Pruitt regime.

I still can’t believe that we couldn’t just fire him and move on instead of throwing the whole university under the bus..

It all depends on if the information that reached Plowman's desk was only known internally or if it originated from a source outside the university. Once the internal investigation was initiated, and the infractions stacked up too high, she had no choice without putting her job in jeopardy and the school at serious risk of devastating NCAA punishment. 50 violations if shown to be contained within the Pruitt reporting structure and quickly handled when found, may be more survivable than turning a blind eye and outside investigations turning up the issues. Won't know risk elements till some facts get out there for sure one way or the other.

My SWAG is that one parent or coach shot a poison pill letter to a UT employee outside of the Pruitt structure to get the ball rolling and the rest is what it is. It would not take but one kid not wanting to risk his reputation and viability at other schools to share an experience with an adult who would take a protective action. It could turn out to be a valid fear if the investigation shares names with the NCAA of those that did and did not come to UT that were involved in bad acts and kept their mouths shut. Time will tell, maybe.

I have heard that rumor but coaches typically don’t out each other bc Kirby is doing similar things at Georgia.
True, but the rumor revolves about how sloppy Nieds got, and how he broke the unwritten rules coaches have amongst themselves for doing this stuff.

I feel like this wasn't said during the argument past couple days, so here goes...

Cheating at recruiting doesnt make a coach unable to be a good role model or person. NCAA is not the Ten Commandments, their law is not a moral law, it is a business law that everybody breaks like the speed limit, and often in breaking that law, they are supporting a poor family and giving them access to both necessities and luxury that they didnt have access to before. You could argue that it is a morally good decision to provide for the kids that are being held down by an archaic rule and being denied the ability to profit off their massive success. It's kind of a national debate in fact lol.

Of course it's also in the self-interest of the coaches to pay the kids, not saying they're just pulling a Mansa Musa and raining money out of the kindness of their hearts, but the act of paying players doesnt disqualify a coach from being a good role model or good human. Recruiting is legally dirty, but that doesnt make the participants morally dirty. So I dont think @de1conley is wrong in separating those two elements.

Reactions: de1conley
True, but the rumor revolves about how sloppy Nieds got, and how he broke the unwritten rules coaches have amongst themselves for doing this stuff.
What unwritten rule? Ole Miss was extremely sloppy and it wasn’t the coaches that turned them in..... look at the black balling that went on with pearl over the Illinois stuff.

Reactions: xston
This was the frustrating part. Auburn didn’t do this to Gus and paid a much bigger buyout. We will spend the same amount in lawyer fees etc I’m sure than if we just paid the buyout. Especially when someone on here claims we have FU money but it clearly meant FU fans/program we just want our power back from Fulmer/Pruitt regime.

At this moment, I think it was worth it. Attorneys fees won't touch a $12 million buyout. While it was ongoing, I had concerns because it's not worth it if you were only going to negotiate a buyout with Pruitt, which still could have been half of the 12 million.

At this point, we have basically swapped head coaches and even saved a little on assistants (Golesh and Ellarbe combined pays for Chaney). If it stays that way, then I wouldn't say it was bad at all, especially if we can mitigate our NCAA issues.

I feel like this wasn't said during the argument past couple days, so here goes...

Cheating at recruiting doesnt make a coach unable to be a good role model or person. NCAA is not the Ten Commandments, their law is not a moral law, it is a business law that everybody breaks like the speed limit, and often in breaking that law, they are supporting a poor family and giving them access to both necessities and luxury that they didnt have access to before. You could argue that it is a morally good decision to provide for the kids that are being held down by an archaic rule and being denied the ability to profit off their massive success. It's kind of a national debate in fact lol.

Of course it's also in the self-interest of the coaches to pay the kids, not saying they're just pulling a Mansa Musa and raining money out of the kindness of their hearts, but the act of paying players doesnt disqualify a coach from being a good role model or good human. Recruiting is legally dirty, but that doesnt make the participants morally dirty. So I dont think @de1conley is wrong in separating those two elements.

I figured lying would be considered morally dirty

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
What unwritten rule? Ole Miss was extremely sloppy and it wasn’t the coaches that turned them in..... look at the black balling that went on with pearl over the Illinois stuff.
I'm just giving you what I've heard. Apparently coaches have lines that aren't supposed to be crossed in these situations, but Nieds did. Kirby wasn't happy and was making noise. It involved the recruitment of Mims. Believe, don't believe, I don't care. That's on you. I can't swear it's true, I can only tell you I heard about it.

Reactions: de1conley
I'm just giving you what I've heard. Apparently coaches have lines that aren't supposed to be crossed in these situations, but Nieds did. Kirby wasn't happy and was making noise. It involved the recruitment of Mims. Believe, don't believe, I don't care. That's on you. I can't swear it's true, I can only tell you I heard about it.
I’m just curious what line that would be

Good to know that Pruitt can apply for sainthood after playing the recruiting game with such good motivations. Maybe UT will be rewarded by the NCAA for the philanthropic heights we evidently reached under his leadership. Not sure the Robinhood effect is in play here.

Reactions: Vols4us

VN Store

Back