Athlon: SEC coaches talk anonymously about Tennessee

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
"Jarrett Guarantano is a longtime starter who has been through it with that program. Combine him with Jim Chaney, a veteran play caller who knows the program and the roster, and in the second year of Jeremy Pruitt's culture they should be better."

"The standout position group here is at wide receiver. Marquez Callaway and Josh Palmer should help them build out something on the outside. Jauan Jennings coming back is big. They have a lot of athleticism on offense, they just didn't know how to utilize their skill guys."

"There is no reason that offense was so bad last year. I know the line wasn't good, but they have players."

"Secondary is an obvious strength; they were playing freshman corners last year and now those guys are back. They run a lot of stuff out of the nickel, too, so they'll be able to do even more this year."

"Butch Jones did a better job recruiting than what they're telling media. The players he brought in are still playing the bulk of the time, and not a lot of the Pruitt recruits have broken past them on the depth chart, though that could change this year. They've recruited well so far for the system Jeremy wants."

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019?

One line really stands out to me for it's inconsistency:

"There is no reason that offense was so bad last year. I know the line wasn't good, but they have players."

Whoever this is, managed to contradict himself in the span of two sentences. The line was a big reason why the offense was so bad last year. It must improve... and it should.

tenor.gif

Reactions: JettVol
"Butch Jones did a better job recruiting than what they're telling media. The players he brought in are still playing the bulk of the time, and not a lot of the Pruitt recruits have broken past them on the depth chart, though that could change this year. They've recruited well so far for the system Jeremy wants."

This leads me to believe lack of player development was a VERY real thing

Thanks for your input Butch.

The comment regarding Butch’s recruiting had to have come from someone on Bama’s staff if not Butch himself. Pruitt has to play Butch’s players because they make up the majority of the roster. Whoever said that is a dumbazz. Pruitt has only had one full recruiting class. If the players that signed under the former regime have success, then CJP & CO. deserve the credit for developing those guys (Jones failed to do so). I will give Jones praise for leaving a solid group of receivers though.

Last edited:
The comment regarding Butch’s recruiting had to have come from someone on Bama’s staff if not Butch himself. Pruitt has to play Butch’s players because they make up the majority of the roster. Whoever said that is a dumbazz. Pruitt’s has only had one full recruiting class. If the players that signed under the former regime have success, then CJP & CO. deserve the credit for developing those guys (Jones failed to do so). I will give Jones praise for leaving a solid group of receivers though.
Exactly. He was hired about a week before the early signing date.

Whoever this is, managed to contradict himself in the span of two sentences. The line was a big reason why the offense was so bad last year. It must improve... and it should.
I think he hit the nail on the head. There was no excuse for the offense to be as bad as they were last year.

Reactions: LocoVol
I think he hit the nail on the head. There was no excuse for the offense to be as bad as they were last year.
...but then he said that the offensive line wasn't good. So, there was a reason... and he was even aware of the reason. He literally contradicted himself from one sentence to the next. That doesn't come across as being very bright.

Reactions: kbear01 and KBVol

Three true freshman started game 1 last year in the secondary alone. Plenty of newcomers, including grad transfers, contributed throughout the year.

You can't replace an entire team with 20 new people... Lol.

It is funny how everyone laments the terrible roster during the 18 search, and now all the sudden that they are getting coached up and molded into SEC size.. "Butch didn't do that bad!"

lol

The comment regarding Butch’s recruiting had to have come from someone on Bama’s staff if not Butch himself. Pruitt has to play Butch’s players because they make up the majority of the roster. Whoever said that is a dumbazz. Pruitt has only had one full recruiting class. If the players that signed under the former regime have success, then CJP & CO. deserve the credit for developing those guys (Jones failed to do so). I will give Jones praise for leaving a solid group of receivers though.
I'd say that was Larry Scott.

The line wasn’t good, but a lot of those sacks and blown up plays came from missed blocking assignments by TE’s and backs due to players not knowing their assignment, which is squarely on the coaching staff for not making sure they were prepared. A lot of incompletions were due to the same.

The worn out statement Butch couldn’t recruit or develop players is just wishful thinking. Maybe our players are really stupid and have learning disabilities or maybe the coaching is lacking. Either way, the problems were still there with last years offensive staff.

Lets just hope Chaney can get things corrected, which I think he will.

Three true freshman started game 1 last year in the secondary alone. Plenty of newcomers, including grad transfers, contributed throughout the year.

You can't replace an entire team with 20 new people... Lol.

It is funny how everyone laments the terrible roster during the 18 search, and now all the sudden that they are getting coached up and molded into SEC size.. "Butch didn't do that bad!"

lol
Correct.

Taylor, Thompson, Flowers in the secondary. DWA at TE. Jahmir Johnson at OL. Carvin played a lot at OL. Banks played a lot at RB, at least until he fumbled away his opportunities. Gooden at DT. There’s 8 off the top of my head. No doubt there were others who contributed from Pruitt’s first class, certainly on special teams.

Don’t fail to give the OC credit for the incompetence also. If not for Larry Scott, Helton would be the worst OC UT has ever had.

Plus, majority of freshmen don't usually play. In fact, if majority of freshmen play then there's something wrong.

Correct.

Taylor, Thompson, Flowers in the secondary. DWA at TE. Jahmir Johnson at OL. Carvin played a lot at OL. Banks played a lot at RB, at least until he fumbled away his opportunities. Gooden at DT. There’s 8 off the top of my head. No doubt there were others who contributed from Pruitt’s first class, certainly on special teams.
Kennedy was a day one starter would most likely continued to hold that spot had he not gotten injured.

Most of these "anonymous assistant coaches" are just people employed by Athlon who are trying to sell magazines....

Obligatory ... None of us know if any of this was said by any CFB coach. Anoymous sources are anonymous sources and anonymous as a source.

Pretty positive feedback
"Jarrett Guarantano is a longtime starter who has been through it with that program. Combine him with Jim Chaney, a veteran play caller who knows the program and the roster, and in the second year of Jeremy Pruitt's culture they should be better."

"The standout position group here is at wide receiver. Marquez Callaway and Josh Palmer should help them build out something on the outside. Jauan Jennings coming back is big. They have a lot of athleticism on offense, they just didn't know how to utilize their skill guys."

"Secondary is an obvious strength; they were playing freshman corners last year and now those guys are back. They run a lot of stuff out of the nickel, too, so they'll be able to do even more this year."

"They’ll be young up front on defense, but they have some talent there."

"They just need to get to a bowl this year and beat Vanderbilt and Missouri and the conference teams who aren’t as talented on their rosters. Just show that the plan is working long term."

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2019

Reactions: RollerVol
We will be much better and win 2-4 more games over last years record.....................................................................Non Anonymous Vol fan

VN Store

Back