Athlon: SEC coaches talk anonymously about Tennessee

...but then he said that the offensive line wasn't good. So, there was a reason... and he was even aware of the reason. He literally contradicted himself from one sentence to the next. That doesn't come across as being very bright.

No. He was basically saying that in spite of the line, there still was no reason for the offense to be as bad as it was. We didn’t use our skill players properly.

In his opinion.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
"Butch Jones did a better job recruiting than what they're telling media. The players he brought in are still playing the bulk of the time, and not a lot of the Pruitt recruits have broken past them on the depth chart, though that could change this year. They've recruited well so far for the system Jeremy wants."
Sincerely,
Butch Jones
GBO!!

Reactions: MemphisVol77
The line wasn’t good, but a lot of those sacks and blown up plays came from missed blocking assignments by TE’s and backs due to players not knowing their assignment, which is squarely on the coaching staff for not making sure they were prepared. A lot of incompletions were due to the same.

The worn out statement Butch couldn’t recruit or develop players is just wishful thinking. Maybe our players are really stupid and have learning disabilities or maybe the coaching is lacking. Either way, the problems were still there with last years offensive staff.

Lets just hope Chaney can get things corrected, which I think he will.

Mmmmmmmm well now. Combine the coaching expertise of Saban, Swinney and a half-dozen additional bona fide gurus and give them a whole team full of improperly developed players, cover the board on all the things that're contrary to all that bad previous coaching and...in just one season...have these guys playing like they'd been on the same page doing things right from the get go, then you'd still have to pull out a miracle to make this group into a much better team than we saw in 2018. It's sort of like expecting a right handed batter switch to a lefty and expect the same results within just a few months. Right?

Reactions: Big Al Orange
One line really stands out to me for it's inconsistency:

"There is no reason that offense was so bad last year. I know the line wasn't good, but they have players."

Whoever this is, managed to contradict himself in the span of two sentences. The line was a big reason why the offense was so bad last year. It must improve... and it should.
I wonder what coach was dumb enough to say that. Sound's like something Butch would've said

...but then he said that the offensive line wasn't good. So, there was a reason... and he was even aware of the reason. He literally contradicted himself from one sentence to the next. That doesn't come across as being very bright.
Maybe this anon ass coach lives in an "Alternate SEC Universe" where having a big, powerful, effective , deep o-line doesn't matter?????

I'm actually shocked to see the anonymous coaches are more optimistic than I would have thought. I think everyone recognizes things are heading in the right direction and the players are in good hands with a well experienced staff. I think most don't see us as a big threat this year, but are keeping an eye on us to be back sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Mods...

source.gif

...please.

"Butch Jones did a better job recruiting than what they're telling media. The players he brought in are still playing the bulk of the time, and not a lot of the Pruitt recruits have broken past them on the depth chart,"

Well considering that CJP has only had two recruiting classes, I would say that it is safe to say that not many of his recruits have broken into the line-up so yes CBJ's recruits are playing most of the time. It's not real hard to figure that out. But as the second class is finally at TU and practice has began, I see more of CJP's players moving into starting rolls.

"
"Jarrett Guarantano is a longtime starter who has been through it with that program. Combine him with Jim Chaney, a veteran play caller who knows the program and the roster, and in the second year of Jeremy Pruitt's culture they should be better."

"The standout position group here is at wide receiver. Marquez Callaway and Josh Palmer should help them build out something on the outside. Jauan Jennings coming back is big. They have a lot of athleticism on offense, they just didn't know how to utilize their skill guys."

"There is no reason that offense was so bad last year. I know the line wasn't good, but they have players."

"Secondary is an obvious strength; they were playing freshman corners last year and now those guys are back. They run a lot of stuff out of the nickel, too, so they'll be able to do even more this year."

"They’ll be young up front on defense, but they have some talent there."

"They just need to get to a bowl this year and beat Vanderbilt and Missouri and the conference teams who aren’t as talented on their rosters. Just show that the plan is working long term."

"Butch Jones did a better job recruiting than what they're telling media. The players he brought in are still playing the bulk of the time, and not a lot of the Pruitt recruits have broken past them on the depth chart, though that could change this year. They've recruited well so far for the system Jeremy wants." "

VN Store

Back