Athletes getting paid.....terrible idea

I guess whatever team Nike likes will be #1?

Will sports networks have to pay for interviews, photos and video used? They have certainly been abusing athletes for years.

Yep ESPN went from a Bristol Conn. area sports program to national by replaying Big East Basketball just about all day when they first started. It did a lot for the Big East and ESPN not much for the players. Would be hard for a small independent TV broadcast to start from nothing having to shell out royalties for replaying your likeness.

Sky is falling.

In a way, it's an irreversible change the current sports system. Not a question of right or wrong or which side you are on in the debate, it's a major change that could easily destroy the sport as we know it. That might be good, could just as easily be bad and they seemed to make this decision very quickly. Its like a 20 year review of the situation then.....well.....ok.....f*** it...here is what we will do!

In a way, it's an irreversible change the current sports system. Not a question of right or wrong or which side you are on in the debate, it's a major change that could easily destroy the sport as we know it. That might be good, could just as easily be bad and they seemed to make this decision very quickly. Its like a 20 year review of the situation then.....well.....ok.....f*** it...here is what we will do!

The decisions they have made over decades were wrong, they've had decades to fix it.... now they are given little choice.

They have nobody to blame but themselves, the good news for them is... they are still ranking in billions and there hasn't been any indictments yet.... yet.

Technically you don't have to go to class today, not really. That's basically what happened at North Carolina for a few decades i.e. making up classes - that's not the complete truth but close enough. What did the NCAA do, not much of anything. If they ever get classified as "employees", it could be difficult to have rules as far as "limited eligibility" which are enforced by the NCAA, which is probably why they are retreating where they know they have already lost. Of course, nothing stopping an athlete from signing up for easy courses either way.

I'm just not seeing the problem, nothing is a level playing field - some schools spend quite a bit more than other schools on coaching, facilities, treatments, etc.

What I am saying, is the same thing I said for the last 4-5 years in the Around the NCAA forum... the current scam is on borrowed time.
No that's not what happened at UNC.

Students didn't attend class because there was no class to attend. Credit hours were being handed out for writing papers. The reason the NCAA didn't act was the classes were open to everyone and non-atheletes were also enrolled in the classes. It was a case ofgeneral academic fraud which theoretically put the university's accreditation in jeopardy but realistically a school of the size and influence of UNC is not going to lose their accreditation. UNC knew that and let those classes exist for 18 years before it became known to the general public and then only stopped because of the bad PR.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

It was done quickly because they screwed around for decades like fat pigs at a trough getting fatter by the second. Then some legislation got started and the gig was up. This quick decision with vague details is just more proof these bastards had never planned to do anything.

Reactions: LSU-SIU
No that's not what happened at UNC.

Students didn't attend class because there was no class to attend. Credit hours were being handed out for writing papers. The reason the NCAA didn't act was the classes were open to everyone and non-atheletes were also enrolled in the classes. It was a case if general academic fraud which theoretically put the university's accreditation in jeopardy but realistically a school of the size and influence of UNC is not going to lose the accreditation. UNC knew that and let those classes exist for 18 years before it became known to the general public and then o ly stopped because of the bad PR.

Like I said, its close enough to the truth without getting into it all. There is nothing stopping a student from enrolling in junk classes, nobody cares... they just want to see sports.

If I were to guess as to one possibility of why this has come to a head so fast.

California (or other State that has just passed bills on this) legislator/governor or attorney general receives a call from high up in the NCAA (or legal counsel) saying, "you can't do this". Legislator/governor says, "we can do this the easy way, by you leaving our schools alone and let them comply with the new law, or we can do it the hard way, and refer this to the attorney general for criminal prosecution under existing law, which way do you want it?"

Its really in their best interest that they let this one go, as the alternative is not good at this point - its a loser position, they did get away with it for a very long time, kind of like the mob.

This new ruling has me conflicted. While I am all on board for an athlete making money off his name and likeness, just think it is going to hamstring schools without big money boosters who own businesses.

For example Big Booster Bob who owns a multimillion dollar business can offer multiple 5* recruits an advertising deal to secure there signature on signing day.

The athletes will go where the money is. A lot of teams will then be at a competing disadvantage.

Just my opinion.

I heard Jay Bilas on the radio today. He was talking about he was on Capitol Hill two weeks. His biggest take away was the sheer number of reps, on both side of the aisle, who were for this and thought it would be something their constituents wouldn’t care about or would support. He even referenced Mitt Romney's strong words on the situation.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article236329643.html

As usual with those in control of such things, no alternative was available. It's no different than how the old railroad barons, ranchers, and coal companies exploited their workers. Then when unions sought to level the playing field they were rebuked, damned, fired, and at times killed. All the while pretty much saying what you did, |They knew what they signed up for." History certainly repeats itself.

Not a fair comparison at all. These players are treated VERY, and I do mean VERY well. They have a heavy work load no doubt but have you seen some of these guys up close and personal? They are all in extremely impressive shape. They are fed the very best by highly trained nutritionist that break down every single meal they eat. They also have free access to hot showers, hair cuts, massage therapists, new clothes, warm places to sleep, and are safe from a cave falling in on them or a runaway train, bull horse, or whatever... If these " workers " fail at their jobs they lose a ball game. If the " workers " you speak of fail at their jobs they kill people. Railroad barons, Ranchers, and coal workers were doing whatever they could possibly do to survive at the time. They simply had no other choice but to take what was offered to them even if the conditions were absolutely horrible. Especially around the depression time. Unions and changes were needed during those times. If I lived during those times I would have supported the changes.

You mark my words. In 10 - 15 years college football will look nothing like it does today. This really saddens me.

Be careful what you what you ask for because you just might get it.

Not a fair comparison at all. These players are treated VERY, and I do mean VERY well. They have a heavy work load no doubt but have you seen some of these guys up close and personal? They are all in extremely impressive shape. They are fed the very best by highly trained nutritionist that break down every single meal they eat. They also have free access to hot showers, hair cuts, massage therapists, new clothes, warm places to sleep, and are safe from a cave falling in on them or a runaway train, bull horse, or whatever... If these " workers " fail at their jobs they lose a ball game. If the " workers " you speak of fail at their jobs they kill people. Railroad barons, Ranchers, and coal workers were doing whatever they could possibly do to survive at the time. They simply had no other choice but to take what was offered to them even if the conditions were absolutely horrible. Especially around the depression time. Unions and changes were needed during those times. If I lived during those times I would have supported the changes.

You mark my words. In 10 - 15 years college football will look nothing like it does today. This really saddens me.

Be careful what you what you ask for because you just might get it.

Athletes are US citizens. They have a RIGHT to work and be compensated for that work.It is absolutely absurd that its 2019 and we just now are "letting" them do this.

This new ruling has me conflicted. While I am all on board for an athlete making money off his name and likeness, just think it is going to hamstring schools without big money boosters who own businesses.

For example Big Booster Bob who owns a multimillion dollar business can offer multiple 5* recruits an advertising deal to secure there signature on signing day.

The athletes will go where the money is. A lot of teams will then be at a competing disadvantage.

Just my opinion.

So, like it is now?

Reactions: RazzBury
Athletes are US citizens. They have a RIGHT to work and be compensated for that work.It is absolutely absurd that its 2019 and we just now are "letting" them do this.

Lol. The poor athletes. They are barely struggling to get by. What happens when a senior or junior who is draft eligible has money in his pocket and sits out the last couple of games? Laugh now but this scenario is coming.

Reactions: Behr and 82_VOL_83
Lol. The poor athletes. They are barely struggling to get by. What happens when a senior or junior who is draft eligible has money in his pocket and sits out the last couple of games? Laugh now but this scenario is coming.

If only he could be chained up and made available for your desires.

Just going back to an old idea. Players used to be compensated for appearing in ads and sponsoring merchandise.

Here is a Tennessee/Vanderbilt program from 1939:

1939 Football Program - UT vs Vanderbilt

Those two players drinking the milk were paid for appearing in the ad.

Really wasn't that big of a deal until the NCAA banned the practice in what was referred to as the "Sanity Code" of 1948.

If only he could be chained up and made available for your desires.

Nice try but no way would anyone conclude the jibberish you asserted was implied by my post. I contend that you are so blinded in your support for this new rule could only mean two things.
1. You somehow stand to profit from this.
2. You actually believe that athletes are barely getting by.

If it's over number 1 then I congratulate you. Go get as much as you can. If it's number 2.....
On average scholarships include $6000 cash for those of us with math skills that's $500 cash per month to use how you see fit. They're getting by just fine.

Reactions: Raebo
Just going back to an old idea. Players used to be compensated for appearing in ads and sponsoring merchandise.

Here is a Tennessee/Vanderbilt program from 1939:

1939 Football Program - UT vs Vanderbilt

Those two players drinking the milk were paid for appearing in the ad.

Really wasn't that big of a deal until the NCAA banned the practice in what was referred to as the "Sanity Code" of 1948.

Does that make the new rule the insanity code.
Just kidding good info in your post.

Reactions: Herman Hickman
Nice try but no way would anyone conclude the jibberish you asserted was implied by my post. I contend that you are so blinded in your support for this new rule could only mean two things.
1. You somehow stand to profit from this.
2. You actually believe that athletes are barely getting by.

If it's over number 1 then I congratulate you. Go get as much as you can. If it's number 2.....
On average scholarships include $6000 cash for those of us with math skills that's $500 cash per month to use how you see fit. They're getting by just fine.

Good job. Both those assertions are as dumb as your first post I responded to.

You're just another guy living in fear that someone is about to ruin your toy.

I can see a conflict of interest, imagine a player gets a contract with Nike, but the coach and school get a contract with New Balance... You could think up all the examples you want. Of course, while playing on the team, a player will use the equipment spec'd by the Coach, But having the bill boards outside the University, with a photo of one of their star players, "Game time I wear x, but when left up to My Choice I choose Y". This type of low cost counter ad, could hurt the big $$$ ads pouring money to coaches and the coaching staffs.

Does that make the new rule the insanity code.
Just kidding good info in your post.

The NCAA has been on an insanity trip of bureaucratic overreach since 1948.

When you spend most of your time on things like making the world of collegiate athletics safe from color photographs in media guides, you lose sight of the things you should be focused on.

McDonalds generates billions in revenue per quarter. Do the hourly employees get adequate compensation for what they provide monetarily? I'd bet a college student athlete receives more in monetary value annually while on scholarship compared to what a burger flipper makes. And colleges ain't making the money that McD does. The compensation student athletes receive on scholarships probably exceeds many jobs in the private sector.

The NCAA is only doing this because they were forced. And student athletes still aren't being paid for their contribution. They can just profit off their name/image.
I know for a fact that an out of state ride like these kids get can rival a first year PA. Certainly more than a master's in biomed or an architecture degree. But hey, that's not adequate right?

By and through the NCAA and conferences, which they formed i.e. cartel. College sports equivalent of OPEC.

What do you think all these rules came from?

Haha, than the schools would have to pay them real salaries and wages i.e. "employees", and they would still be subject to anti-trust, corruption, blacklisting laws, etc. If you believe the scholarships are compensation for services rendered this would make the whole scholarship taxable as well I believe, or quite possibly so.

These entities can't choose to pay their "employees" in dog biscuits - see your state and federal employment and labor laws.

Your understanding of these legal issues is not very good.
First paragraph is a witch hunt...... where have we seen that before. 2nd shows you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
I love college football. The history, traditions, atmosphere, rivalries, etc. All exciting.

The NCAA, which is not college football, is garbage.

Why does your ilk have such an issue compensating people for their free market value.
Because it is college football, not a professional sport. And it will not be free market value in the sense paying for fair services. In some instances yes, but mostly just a way for boosters to guarantee a player a certain amount of money for playing for a particular school. As horrible as the NCAA is, these rules have been created for a reason, to try and keep a semblance of a fair playing field. I guess if it turns into them all getting paid, I just don’t see the difference between that and any other professional league.

I know for a fact that an out of state ride like these kids get can rival a first year PA. Certainly more than a master's in biomed or an architecture degree. But hey, that's not adequate right?

This stance is so dumb. You live your life on the philosophy of "just adequate"?

Maybe you do.

VN Store

Back