Athletes getting paid.....terrible idea

I don't particularly like it... But I don't see it having a massive effect.

When is the last time a 5 star player went to Western Kentucky?

Players are generally going to the highest caliber school they can get to. That isn't going to change.

How do you make money off of your "name and likeness"? You get really good at football. That was already the goal anyway.

You might see a small advantage from schools like us against the South Carolinas and Mizzous... But I don't think the interconference gap is going to get any wider.

Reactions: Volanta
If I understand this correctly. The tennis player at UT could then give lessons and make money. They cannot do that at the moment can they?

Reactions: PhilFulmersGut
It's a complicated issue that everyone is trying to pigeonhole and fit into tidy little "for it" or "against it" boxes. But the reality is that this issue is going to sink college football as we know it...and that's sad.

Reactions: Volanta
They’re kids IMO, but allvol’s point still stands. Regardless of age, one should be able to make money off their own name if someone else is profiting.
They are students first.

"regardless of age" you include high school students in this catagory?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
No it isn’t. Kids enter college on a scholarship, which is an amateur contract. It’s been fine for over 100 years. The real problem is the money the coaches are making. If anything the NCAA needs to cap coaching salaries, and require coaches to teach a class.

LOL

That's not happening, this isn't HS.

Reactions: sjsmith87 and Behr
I don't particularly like it... But I don't see it having a massive effect.

When is the last time a 5 star player went to Western Kentucky?

Players are generally going to the highest caliber school they can get to. That isn't going to change.

How do you make money off of your "name and likeness"? You get really good at football. That was already the goal anyway.

You might see a small advantage from schools like us against the South Carolinas and Mizzous... But I don't think the interconference gap is going to get any wider.

It will make a huge impact. Schools like Oregon with high profile boosters like Nike will have a distinct advantage. Where would you sign if the sponsorship was between Nike and Golden Flake?

They are students first.

As far as the students first thing... The academic fraud is the only worse kept secret in college sports than the under the table payments.

I guess you can't really call it fraud because it is technically above board... But a Communications degree or a University Studies degree is about as valuable as the paper it is printed on.

Recruiting is Recruiting. So if they change does a coach have to recruit with an endorsement package. Stating if you play here we can bring you endorsements.

What if Georgia approves it and or other states do not? Does the SEC intervene if the NCAA does not approve it.

What about hidden money that cannot be tracked? For Example, kid shows up with new sports car and states he saved his money to purchase when it was purchased by a booster....

I think everyone is up in arms over a lot of nothing. These athletes have been getting paid, it has just all been under the table. Some of these 5 star kids are getting $200k or more! That doesn't even include all the perks of being an athlete in a college town. They don't ever pay for anything once they are here, then get some joke of a job in the summer that pays them a nice wage for doing nothing.

There have always been have and have nots in college athletics and there always will be. The only thing this really changes is making this money legal for the athletes, and therefore making it taxable. The idea that this will clean the game up or muddy it up even more is based on pure fantasy.

If they really cared about the well being of the athlete the NCAA would set up some type of health insurance for life for these guys. Think about some of these guys that played linebacker and started for a couple years but never had any shot at the NFL. Those are the guys that really need the help and support as they may not have the financial resources to get the medical/mental help they may need later in life.

The NCAA will be discussing this today and I’m going on record to say it’s a terrible idea that will only widen the divide between the haves and have nots. To my knowledge, what’s being discussed today is not a stipend that would go to every scholarship athletes regardless of sport. What’s being discussed today is the ability to profit from your name/image. There’s no possible way for this to not become a recruiting advantage for schools in bigger TV markets or conferences with more exposure. While the SEC would benefit because of the massive TV footprint, I don’t think it’s good for college football. Thoughts?

This helps sports like volleyball players though, they normally do not have full rides for school and have to work to pay for school. The current set up will not allow them to advertise that they are running the camp or any other avenue of that type of revenue. I am fine with it with limitations. I think it will help UT with the boosters we have if it does come down to a cheating game.

The athlete is more than welcome to make money off their own name/image. Just not in the NCAA. This whole argument is because of the NFL/NBA restrictions on when an athlete is eligible to be drafted. And yes, the NCAA makes a TON of money as a non-profit which it uses to fund non revenue producing sports. And other athletes on scholarship get injured as well without long term benefits. If football and basketball players want to get paid, go to the D league or get the NFL to make a feeder league. Does baseball have this issue?

Recruiting is Recruiting. So if they change does a coach have to recruit with an endorsement package. Stating if you play here we can bring you endorsements.

What if Georgia approves it and or other states do not? Does the SEC intervene if the NCAA does not approve it.

What about hidden money that cannot be tracked? For Example, kid shows up with new sports car and states he saved his money to purchase when it was purchased by a booster....

I know for a fact that a school has players that find money in their shoes after practice. I have a close friend that played for a certain power house program right now and said he walked into the locker room and found 2grand in his cleats.

I think everyone is up in arms over a lot of nothing. These athletes have been getting paid, it has just all been under the table. Some of these 5 star kids are getting $200k or more! That doesn't even include all the perks of being an athlete in a college town. They don't ever pay for anything once they are here, then get some joke of a job in the summer that pays them a nice wage for doing nothing.

There have always been have and have nots in college athletics and there always will be. The only thing this really changes is making this money legal for the athletes, and therefore making it taxable. The idea that this will clean the game up or muddy it up even more is based on pure fantasy.

If they really cared about the well being of the athlete the NCAA would set up some type of health insurance for life for these guys. Think about some of these guys that played linebacker and started for a couple years but never had any shot at the NFL. Those are the guys that really need the help and support as they may not have the financial resources to get the medical/mental help they may need later in life.
When a player enters a sport, do you think they are warned and told about damage and the likelihood of that happening? They do see all the reports of "brain damage" in the news and on tv? If they are fully aware of the dangers involved and still choose to go down that path, the school should carry insurance on them for life?

No it isn’t. Kids enter college on a scholarship, which is an amateur contract. It’s been fine for over 100 years. The real problem is the money the coaches are making. If anything the NCAA needs to cap coaching salaries, and require coaches to teach a class.
Both of your points make it seem like you have a problem with people making the money the market deems them to be worthy of. Why?

They’re kids IMO, but allvol’s point still stands. Regardless of age, one should be able to make money off their own name if someone else is profiting.

As it stands certain medical and scientific entities are already making money off YOUR DNA despite the fact that technically they shouldn't legally be able to do so without your permission. Indeed, my wife had a remarkable recovery to an ailment that defied conventional odds. She was asked to sign a form asking if the hospital could use her blood sample for further research. I advised her to decline due to how such material was being used for profit and police departments gaining access without patient knowledge or permission. The nurse/techie responded, "Doesn't matter we have it anyway." In a sense this parallel's athlete likeness and image used by colleges and affiliates, including TV broadcast stations. This tells me that we don't even own ourselves and that's just beyond wrong.

They are students first.

They are humans first. This idea that this a$$hat organization, the NCAA, should be able to wield this power over them is assinine.

We can all still enjoy football. Jennings doing a Ted Russell Ford commercial does not hurt anyone.

It will make a huge impact. Schools like Oregon with high profile boosters like Nike will have a distinct advantage. Where would you sign if the sponsorship was between Nike and Golden Flake?

They can only take about 20. This is already happening under the table. Wont change much in terms of hierarchy.

We're always near the top of revenue for our football program and we have some big time donors. There is no pro sports in East Tennessee. This could help our rebuild. Heck if we get high enough profile athletes we might be able to work a deal so they can get some Dish or Pilot ad revenue.

They are students first.

I do not think that colleges should be allowed to pay HS kids, no, if maybe that’s what you’re asking? Only athletes that are currently enrolled in your college. Bc surely you’re not comparing how much money high schools and any governing bodies make to what the NCAA and colleges make off of student athletes?? These aren’t even close to similar conversations.

But since you asked, yes, You bring in money = you get paid. Why is this so scary?

Reactions: PhilFulmersGut

VN Store

Back