AT&T/Disney carriage dispute

AT&T/DirectTV, Comcast, Charter, Dish, and whoever, all pay a fee per subscriber to every channel broadcaster that they air, Sports networks, showtime, ETC. Currently, ESPN charges $7.21 per subscriber for their channels. So out of our cable bill that we pay every month, $7.21 of it is paid to ESPN by the subscriber that you get your service from. ESPN fees are about 54% higher than any other network, Which is where the money to pay NFL tv rights, SEC and other leagues money comes from. So either ESPN is wanting more or AT&T/Direct TV wants to pay less. With all the streaming going on and less of us subscribing thru traditional cable services, I think ESPN has been losing money and wants a bigger cut.

I'd guess it's both. ESPN will probably be a part of Disney's streaming service. Disney probably isn't worried because they think everyone will sign up for their service. So they ask for better prices and if it doesn't go their way, they think they'll just make it up on streaming because people want their sports and disney.

AT&T is in a losing battle here. They're already losing customers as more people cut off Direct Tv/U-Verse. So if they cave to Disney, they'll probably raise prices to offset which will in turn speed up customer loss. Or they reach no deal with Disney, and customers are mad about losing sports/disney so they leave AT&T/Direct TV.

I don't think this will just be limited to Direct Tv/ATT. Xfinity, Dish, and anyone else will probably face the same thing when their contract is up with Disney.

I'd guess it's both. ESPN will probably be a part of Disney's streaming service. Disney probably isn't worried because they think everyone will sign up for their service. So they ask for better prices and if it doesn't go their way, they think they'll just make it up on streaming because people want their sports and disney.

AT&T is in a losing battle here. They're already losing customers as more people cut off Direct Tv/U-Verse. So if they cave to Disney, they'll probably raise prices to offset which will in turn speed up customer loss. Or they reach no deal with Disney, and customers are mad about losing sports/disney so they leave AT&T/Direct TV.

I don't think this will just be limited to Direct Tv/ATT. Xfinity, Dish, and anyone else will probably face the same thing when their contract is up with Disney.
Man I didn't like it when Direct got bought by AT &T. They had great customer service and its total garbage with AT&T. My current contract with them is up at the end of this month, I may take a test run on one of the streaming services and see how it goes.

So, did they reach a new deal today? I can't check due to me being away from home.

No agreement has been made. They’re still in negotiations, but Disney had given AT&T short term extensions that could expire at any time today.

It’s rumored that the extension runs only until 12:00 ET, which is when the games start, so it’s still up in the air.

Last edited:
All of you keep talking about ESPN networks but its a lot more than that if you have kids/grand kids be prepared to lose....

Disney Channel
Disney Channel WestCoast
Disney XD
Disney Junior
Freeform

Not sure if they are included but Disney also owns all or part of....

FX
FXX
FXM
National Geographic TV
Nat Geo Wild
History
Viceland
A&E
Lifetime
Lifetime Movies

DirecTV at it again looking like I might be losing my local ABC & FOX stations. I lost the CW back in late May or June.

DirecTV at it again looking like I might be losing my local ABC & FOX stations. I lost the CW back in late May or June.

Oh WOW. Nashville, Chat, and the Tri-cities would be screwed. Luckily no Memphis stations are owned by Sinclair.

I’m getting tired of AT&T playing hardball.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
Every time I see this thread title I think of this:

disney-cinderella-storybook.jpg

Reactions: Lurkerin
Add Dish to the carriage dispute battle. Then and Fox can't come to an agreement, so now Dish customers in 23 markets don't have Fox or any of the other Fox channels like FS1.

VN Store

Back