Assistant Coach Lacey Goldwire is leaving Tennessee

You realize that other coaches form relationships with players and take part in recruiting outside of the recruiting coordinator, right?

Based on how the staff has recruited so far it was unlikely any of them were coming here regardless of who left from the staff.
Players ultimately have a primary relationship with the head coach.

Reactions: GameTime
It's like it's a contest to see who can be the most random when naming former LVs.

"Brittany Jackson!!"
"Alexis Hornbuckle."
"Chamique!!!"
"No, Shallon Pillow."
"Maybe Ariel Massengale."
"Butts! Tasha Butts!!"
Tasha Butts is an excellent coach and has just been promoted at GA Tech.

Players ultimately have a primary relationship with the head coach.

This is not true in modern basketball. Some head coaches intentionally limit relationships with players and count on their assistants for that. Would not be my style, but it’s done regularly these days. Takes the emotions out of playing time decisions and other head coaching decisions.

Kellie has said that it was important to her that Pat personally came to her house to make her pitch. But i get that the lead recruiters are the ones checking in constantly, stroking egos, adding personal touches like birthday greetings, etc

Last edited:
Tasha Butts is an excellent coach and has just been promoted at GA Tech.

Tasha has been an assistant for a long time, with most of that time being under Nikki at UCLA and LSU. But TBQH she doesn't have a ton of success to show for it in terms of program results, but out of all the former LVs out there that are available for the position, she and Niya Butts would probably be the best available options. Regardless, I don't see Butts leaving a position as associate HC and clearly being in line as a future HC somewhere to become an assistant here.

Tasha has been an assistant for a long time, with most of that time being under Nikki at UCLA and LSU. But TBQH she doesn't have a ton of success to show for it in terms of program results, but out of all the former LVs out there that are available for the position, she and Niya Butts would probably be the best available options. Regardless, I don't see Butts leaving a position as associate HC and clearly being in line as a future HC somewhere to become an assistant here.

Also, she's now less than 2 hours from her hometown of Milledgeville, and assuming she still has family and friends there that's a major plus for staying in Atlanta. The major downside of staying in Atlanta is Atlanta traffic. I wouldn't wish that mess on my worst enemy.

Kellie has said that it was important to her that Pat personally came to her house to make her pitch. But i get that the lead recruiters are the ones checking in constantly, stroking egos, adding personal touches like birthday greetings, etc
you don't say

Also, she's now less than 2 hours from her hometown of Milledgeville, and assuming she still has family and friends there that's a major plus for staying in Atlanta. The major downside of staying in Atlanta is Atlanta traffic. I wouldn't wish that mess on my worst enemy.

That's true. I think location probably played into her leaving LSU for GT.

Goldwire is not irreplaceable, so what's the big deal about her leaving UT?

Nobody is irreplaceable, just ask Beyoncé.

Just never fun when people you support depart the program. Whether it’s a player or a coach you always hope for the best. Just bummed that it apparently wasn’t working out.

Nobody is irreplaceable, just ask Beyoncé.

Just never fun when people you support depart the program. Whether it’s a player or a coach you always hope for the best. Just bummed that it apparently wasn’t working out.

I would feel the same way if she was released or was told a change was going to be made. Maybe she was told that but all I've seen is speculation and in situations like this, speculation is just about worthless other than for entertainment purposes.. I guess people will spin things to suit themselves. I hate it that for whatever reason things didn't work out.

Looks like Kellie rebounded well. I wonder if everything was settled well before this weeks announcement. The even bigger question is where is Kellie with 2022 recruiting. Just because no announcements have been made doesn't mean recruiting is over. Too much uninformed speculation about that as well. There are only 3 posters I would believe that have some access inside and they probably won't say.

VN Store

Back