Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Perfect.

Did you look it up on the internet? Which one? I just looked to see if any looked like my moms. She did what she called a Pea salad that was I think the same thing she just switched a couple of ingredients.

My mom served hers in a glass baking dish, those in the big glass bowls look nice.

Presentation is errythang.

Had to go back to google to make sure I had it. It was taste of home and Allrecipes. I really like Allrecipes.

Reactions: tnuhcvols
Perfect.

Did you look it up on the internet? Which one? I just looked to see if any looked like my moms. She did what she called a Pea salad that was I think the same thing she just switched a couple of ingredients.

My mom served hers in a glass baking dish, those in the big glass bowls look nice.

Presentation is errythang.
7 layer salad?

Had to go back to google to make sure I had it. It was taste of home and Allrecipes. I really like Allrecipes.

Just looked at those and about 10 others, really the only differences were type of beans and the actual cornbread. Spruce eats is one I always look for if I'm looking on the internet, they were one of the few that made real cornbread.

What kind d of beans did you use? Damn near any would be good. A lot of different alternatives.

7 layer salad?
Yea, but not really. Best I can remember..was chopped ice berg lettuce, mayo/salad dressing probably miracle whip, green peas, more lettuce, boiled eggs, shredded cheddar, bacon, chopped tomatoes and croutons, she loved her some croutons. And she had the amounts perfected, because even as a kid that stuff was amazing!

So actually I guess, I just never thought if it as anything but moms pea salad.

Just looked at those and about 10 others, really the only differences were type of beans and the actual cornbread. Spruce eats is one I always look for if I'm looking on the internet, they were one of the few that made real cornbread.

What kind d of beans did you use? Damn near any would be good. A lot of different alternatives.

I used pinto beans. Cornbread, just a basic, plain Jane version. Not much of a cornbread person, as far as eating it, but can make it respectable. I’ll look up Spruce eats.

Reactions: Behr
Yea, but not really. Best I can remember..was chopped ice berg lettuce, mayo/salad dressing probably miracle whip, green peas, more lettuce, boiled eggs, shredded cheddar, bacon, chopped tomatoes and croutons, she loved her some croutons. And she had the amounts perfected, because even as a kid that stuff was amazing!

So actually I guess, I just never thought if it as anything but moms pea salad.

Just plain mayo, bacon crumbles (can use chopped ham also), never used the miracle whip, everything else, yes.

Need to try this.

Well, I wasn't really recommending that one, I just liked that they actually made cornbread and not a muffin mix. The one she made looks just as good, it just used a mix. Obviously you can use either, but Im just weird when looking at recipes, especially on the internet.

I'm glad she brought it up, there's a lot of different directions you can go with it. Mikey could go with Cannellini beans, pancetta, mozzarella, ricotta etc.....

Ypu guys are ruining the food thread talking about food!

I got me a carmello at walmart, my goodness those are good.

Was gonna start The Bourne Identity an hour ago, then got into food. Looked in a couple of books to see if I had anything, one by Julia Child and now I'm looking at Veloute.
I'm watching the Ohio state game for now. Hoping northwestern can give them a fit.

Reactions: Behr
Most of the time those are the best. IMO. Just need the basic then add your "personality". It definitely didn't have the best picture. Lol.

I do that all the time with recipes I come across. I found my very first recipe book given to me as a gift the other day (dated 1988). I was in my first year of the Navy, having to cook for myself for the very first time. Never had much interest before then. It created a spark.

Whenever I am in a used bookstore I look for a first edition of Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
That's exactly what I'm looking at. I also have my Escoffier Cookbook by Augusta Escoffier. Those two and A Guide to Modern Cookery Scholars Choice, by Escoffier are probably my 3 favorites. I have close to 300.

I feel different about Julia. I can't watch her long, but she had a passion for food like no other.

Well, I wasn't really recommending that one, I just liked that they actually made cornbread and not a muffin mix. The one she made looks just as good, it just used a mix. Obviously you can use either, but Im just weird when looking at recipes, especially on the internet.

I'm glad she brought it up, there's a lot of different directions you can go with it. Mikey could go with Cannellini beans, pancetta, mozzarella, ricotta etc.....

Muffin mix is too sweet and hide everything else, or that would be by my taste.

VN Store

Back