Asheville?

Asheville sucks. We went last year. We’re not really drinkers so unless you’re into the microbrewery scene, you’ll have nothing to do.

That being said, the Omni Grove Park Inn is the coolest place there. It’s a hotel that is basically it’s own vacation resort. If for any reason we ever go back to Asheville, it will be to stay there.
lol - you don't like beer, OK, do you like food? The mountains/outdoors? Shopping? Live music?

Reactions: VolNExile
My only experience there is as a vacationer. Is the real estate pricy, too?
I guess that I'm thinking about a couple of neighborhoods where my friend used to live. They were in gated neighborhoods, and everything was well over a million. You pay for a long views off the side of a mountain. I'm sure that there are cheaper places over there. I go over there 3 or 4 times a year to meet him to eat. It's halfway between where he now lives near Atlanta and where I live.

lol - you don't like beer, OK, do you like food? The mountains/outdoors? Shopping? Live music?

Food - yes, and I thought the food there was garbage. We tried several “highly recommended” restaurants, the only two places we liked were one hole in the wall pizza place, and Sunshine Sammies ice cream.

Mountains/outdoors - sure. We had fun climbing the big rock on the outside of Asheville, the name escapes me at the moment.

Shopping - I guess, but I can do that anywhere.

Live Music - Absolutely despise it.

Food - yes, and I thought the food there was garbage. We tried several “highly recommended” restaurants, the only two places we liked were one hole in the wall pizza place, and Sunshine Sammies ice cream.

Mountains/outdoors - sure. We had fun climbing the big rock on the outside of Asheville, the name escapes me at the moment.

Surprised you live in Chattanooga (presumably) then.

So I’m guessing you don’t like Asheville overall ?

Food - yes, and I thought the food there was garbage.

Wow, you sure we are talking about the same place?

Curate, Chestnut, Red Stag, Corner Kitchen, Bouchon, Zambra, Tupelo Honey, the two restaurants at Grove Park....

I'm fairly particular with food, and I absolutely love going to Asheville for the dining.

Curate, Chestnut, Red Stag, Corner Kitchen, Bouchon, Zambra, Tupelo Honey, the two restaurants at Grove Park....

I'm fairly particular with food, and I absolutely love going to Asheville for the dining.
You haven’t even gotten around to mentioning some of my faves. Neo Burrito. Rocky’s Hot Chicken Shack. 12 Bones. Papas and Beer.

So I’m guessing you don’t like Asheville overall ?
I have to admit I laughed out loud at the "despise" live music comment. I'm not even a live music junkie myself, just found it odd that it can be disliked that strongly.

@chatt-townVOL Which places did you eat at that you thought were garbage? If you're into Olive Garden, Red Lobster, that type of thing, I guess I can see why you didn't like the food. However there are also a ton of casual, unpretentious, simple local places there with good food.

You haven’t even gotten around to mentioning some of my faves. Neo Burrito. Rocky’s Hot Chicken Shack. 12 Bones. Papas and Beer.
My wife has celiac dz, so we have to eat places that are "gluten friendly," which can be a pain sometimes. We had a great burger right in the middle of downtown last trip. I haven't had BBQ at 12 Bones, but it's on my list.

Farm Burger? Love that place

Curate and Red Stag are 2 of my favorites.

You party animal, you. 🤪

To the other “eat here” posts, I’ll add the places we walk to:
Nine Mile West
U-Joint (Universal Joint)
Standard Pizza omg
Sunny Point Cafe
Biscuit Head
Zia Taqueria
The Admiral (although recent menu changes made me sad)
The Hop
West Village Bakery
sometimes Isis Music Hall
sometimes Westville Pub
Early Girl
Tastee Diner
Oyster House
umpty-billion food trucks
deeply miss Nona Mia Italian Kitchen
doubtless forgot a few

Again, these are within WALKING distance, as in six blocks or so from our front porch.

Sorry that you didn’t have a good experience, although I will thank you for reducing the tourist count by (presumably) two. 1565307790764.gif

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
You party animal, you. 🤪

To the other “eat here” posts, I’ll add the places we walk to:
Nine Mile West
U-Joint (Universal Joint)
Standard Pizza omg
Sunny Point Cafe
Biscuit Head
Zia Taqueria
The Admiral (although recent menu changes made me sad)
The Hop
West Village Bakery
sometimes Isis Music Hall
sometimes Westville Pub
Early Girl
Tastee Diner
Oyster House
umpty-billion food trucks
deeply miss Nona Mia Italian Kitchen
doubtless forgot a few

Again, these are within WALKING distance, as in six blocks or so from our front porch.

Sorry that you didn’t have a good experience, although I will thank you for reducing the tourist count by (presumably) two. View attachment 216827

That sounds awesome. I would love to be able live in Asheville like that. My family is from just over the mountain in Unicoi County and in my other days I spent quite a bit of time partying in Asheville. Good times.

That sounds awesome. I would love to be able live in Asheville like that. My family is from just over the mountain in Unicoi County and in my other days I spent quite a bit of time partying in Asheville. Good times.
It has gotten pricey as hell (2 BR/1 BA for $300k+), but our neighborhood has old houses, big front porches, and sidewalks full of people. The way life used to be.

Edit to add: and 2-3,000 people on Halloween. 🤪 We are bracing in an attempt to get ready after moving around the corner from our little house to our big house.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
It has gotten pricey as hell (2 BR/1 BA for $300k+), but our neighborhood has old houses, big front porches, and sidewalks full of people. The way life used to be.

Edit to add: and 2-3,000 people on Halloween. 🤪 We are bracing in an attempt to get ready after moving around the corner from our little house to our big house.

Thats what I’ve heard price wise. I didn’t realize Halloween was that big there.

VN Store

Back