As the season fast approaches, just remember...

Those Holly players have real potential if they are coached up the right way. I think they will fit into her system. The thing I liked from the clips of her old team (KJH) they get to the open spots on the floor. The other cool thing was that her players KNEW their roles and played their parts really well.
Don't think we should bad mouth these players by tagging them Holly players. They are solid talented players that just need coaching up

Don't think we should bad mouth these players by tagging them Holly players. They are solid talented players that just need coaching up

And I don't think we need to badmouth Holly for the part of her job that she and her staff did really, really well. I think I get what you're trying to say, but the fact remains that the majority of Kellie's team is there because Holly and her staff got them there. They did a fine job recruiting, and I'm happy with the players we have because of them.

Now, do I think that Kellie's energy and intensity and ability to communicate effectively will bring out a depth to each of Holly's recruits that might not have been reached under the previous staff? Yes. I believe that Kellie will be able to reach the players in a way that makes them believe in her and, thus, make them better players. But Holly did try her best to do a job that she was not built to do, and she was actually a terrific recruiter. I will always admire and appreciate the fine job that Holly and her staff did on the recruiting side.

I wasnt badmouthing them by calling them Holly players. The reality is that Holly brought them here and I was saying those players are talented and will thrive with the proper coaching. I was actually defending them from a previous post/poster who was implying we needed to get rid of the ones on the squad and allow Kellie to get her recruits in here. I think she can win with what she has but at the level we were accustomed it will take time to still her system and some toughness but these young ladies are up for the challenge they all came from demanding high schools it seems.

If there is a need to bad mouth players ...? Let’s pick on DD , Tea , Annie , Evina , MiMi, and any other players that exited the program that Holly built . The ones left .... let’s support them !

Let’s see .... this years TOP guard ( Jordan ) , last years top ten guard ( Green ) and our leader in waiting and just a junior ( Davis ) a top ten player in her own right ! That’s a top player for the last three years ! That’s a pretty good start for a fairly good ball team ! Just saying Add in a senior big and a couple of junior bigs , and a couple of freshmen bigs ! And wallah .... you have the makings of a basketball team ! Throw in some supporting players and you just might win more games than you might think 🤔 I can’t wait 😊

If there is a need to bad mouth players ...? Let’s pick on DD , Tea , Annie , Evina , MiMi, and any other players that exited the program that Holly built . The ones left .... let’s support them !

Let’s see .... this years TOP guard ( Jordan ) , last years top ten guard ( Green ) and our leader in waiting and just a junior ( Davis ) a top ten player in her own right ! That’s a top player for the last three years ! That’s a pretty good start for a fairly good ball team ! Just saying Add in a senior big and a couple of junior bigs , and a couple of freshmen bigs ! And wallah .... you have the makings of a basketball team ! Throw in some supporting players and you just might win more games than you might think 🤔 I can’t wait 😊

throw in more supporting fans
and they may just win even more games.

What I think of this years teams before the season starts is that we've got what we need at the point. Two guard needs a better shooter hopefully Green has improved enough to fill that need. Davis is excellent on offense was terrible at times on defense she needs to be a lot better on the defensive end. Were to young in the post other than KK who hasn't shown much as of yet. How this group plays determines a lot. The hope is top four SEC and at least sweet 16 in the NCAA Tourney. That would be huge because we have 10 players back next season which will only matter if they show huge improvement this season. I am hoping we can at least get 22 and 7 regular season, 2 and 1 in the SEC tourney and at least 2 and 1 in the NCAA that would be 26 wins 9 losses not bad considering the teams youth this season.

Lady Vols will make NCAA tournament and could get to Sweet 16

Sweet 16 is the over/under bar IMO. If she makes it there, she has met expectations. If she advances further that would be an above average coaching job with this roster. Not making it past the first weekend would be extremely disappointing...

We’re too young in the post other than KK who hasn't shown much as of yet.

Just wanted to say that I get encouraged when I think about some of Kasi’s best performances last season. I don’t know if anyone else remembers them, but there were a couple of eyebrow-raising (in a good way!) moments last season that had me feeling confident about her future — IF she learns to play that way consistently. I wish I could remember what games they were because I’d love to try to watch them again.

Anyway, I’ve put my faith in Jon to bring out the best in Kasi, Tamara and Emily. If he’s up to the task and if they’re up for putting in the work, this season could be a lot of fun. We really need our posts to be able to box out and get rebounds because I have a feeling we’ll be seeing more three-point attempts.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Just wanted to say that I get encouraged when I think about some of Kasi’s best performances last season. I don’t know if anyone else remembers them, but there were a couple of eyebrow-raising (in a good way!) moments last season that had me feeling confident about her future — IF she learns to play that way consistently. I wish I could remember what games they were because I’d love to try to watch them again.

Anyway, I’ve put my faith in Jon to bring out the best in Kasi, Tamara and Emily. If he’s up to the task and if they’re up for putting in the work, this season could be a lot of fun. We really need our posts to be able to box out and get rebounds because I have a feeling we’ll be seeing more three-point attempts.

She definitely had a good game in their 1st round loss against UCLA. We need that Kasi to show up every night. I, too, am hoping that Jon brings out the best in our post players -- that he can unleash the inner beast. I want to see post players who are eager to dominate and impose their presence.

Reactions: lvocd

KK was injured a lot so that certainly had an effect on her play. Hopefully with better conditioning her skill will be more visible this season. If we can get 20 ppg and 15 rebounds out of the post players as a group will JMO be an excellent total from the center position. Interested to see what Jayden McCoy has to offer seems she may be the starter at the four. Overall team in most games last season scored enough to win could not defend the other team. Allowing totals like 86 to Bama, 80 to Arkansas, and 91 to Miss St among other games are almost always certain losses hard for any offense to overcome defensive play like that. Still a lot to be determined about this team we don't know what were getting. Of course were hoping for each and every highly ranked player to finally live up to their talent on both ends of the floor. I don't want to get into to much hype as in past years got to excited and of course team fell flat on their face. We'll know quickly if this team is better defensively and if players have elevated their games. The main thing a coach brings is the ability to develop players and that is what I will be looking at. Holly could never develop players they didn't seem to get better until they left Tennessee hopefully Kellie can develop players just as important as any other part of a winning program. Better defense will be the key if we can keep teams in the 60 no more than 70 range always a chance to win.

Reactions: lvocd
KK was injured a lot so that certainly had an effect on her play. Hopefully with better conditioning her skill will be more visible this season. If we can get 20 ppg and 15 rebounds out of the post players as a group will JMO be an excellent total from the center position. Interested to see what Jayden McCoy has to offer seems she may be the starter at the four. Overall team in most games last season scored enough to win could not defend the other team. Allowing totals like 86 to Bama, 80 to Arkansas, and 91 to Miss St among other games are almost always certain losses hard for any offense to overcome defensive play like that. Still a lot to be determined about this team we don't know what were getting. Of course were hoping for each and every highly ranked player to finally live up to their talent on both ends of the floor. I don't want to get into to much hype as in past years got to excited and of course team fell flat on their face. We'll know quickly if this team is better defensively and if players have elevated their games. The main thing a coach brings is the ability to develop players and that is what I will be looking at. Holly could never develop players they didn't seem to get better until they left Tennessee hopefully Kellie can develop players just as important as any other part of a winning program. Better defense will be the key if we can keep teams in the 60 no more than 70 range always a chance to win.

I like that goal: 20 points and 15 rebounds each game from the posts as a group. Frankly, I don’t see us winning any of those “steal a win from a team you were supposed to lose to games” unless Jon gets at LEAST that from the group.

Another thing I’d like to see from our post group is an increase in the number of times they are able to get themselves to the free throw line, and then shoot a high average from there.

I do know that Kellie’s past teams have worked hard on boxing out. If our posts can get into the habit of outworking everyone else, they’ll become physically stronger and quicker and mentally prepared to be in the best position to consistently snag the majority of rebounds in EVERY game. The key is to box out so effectively that opposing defenders eventually start getting tired, aggravated and desperate enough to start hacking our posts, and hope the officials call it. If they do, we then just have to make them pay at the free throw line!

A lot is riding on our posts, but then they’ll not get a chance to shine unless the guards can knock down enough shots between 15-23 feet to unclog the lane.

I’m really excited to watch how the team progresses this season from opening game to the last.

Reactions: Volfan2012

VN Store

Back