As a Barnes “Disparager”

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I have to say today I was really impressed with how we played and some of the little things I saw. I saw a lot more ball screens today than I have in Barnes’ offense. Even though the three pointers weren’t falling early we didn’t go away from it. We pushed consistently and looked to score via pushing the pace. We didn’t push the pace so we can run more off ball screens for an extra five seconds. The guards were pushing to get in the opponent’s lane and create. And the biggest thing I saw was Barnes let Kennedy Chandler control the game. It reminded me a lot when DJ Augustin was at Texas. He let Chandler control the flow of the game, let him make a mistake or two and gave him the opportunity to dominate. And I thought Tennessee had great balance using Fulkerson in the post to start the second half when Colorado tried to extend the defense.

Now, as a caveat…we’ve seen Barnes let teams push the pace before and slow up by conference play. So, I still am hesitant that this will continue (and usually conference ball is played a little slower anyways, especially with the coaches in the SEC currently). But I loved that we still took 24 three pointers. I love that when Colorado got it within 5-6, Barnes let his team continue to push the pace. Those two things are changes from in the past where Barnes would have demanded post ups or drain the clock to find a mid-range shot.

While I don’t have the numbers in front of me, I would not be surprised if this was the most three pointers Tennessee has attempted as a team in any eight game stretch (maybe the first season). And we are top 100 in adjusted tempo according to kenpom as of today. That's a good number and much higher than we have been the last few years. I’m liking the philosophical changes. And having two point guards in Ziegler and Chandler play like this for 40 minutes really, really helps. If Tennessee continues to play this type of basketball, they’ll have a real chance in March to advance. Great work by Barnes and the team today.

I agree that today’s game was impressive. We certainly didn’t shoot well, but I thought the over all defensive effort was impressive and the team gave great effort. Chandler was extremely effective, even with his poor three point shooting was off. I really like the make up of this team.

It was a great road win. Boulder is a tough place to play. I was really concerned early when the shots weren’t falling this was going to be Villanova 2.0. It was so nice to see the defense step up today. I know Barnes really preaches and prioritizes defense, so I’m sure he was happy.

Only thing that was frustrating was we continue to be inconsistent at the perimeter, so I really don’t know if we’re a “good” 3-ball team or not. We have tons of “threats” but there isn’t much consistency. I guess Texas Tech will be a good way to find out more.

It was a great road win. Boulder is a tough place to play. I was really concerned early when the shots weren’t falling this was going to be Villanova 2.0. It was so nice to see the defense step up today. I know Barnes really preaches and prioritizes defense, so I’m sure he was happy.

Only thing that was frustrating was we continue to be inconsistent at the perimeter, so I really don’t know if we’re a “good” 3-ball team or not. We have tons of “threats” but there isn’t much consistency. I guess Texas Tech will be a good way to find out more.
I agree about the defense, happy to see that improving with each game

With the offense, I feel like that just comes with the territory when you're a team leaning on three point shooting like we seem to be now. Some nights you'll be hot, some nights cold. Because of that, I turn to the lack of inside scoring. Fulk can give us 8-12 fairly consistently, but otherwise? ON got 3, Uros 4, BHH 0. When we have a game like this where its tough from outside, those guys have to do better, cause not every team is gonna let KC drive past them every single possession for 2 points. I guess we have the same concern really, that we won't be able to score enough when we can't shoot the three, so for me that makes me worry about post scoring. I don't think I've explained myself super well

I have to say today I was really impressed with how we played and some of the little things I saw. I saw a lot more ball screens today than I have in Barnes’ offense. Even though the three pointers weren’t falling early we didn’t go away from it. We pushed consistently and looked to score via pushing the pace. We didn’t push the pace so we can run more off ball screens for an extra five seconds. The guards were pushing to get in the opponent’s lane and create. And the biggest thing I saw was Barnes let Kennedy Chandler control the game. It reminded me a lot when DJ Augustin was at Texas. He let Chandler control the flow of the game, let him make a mistake or two and gave him the opportunity to dominate. And I thought Tennessee had great balance using Fulkerson in the post to start the second half when Colorado tried to extend the defense.

Now, as a caveat…we’ve seen Barnes let teams push the pace before and slow up by conference play. So, I still am hesitant that this will continue (and usually conference ball is played a little slower anyways, especially with the coaches in the SEC currently). But I loved that we still took 24 three pointers. I love that when Colorado got it within 5-6, Barnes let his team continue to push the pace. Those two things are changes from in the past where Barnes would have demanded post ups or drain the clock to find a mid-range shot.

While I don’t have the numbers in front of me, I would not be surprised if this was the most three pointers Tennessee has attempted as a team in any eight game stretch (maybe the first season). And we are top 100 in adjusted tempo according to kenpom as of today. That's a good number and much higher than we have been the last few years. I’m liking the philosophical changes. And having two point guards in Ziegler and Chandler play like this for 40 minutes really, really helps. If Tennessee continues to play this type of basketball, they’ll have a real chance in March to advance. Great work by Barnes and the team today.
So you’re saying you’re coming out the closet?

You’re gonna struggle to find a team that shoots 40%+ from 3 every game over a season

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You’re gonna struggle to find a team that shoots 40%+ from 3 every game over a season

I’m not asking for 40% or more. But, in two of our three games against P5 opponents our perimeter game has been weak. We shot 6-24 today for 25%. We have to do better against good competition.

JJJ was a big reason for the reemergence of the defense. I thought he played outstanding for a player that's been out for an extended period.

In looking back, I wish coach had left Santi in a little longer in first half, he was just hitting his rhythm. He needs to learn to back off some if he gets his first foul early.

In my opinion when Triple J entered the game the game turned around in Tennessee’s favor. He does so many things that go unnoticed (LEADER #1) and that don’t show up in the box score. He’s probably never going to be a top scorer but he fills the stat sheet and so much more. He can play for me anytime.

VN Store

Back