Article: On The Walker Commitment

tfpOnline:Walker Commits To Vols
The toughest sell wasn’t young football prospect Chris Walker but his mother Gloria. This was her son’s future at stake, as well as her own.

"I kind of played devil’s advocate," said Gloria Walker, a teacher who didn’t hesitate to grill Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer or his staff. "Not one time did they disappoint me with their answers when I was asking the tough questions.

"They did everything right."

Walker received scholarship offers from roughly 15 colleges, and he had narrowed the list to Tennessee, LSU, Michigan and Clemson.

But all along, the Volunteers were his favorite. He wanted to commit after attending Tennessee’s home loss to Florida on Sept. 16, but he took his mother’s advice and waited to finish his senior season and shop around.

Perhaps the most critical moment of the process for Walker and his mother was a three-and-a-half hour home visit from Fulmer, who arrived on the first day college coaches were allowed to hit the recruiting trail.

"It spoke volumes about how important they thought Chris was to their program," Gloria said.

Added Chris: "Some coaches can tell you how important you are to them. They can tell you all this and that. But Coach Fulmer has been telling me that from the beginning. His showing up on the first day really made me think how truthful that was. It just made me feel better."

Walker was one of two players to commit to UT this weekend, joining junior college sophomore cornerback DeAngelo Willingham. That gives UT 23 commitments for its 2007 class.

The addition of Willingham, a South Carolina native attending a junior college in California, fills a pressing need on the Volunteers defense.

VN Store

Back