Arizona beats UConn

I love seeing Geno lose in the NCAA and deny him a NC but agree, he gets all the top 5 recruits he needs to stay good. They will be a NC factor every year he is there. They are not declining, I just think the overall level of WBB is getting better. You rarely see a team that's not a 1-2 seed make the final 4 in the women's tourney. Hope AZ is changing that.

Geno and his girls the past 4 years are exactly where the Lady Vols have been the last 4 years. Watching the Women's championship game on tv. He and his program are transitioning down and we're on our way up. His national player of the year was outplayed by two fine players, Carrington at Baylor and McDonald at Arizona demonstrating he pulled strings for his girl who did not deserve it IMO. Player of the year should be reserved voting until the actual year completes and championship determined.
l like to see unconn , south caroline, texas am ,and few more lose some suport from the refs dean c. is ref if i was coach i object too. is true a team can object to three refs a year?

I just don’t see Kellie Harper taking us to the promised land. Selling Lady Vol basketball, the University of Tennessee, and all the tools to win here shouldn’t have been a very hard sell to a proven HC.

1617464231719.gif

Don't know or care much about women's basketball, but always appreciate it when a coach throws up a bird to the opponent.

Congratulations to the Lady Wildcats on a magnificent win over UCONN. This is what can happens when you focus on your team and your mission instead of how great some other team or player may be, and do your jobs, great win for Arizona. The only star on the team was the "TEAM".

Don't know or care much about women's basketball, but always appreciate it when a coach throws up a bird to the opponent.
I don’t think it was a bird to the opponent, but rather to the NCAA for having disrespected them enough to leave them completely out of the Final Four promo video that featured only three of the teams involved, as well as a bird to everyone who discounted and underestimated them all season long.

Well I think you are selling UConn short.... the transitioning down part of your statement.... if you see who UConn has coming in next year and the year after.... it is apparent that UConn is going nowhere but the place they were.... we hate them yes but they are very good

All true but they were VERY lucky to make the Final 4. So, they could start to find tha3t FF are not so automatic.

I do think for the last few seasons in particular, Uconn has been perhaps over rated by virtue of playing in a weak conference where they can dominant teams with ease. Arizona did a great job in exposing weaknesses in Paige B's game (she is not yet a physical player) and pushing Uconn out of their comfort zone. Not every team is built do that and so hats off to Arizona but I think more teams are going to start figuring out how play Uconn and not coming into the game intimidated. Let's not forget, the LVs could have easily won that game if not for a few mistakes down the stretch.

All true but they were VERY lucky to make the Final 4. So, they could start to find tha3t FF are not so automatic.

I do think for the last few seasons in particular, Uconn has been perhaps over rated by virtue of playing in a weak conference where they can dominant teams with ease. Arizona did a great job in exposing weaknesses in Paige B's game (she is not yet a physical player) and pushing Uconn out of their comfort zone. Not every team is built do that and so hats off to Arizona but I think more teams are going to start figuring out how play Uconn and not coming into the game intimidated. Let's not forget, the LVs could have easily won that game if not for a few mistakes down the stretch.

Considering the fact that in recent years CT typically has a very strong out-of-conference schedule and usually wins those games, it doesn’t seem to me that they’re being over rated. I honestly don’t think voters even consider their performance versus conference opponents since it has been a foregone conclusion that CT will easily dominate their conference every year for the last 25-plus years. But what those who rate teams DO notice is that CT usually ends up winning those big Monday night showcase games, regardless of their weaker conference. : /

Reactions: feathersax
I don’t think it was a bird to the opponent, but rather to the NCAA for having disrespected them enough to leave them completely out of the Final Four promo video that featured only three of the teams involved, as well as a bird to everyone who discounted and underestimated them all season long.

I think it was a bird to Jeff Walz just to incense his ardent supporters on this forum.

Very Insightful comments, Madtownvol. The Lady Vols could have defeated UConn except for late turnovers and other mistakes. Even UConn fans said the LVs "gave" the game to UConn. Also, the Arizona defenders made Peanut But, oops, I mean Paige B. rush her shots. She hit the side of the backboard on 1 or 2 shots. Having said this, I wish like crazy she was a Lady Vol. Also, UConn has not had a great post/power forward player since Breanna Stewart. Teams have learned to exploit this weakness.

Reactions: madtownvol
Very Insightful comments, Madtownvol. The Lady Vols could have defeated UConn except for late turnovers and other mistakes. Even UConn fans said the LVs "gave" the game to UConn. Also, the Arizona defenders made Peanut But, oops, I mean Paige B. rush her shots. She hit the side of the backboard on 1 or 2 shots. Having said this, I wish like crazy she was a Lady Vol. Also, UConn has not had a great post/power forward player since Breanna Stewart. Teams have learned to exploit this weakness.

They had Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier for a few years after Stewart graduated. They were both first team AAs and top 5 WNBA picks. But since then, the post has been a major weakness for them.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
They had Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier for a few years after Stewart graduated. They were both first team AAs and top 5 WNBA picks. But since then, the post has been a major weakness for them.
I agree with your comments about Williams and Collier. However, they were not in Stewart's class.

Well I think you are selling UConn short.... the transitioning down part of your statement.... if you see who UConn has coming in next year and the year after.... it is apparent that UConn is going nowhere but the place they were.... we hate them yes but they are very good

Being very good does not automatically allow you to hoist a trophy at the end of the year. See UConn these last 4 years all very good teams.

They also had Azura. Geno gave that game to Notre Dame cuz he didn’t play Azura enough over Gabby. Azura despite her injuries in the Wnba has shown she is lead above Gabby. Again, the game has grown beyond him. His style has been outgrown by the ability of individual players. Arike has knocked him out twice and now Aari. If you can’t win with 2 overall number ones than there is no excuse.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Considering the fact that in recent years CT typically has a very strong out-of-conference schedule and usually wins those games, it doesn’t seem to me that they’re being over rated. I honestly don’t think voters even consider their performance versus conference opponents since it has been a foregone conclusion that CT will easily dominate their conference every year for the last 25-plus years. But what those who rate teams DO notice is that CT usually ends up winning those big Monday night showcase games, regardless of their weaker conference. : /

That is a fair point and Uconn is obviously a very good team but I still wonder if they had the grind of playing in a stronger conference, like the SEC or Pac10 or Big 10, is more chinks in the armor would not be exposed when most games are going to be battles, rather than a select few.

Arkansas was far from the best team in the SEC but...

That is a fair point and Uconn is obviously a very good team but I still wonder if they had the grind of playing in a stronger conference, like the SEC or Pac10 or Big 10, is more chinks in the armor would not be exposed when most games are going to be battles, rather than a select few.

Arkansas was far from the best team in the SEC but...

Wonder if they would still have that swagger if they went into those Big Monday games with 4 or 5 losses.

VN Store

Back