Are we really that far behind Florida?

Coaching gap won't be there this year. Our defense will be much improved, I expect less than 2 turnovers and we will create at least 1 turnover. This game should be within a TD either way.

Reactions: De La Cloobs
The big difference between us and Florida last year was on the lines.

Our O-line was the worst in the SEC. Some of the advanced stats I've seen have Florida with the 3rd best O-line in the SEC. It's debatable obviously, but the bigger point is that they had one of the better OLs and we had one of the worst in the nation.

At the skill positions, I think we're better than Florida right now, but their advantage on OL and DL was pretty big last year. If we're going to win this year, we're going to have to narrow that gap on the lines significantly. Unfortunately, I think it may take till 2020 for that to happen, but hoping for the best in 2019.

If Pruitt manages a win this year in Gainesville it would do a lot for Tennessee as a program, and very likely set Florida up to have a disappointing season.

A win against Florida would be huge for us; it's the kind of win that puts others on notice. Some games that teams win over tougher opponents get written off as lucky or a fluke. Beating a team like Florida would be seen as earned and huge step in the right direction.

It's on the staff that the players weren't focused or prepared. It's on the staff that the offensive gameplan was garbage. Games like that is what happens when you have an inexperienced staff face a well seasoned SEC staff. We've got a lot more seasoning this year so hopefully history don't repeat itself.

I have used this old saying before, "you can drive a horse to water, but you can't make him drink", all the prep in the world won't work if the effort reacts like "water off a duck's back". You think this staff can't motivate with their background? As to "game plan".... It helps if your team has the ability to play the game. With the guys at this staff'e disposal, it's a wonder they could even put together a "plan" as the season started. However as they had time to prepare their player's mentally and physically, things looked better until they ran out of gas as will happen when you are shorthanded to begin with.

Reactions: VolinMC
If Pruitt manages a win this year in Gainesville it would do a lot for Tennessee as a program, and very likely set Florida up to have a disappointing season.

Completely agree. Although I could also see a Kentucky 2018 type scenario. When UF lost to Kentucky early, nobody envisioned 10 wins and 7th in the country. Conceivably, same could happen this year but replace UK with UT.

Shame makes a big return! Big Orange wins the Jorts bowl and stop the unmanly Gators from cutting their pants forever! Vols 31 Gators 24 in the swamp. Mark it down. First of many marquee wins for Vols under Pruitt.

1562861099864.jpeg

Eh...don’t disagree with anything you said but it’s TEAMS that win or lose not position matchups. Mullen is just at home at UF and his advantage is he doesn’t have to recreate the wheel there like Pruitt has to with us.

Mullen inherited a familiar culture with players who are a better fit with what he wants to do. He can overachieve on O while piecing together a D.

Pruitt inherited a soft losing culture with a lot of diverse athletes. He has to piece together an aggressive physical D AND a winning team mindset while letting Chaney piece together a productive O. Pruitt and Chaney have to recruit and develop the right players for their schemes going forward and quickly develop the new players they’ve brought in. So there are a lot more pieces to put together on our side.

That’s what 2019 is for. We’ll be basically where UF is now in 2020 imo. From that point on the teams should be pretty even going forward if things continue as they’re going.

Can we beat UF in 2019? Absolutely. Will the game be highly competitive? I’d be willing to bet on it. Don’t think we’ll get curb stomped. Are we going to win? Possible but unlikely in 2019.

Have to agree. we have had better teams many times in the past and lost. Even Peyton lost to them. Until this team learns how to win, and I know CJP will teach them, we won't beat FL this year. No one hates them more than I do, no one! And getting blown out by vandy, twice, just proves the world is off center. I learned that in my geology classes.

Reactions: 08Vol and Woke
It honestly makes me wonder what our OL would have looked like if the talent had not been so mismanaged and the players had been given a proper Strength and conditioning program the years prior. Hopefully the new talent being brought in will help the O-line play. I also think the addition of Chaney will help.

I firmly believe that Florida game looks different had we played them later in the season. They got beat by UK and we trounced them. Gotta love college ball
How does it look different if we played them late in the season? We got boat raced by Missouri and Vandy to end the season and even Pruitt said later that we made the same mistakes defensively against KY but Missouri and Vandy had QBs good enough to take advantage of our mistakes.

UF beats us just as bad if not worse if we play them late in the season.

We still lose this year but not as bad imo.

Reactions: AM64 and 08Vol
Wanna know what the big difference between UT and UF right now is? A proven head coach (that many delusional people didn't want hired here.). It's as simple as that right now. Maybe Pruitt will have a higher ceiling in the long run, but right now Mullen is just way ahead of Pruitt.
Mullen is a weird dude, but there is ZERO doubt about his ability to coach. To have that UF team back in the Top 7 in year one was very impressive. Now I also think Pruitt can be a special coach, but his rebuild is much more difficult and his first year staff was a problem. This years staff is a vast improvement and I think will pay dividends in the coming years.

I thought Bugs already handled this...

tenor.gif

I think UF will win the game this year, and I think Florida will have a very good year, at least 10 wins again.

However, Florida will be down next year and Tennessee will have a good shot in that game. Florida will lose a ton after this season. Going in to next year, UF will be replacing their top RB, top 3-4 WR’s, MLB, top two CB’s, top two DL, and probably their starting QB. Ironically, the only area on Florida’s team that won’t be drastically affected next year is the o-Line, which is the only part of this year’s team that is young.

So Tennessee will have a good opportunity to get a win next year in Knoxville.

Back in April you saw the score being similar to last year, still feel that way?

Yes Im reminding you. I said you were... Well, wrong. Lol. I said Im expecting you to win but it won't be close to last year. Whatever happens, I'll be here to remind you.

The points from the turnovers and the rest of the turn overs that lead to the points is why get got destroyed. Regardless we still would have lost the game just not by much. We were competitive against Georgia last year as well until our defense lost their breath from having to keep us in the game. This SHOULD be a totally different team this year and aside from Bama we should be highly competitive in all games.

Back in April you saw the score being similar to last year, still feel that way?

Yes Im reminding you. I said you were... Well, wrong. Lol. I said Im expecting you to win but it won't be close to last year. Whatever happens, I'll be here to remind you.

I think Florida will win comfortably. Maybe not by 4 TD’s, but the game won’t be close and won’t be in doubt. I’ll pick a score as it draws closer.

Reactions: 08Vol
I think Florida will win comfortably. Maybe not by 4 TD’s, but the game won’t be close and won’t be in doubt. I’ll pick a score as it draws closer.

Let me give you my email and phone number so I don't miss it.

Tennessee can defeat Florida in Gainesville in 2019. This year's Volunteers can go to Florida and defeat this year's Gators. Will they do so?

Watch the game and find out.

Florida will win again easily. Our DL is a weakness. JG can’t read blitzes and holds the ball too long. We’ll kick a few field goals.

Reactions: VOLnMiami and 08Vol
The big difference between us and Florida last year was on the lines.

Our O-line was the worst in the SEC. Some of the advanced stats I've seen have Florida with the 3rd best O-line in the SEC. It's debatable obviously, but the bigger point is that they had one of the better OLs and we had one of the worst in the nation.

At the skill positions, I think we're better than Florida right now, but their advantage on OL and DL was pretty big last year. If we're going to win this year, we're going to have to narrow that gap on the lines significantly. Unfortunately, I think it may take till 2020 for that to happen, but hoping for the best in 2019.

Respectfully, I don’t think you’re better at the skill positions either. Perine is the best RB on either roster, I do like UT’s Callaway at WR, Jennings can be good too, but at best those two are a wash with Van Jefferson, Kadarius Toney, Tyrie Cleveland, Trevon Grimes, Swain, Hammond. I like Franks better than JG but I realize UT fans will debate that. To me, Franks under Mullen for a second year will be strong, and Franks had a much better year last year.

You aren’t also going to try and coax me into a thousand dollar bet are you?

No. You come up with whatever you want and if I disagree, I'll make an "I was right and you were wrong" bet.

We looked like monkeys forking footballs, had 6 turnovers and lost by 26...at home last year. Nothing, including the score will be similar. If it is, saying I was wrong and you were right will be the least of all my problems.

Reactions: AM64
What I really want to know is where Florida outmatches us. It’s been said, not just on this board but by many, that the talent level at Tennessee is LOW right now. If that isn’t the case, where does UF have us beat?

They have a better OL, DL, LBs, WRs and head coach. We have a slight advantage at QB, RB and DB.

What I really want to know is where Florida outmatches us... where does UF have us beat?

Pretty much everywhere. Lamical Perine is the best RB on either team, the first 2-3 WR’s on both teams are very good, but Florida’s talented depth at WR is among the best in the country. You can debate the QB’s but I’d take Franks in year two under Mullen over JG, especially after Franks’ improvement last year. Both o-lines have a lot to prove, and a lot of unknowns, so call that spot even.

Florida’s D-Line is deep, experienced and good. Jabari Zuniga is a beast, Jon Greenard is too, so is Adam Shuler. Florida has a Senior starter at MLB in David Reese, and two or three future first rounders in the secondary.

VN Store

Back