Are SEC Media Days televised?

Have you read this, 6? I thought the Knoxville News -Sentinel had exhausted their supply of stupid reporters. I was wrong.....

Fulmer could ultimately regret no-show
By GEOFF CALKINS
July 28, 2004

Anyone who has watched Tennessee coach Phil Fulmer's offense could have predicted this. What does the guy like to do when he gets in a tough spot?

Run!

And if that strikes you as a tad unfair this morning, think about the plight of Kevin Burnett and Michael Munoz.

Those are the players Fulmer is sending to SEC Media Days in his stead.

"Go get 'em guys!

I'm right behind you!"

Waaaaay behind you, as it turns out.

In Knoxville.

Ain't no 'Bama lawyers on Rocky Top.

"This day is for the players," Fulmer said in a prepared statement. "They should be center stage."

Uh-huh.

And the way to accomplish that is to skip media days and ensure that the players get no attention at all? Because you're afraid of getting a subpoena from lawyer Tommy Gallion that obligates you to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Who came up with that plan, anyway? Much-maligned offensive coordinator Randy Sanders?

You couldn't take three steps Tuesday without hearing the name Phil Fulmer. The radio shows were all Fulmer. The TV news was all Fulmer.

Bobby Johnson has the chance to have a decent team at Vanderbilt this year. So, Bobby, does it feel odd to be the only coach coming down from the great state of Tennessee?

"A little bit," Johnson said. "The border was open between Tennessee and Alabama today. Nobody was stopping us."

A few minutes later a cell phone rang.

"That's Phillip," Johnson said.

He laughed. Everybody laughed. They weren't laughing with Fulmer, either.

Headline in the Birmingham paper: "What is Phillip Fulmer so afraid of?"

And don't say Alabama fans bearing shotguns.

Fulmer's statement didn't even mention safety concerns. SEC commissioner Mike Slive said the event didn't pose "any security issues."

Which means Fulmer ducked it because he didn't want to be served with Gallion's subpoena.

You can understand the man's frustration. He has been unfairly pilloried for helping the NCAA investigate Alabama. If more coaches were willing to tell what they know the SEC might not be so dirty.

But why back down now? Why give Alabama fans something real to complain about?

"We have court systems," Slive said. "That's the American way. We've had the system for 200 years, and we'll have it for another 200."

Bill Curry is a former coach at Alabama. He knows how nutty people in this state can get. But Curry was disappointed Fulmer didn't show, and wondered if he'd live to regret it.

"I think it could be a problem down the road," Curry said. "If you preach to your players all the time that you've got to show up when the going gets tough, at some point some enterprising player is going to say, 'Excuse me, Coach, what about you?'"

What's the answer to that one?

There is no good answer.

I lost my nerve? I hate lawyers? I particularly hate that blasted Gallion?

Gallion sent a letter to Slive saying he wouldn't serve Fulmer, by the way. He said he didn't want to ruin media days.

But Fulmer wouldn't change his mind. He wouldn't set foot in Birmingham.

So there he sits, in far off Knoxville.

Could that be why he looks so small?

(Contact Geoff Calkins of The Knoxville News Sentinel in Tennessee at http://www.knoxnews.com

I guess I'm just naive, 6, but it bewilders me that TENNESSEE papers, even KNOXVILLE papers would lash out at CPF like they have done. I can see Nashville
(Vandy) or Memphis (Tiger High) papers more than I can Knoxville papers. I guess it's true that the media goes with the flow. When are they going to publish a list of the other coaches who stepped forward and told on Alabama? If I were CPF, I would keep a list of every reporter who dissed me in any way and when it came time for press conferences, media days, etc, THOSE reporters would would respectfully be shown my big orange :shakeit:

VN Store

Back