are fans pulling against UT so Holly is fired?

As much disdain as I have for Holly Warlick's inability to coach competently, I never want the LV's to lose. I mean, its not like they lose b/c they hear what I'm thinking anyways, they do that all on their own. The writing is on the wall, the better question is will the AD see it. Yeah we may win a few squeakers, but this team is never going to reach full potential under Holly's watch. Even if they do slide into the tournament, realistically, how many games would they be able to win? Maybe 1, maybe 0.

Lady basketball coaches are seldom fired for their teams performance (compared to men’s basketball and football). Fulmer feels like he should have been given some time to turn the football program around when he was fired. Even if the Lady Vols fail to make the NCAA tournament, I am sure he will wait and see what this so call young team does when they are seniors before he fires Holl because he respects her long service to UT.. I fully expect Holly to be the coach for 2 more years minimum.
The problem with this scenario is how many of these freshmen and sophmores will make it to the senior year at Tennessee.

Everyone says the university needs to respect HW, with which I agree to a point. When does HW need to respect the university back and move on voluntarily? I think that time is now.

I agree, and to add to this, I think the University did respect her when they gave her a raise and extension for accomplishing really nothing, except a good recruiting class, which we will not see proper development.

Lady basketball coaches are seldom fired for their teams performance (compared to men’s basketball and football).

Well, there have been exactly 2 coaches in the history of the program so you are correct, they are seldom fired. The first coach was someone named Pat Summitt. She was the Naismath coach of the century and won 8 NC titles. That might have had something to do with the women's program having less coaching turnover than men's football and basketball.

Reactions: orangealways
I will never, ever hope that the Lady Vols lose and I find that article in very poor taste actually. I am not a Holly fan but I would never wish for a negative experience for the players to enforce a coaching change. I hope that Holly has the sense to retire gracefully. She has to understand that she just doesn't have it. Maybe its because players have changed, maybe the game has moved beyond Pat Summit Style basketball, but it just isn't working.

I do think there is an argument that even Pat, had she been healthy and still coaching, would have started to have a difficult time maintaining her dominance with traditional Lady Vol basketball style of play. In this day and age you have to have some 3 point shooters or you can't be superiorly competitive. 3 is still worth more than 2 and other programs, like Oregon, UCONN, Notre Dame, Louisville and Stanford, have embraced it. Pat would have at least been able to keep her teams defensively motivated, but I believe offense would have become an issue for her as well.

Reactions: bobkitten
Pointless to root against the LVs making the NCAAT. Fulmer isn't going to fire Holly based on that.

Everyone says the university needs to respect HW, with which I agree to a point. When does HW need to respect the university back and move on voluntarily? I think that time is now.

people that slobber over warlick are ridiculous. for seven years she has trashed Pat's program and
deserves NOTHING except to be fired.

how many "last straws" does fulmer need ? if he tries to keep her around, then they BOTH need to
be dragged out the door.

Reactions: flint
Well she just made it official it's not happening. Not that it was going to, but LVs will make the NCAAT now.

I could not cheer against the LVs, but I am copacetic with expecting that the very best decision for the long-term success of the LVs be made. And I think skin of the teeth doesn't cut it-- not in the best interest of the team and the future of the LVs.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I wouldn't say I pull against them but I sure do worry that any success is going to be an excuse to diddle fiddle a bit more while Rome burns.

It's always hard taking short term pain to get long term gain but sometimes that's what is needed for the greater good. I sure won't mind, for the first time ever, one bit when this season is over. We need so badly to move on before we keep moving down.

I have no problem hoping the LVs lose.....If you want a change at head coach, the losses have to continue...It will be more of the same, again, and again, and again...And you know it too.

I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way, but won't say it. That's understandable.

No. Holly needs to be fired the morning after their season ends, but I am not rooting against them. I am rooting for an AD with the sense and stones to fairly evaluate the state and direction of the program, therefore dismissing Holly whether they win in the postseason or not.

Reactions: flint
Fulmer will think about next year next year. Spring football starts today. Doubt he's angsting too much about Holly right now.

Then he should be the football director and not the athletic director. But I'd say you're right and he's not too worried about Holly, he'll keep her and let continue to dig the hole.

Then he should be the football director and not the athletic director. But I'd say you're right and he's not too worried about Holly, he'll keep her and let continue to dig the hole.
Tennessee needs to go to having a women's sports AD and a men's sports AD

Well, there have been exactly 2 coaches in the history of the program so you are correct, they are seldom fired. The first coach was someone named Pat Summitt. She was the Naismath coach of the century and won 8 NC titles. That might have had something to do with the women's program having less coaching turnover than men's football and basketball.

Absolutely correct on the history of this program, but I think the original post was referring to women's bball in general, not UT. You simply don't see a lot of involuntary coaching turnover in women's bball.

VN Store

Back