Are changes coming for Tennessee’s coaching staff?

Hope that they pay Mark whatever it takes to get him here. We are going to have to have $1 million dollar coordinators on both sides of the ball,imo, to reach the next level. Butch did what LSU and Auburn couldn't do, getting Shoop. If he gets Mark that would be huge!

LSU didn't want Shoop, they wanted and got Dave Aranda....and it was clearly a much better hire.

You do realize that actually part of their offensive system. They want to make short quick slants, swing passes, quick screens, shovel passes, etc. Get the ball in skill players hands and let them make a player miss and break it for a long play. That is how Butch run's his offense.

We don't run a pro style offense so don't expect long down field passes. We don't have the OL for that anyway. Did you not see the stat about 25 sacks? You want long passes when our QB is running for his life for most of the game?

Everything I have said is in agreement with you... People on here are acting like we had the Run N Gun going and our vertical passing game was top 5 in the country when it wasn't consistent at all solely due to the quality of opponent.

Offense was completely predictable at times and only in desperation did CMD open up the playbook. Dobbs didn't improve as a passer as much as he could have with a dedicated QB coach. I'd like to see Helfrich, Canada, or a solid OC come in here, move Debord to OL and let Shoop bring in some of his coaches on the defense.

Just Christmas wishes

5 teams that did not meet expectations this season

3. Tennessee

Another SEC East team with a lot of promise coming into this year, the Volunteers were projected to be among the most improved teams in the nation. They were No. 51 at the end of last year with a 18.50 rating but were No. 16 in the preseason model’s rankings with a 26.51 rating. But Tennessee instead slipped to No. 75 with a 11.47 rating. The Volunteers’ rating dropped 15.04 points from the beginning of the year to the end of the regular season, causing them to plummet 59 spots in the model’s rankings — the fourth-biggest such decline in the country.

Instead of being one of the biggest improvements, Tennessee experiences one of the biggest declines throughout the whole country from 2015. Flame away.

Go Vols!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Is there any chance Butch calls the plays next year?

If he is going to crash and burn with his offense, might as well grab the steering wheel.

You want the guy who struggles with the most basic of gameday/sideline decisions to take on the task of calling plays as well? Talk about a disaster waiting to happen.....

LSU offered Shoop after Chavis bailed. So they did want him.

That was 2015, when Shoop withdrew his name.....he wasn't offered by LSU.....he chose to stay at Penn State.

Perhaps they would've made a run at him again this year if Aranda hadn't been open to coming down. Either way, Aranda went to LSU before Shoop came to Tennessee, which suggests they wanted him and not Bob....and LSU clearly got the better deal based on what we all witnessed this season.

LSU and Auburn wanted Shoop. He said no to both but not to Butch.

LSU spoke to Shoop in 2015, but Shoop chose to stay at PSU and LSU never got around to an offer. They didn't seem to be as serious in 2016 and hired Aranda a week and a half before Shoop agreed to come to Knoxville.

That was 2015, when Shoop withdrew his name.....he wasn't offered by LSU.....he chose to stay at Penn State.

Perhaps they would've made a run at him again this year if Aranda hadn't been open to coming down. Either way, Aranda went to LSU before Shoop came to Tennessee, which suggests they wanted him and not Bob....and LSU clearly got the better deal based on what we all witnessed this season.

They offered him KB...he turned them down. That simply doesn't equal " they didn't want him"...just doesn't.

Reactions: 2 people
LSU spoke to Shoop in 2015, but Shoop chose to stay at PSU and LSU never got around to an offer. They didn't seem to be as serious in 2016 and hired Aranda a week and a half before Shoop agreed to come to Knoxville.

Heard differently. The job was there for him to take. Did they prefer Steele over him?

So you're saying that LSU what? Didn't want him or didn't offer him or both?

They offered him KB...he turned them down. That simply doesn't equal " they didn't want him"...just doesn't.

No Butchna, they didn't offer him. This article, among others, says he "turned down" LSU after an initial interview, but wasn't actually offered the job....

https://www.google.com/amp/www-stage.nola.com/articles/14913257/penn_states_bob_shoop_it_lsu_j.amp

Again, and more importantly, that was in 2015. When Aranda was an option a year later, he was their guy, not Shoop.

So you're saying that LSU what? Didn't want him or didn't offer him or both?

Are you just trying not to understand it? It's pretty simple.

1. LSU interviewed Shoop in 2015, after his first year at PSU. After an initial interview, he declined to continue talking with LSU and returned to PSU. And in fact, LSU did not offer him the job. Instead, Shoop got a raise from PSU.

2. AFTER the 2015 season, Chavis took off and LSU hired Dave Aranda, not Bob Shoop, and they did it 1.5 weeks before Shoop came to Tennessee. Therefore, they wanted and got Aranda, not Shoop.

And ftr, at the time of and even before Shoop's hiring, I was absolutely thrilled. When LSU hired Aranda I recall being relieved and thinking "whatever, Shoop's the guy we want". So much for that thought.

No Butchna, they didn't offer him. This article, among others, says he "turned down" LSU after an initial interview, but wasn't actually offered the job....

Forgive me, but this really seems like semantics. If he turned them down in an interview, it stands to reason he was being sought. Just because he wasn't officially offered doesn't mean LSU didn't want him.

Again, and more importantly, that was in 2015. When Aranda was an option a year later, he was their guy, not Shoop.

And here I do think that Aranda was LSU's main target - but at the time, both hires were universally praised in the media and on message boards. I fail to see the distinction you're trying to draw here.

Did LSU's D play much better than UT's? No question. Was it Shoop's fault? That is THE question for 2017 imo.

https://www.google.com/amp/www-stage.nola.com/articles/14913257/penn_states_bob_shoop_it_lsu_j.amp

We're talking semantics KB. The job was his to take. No way in this world was Steele their first choice.

Reactions: 3 people

1. LSU interviewed Shoop in 2015, after his first year at PSU. After an initial interview, he declined to continue talking with LSU and returned to PSU. And in fact, LSU did not offer him the job. Instead, Shoop got a raise from PSU.

2. AFTER the 2015 season, Chavis took off and LSU hired Dave Aranda, not Bob Shoop, and they did it 1.5 weeks before Shoop came to Tennessee. Therefore, they wanted and got Aranda, not Shoop.

And ftr, at the time of and even before Shoop's hiring, I was absolutely thrilled. When LSU hired Aranda I recall being relieved and thinking "whatever, Shoop's the guy we want". So much for that thought.

Timeline is off. Did you mean Steele?

Do you understand that Kevin Steele came before Aranda?

Reactions: 2 people
Timeline is off. Did you mean Steele?

Apologies, yes, Steele for a year until they decided to get serious......and then they hired Aranda, which was considered the best coordinator hire in the country.

My point still stands however. LSU could've gone after either after Steele left for Auburn and put their attention on Aranda, not Shoop, when both coordinators were looking to move to new schools. They interviewed Shoop a year earlier, not during the same period they interviewed and hired Aranda.

I understood it is Jones play book and Debord selects plays from it with jones on the headset giving his yes/no. This has not worked. CBJ would be better served to bring in a new OC and throw away his playbook and let the new guy do the work.

I dont think he realizes that Aranda came after Steele

I do now, I had forgotten, apologies, but it doesn't change anything. After Steele left, when both Aranda and Shoop were looking to change schools, LSU targeted and hired Aranda. In other words, after Steele left, they didn't interview and get turned down by Shoop, only to move on to Aranda as option #2....no, when they could go after both, it was Aranda they wanted and got. And they made the right decision.

VN Store

Back