Are changes coming for Tennessee’s coaching staff?

Is there any chance Butch calls the plays next year?

If he is going to crash and burn with his offense, might as well grab the steering wheel.

Reactions: 1 person
We have to get a QB coach, period. GBO!!!!!

Yeah QB coach is high on our needs...

We had the SEC Offensive Player of the year at QB.
Lead SEC in QB rating.
Lead SEC in TD passing
3rd highest completion percentage in SEC

He did all of that while being sacked 25 times...I would think OL coach is higher on the list.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah QB coach is high on our needs...

We had the SEC Offensive Player of the year at QB.
Lead SEC in QB rating.
Lead SEC in TD passing
3rd highest completion percentage in SEC

He did all of that while being sacked 25 times...I would think OL coach is higher on the list.

You do realize our passing game was pretty weak this year right??? Look at Dobbs' passing yards and receivers' yards AFTER catch.... That is where the majority of Dobbs' yards came from. It's not like he was throwing bombs down the field this year. This means that the down the field passing game was weak.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 6.37.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 6.37.11 PM.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 15
You do realize our passing game was pretty weak this year right??? Look at Dobbs' passing yards and receivers' yards AFTER catch.... That is where the majority of Dobbs' yards came from. It's not like he was throwing bombs down the field this year. This means that the down the field passing game was weak.

You could use the EXACT SAME analytics to prove we don't need a QB coach at all.
Dobbs threw to the correct receiver in the correct coverage at the correct time while placing the ball in the correct spot allowing the receiver a higher probability of YAC! All this without a QB coach!

You could use the EXACT SAME analytics to prove we don't need a QB coach at all.
Dobbs threw to the correct receiver in the correct coverage at the correct time while placing the ball in the correct spot allowing the receiver a higher probability of YAC! All this without a QB coach!

QB coaches help with a lot. Looking off coverages. Reading defenses, audibles, mechanics, footwork, and perhaps the most important, checks, which is getting yourself out of bad play and getting your team into winning match ups.

Go pull numbers from a lot of the QB's in college and you will see similar patterns.

Or you could say the reason we don't have a QB coach is the reason why Dobbs gets big yardage out of swing passes to our backs instead of a vertical passing game.

I don't see any major changes happening until after the first or right in the middle of the first quarter of 2017. Either debord will retire and a new OC will come at hand or there will be a co OC with a class in coach or qb coach.. a new S & C coach would be awesome as well..

Who led the SEC in passing TDs over 20+ yards? The downfiled passing was not weak this year.

Strength and conditioning is the biggest need. We got pushed around on the line of scrimmage all season. Need to be way more physical.

To me this was the biggest surprise of the year. Especially on the defensive side. Injuries of course hurt. But I was surprised how we got handles at times.

Agreed, If you take away YAC you have to take away easy dropped passes and INTs the receivers had in their hands.

Who led the SEC in passing TDs over 20+ yards? The downfiled passing was not weak this year.

That number is skewed as there were a few long TD's we had that were off 3 yard swing passes... To say we had a top vertical passing game is very ignorant... But if we want to go along with your claim, the majority of those long TD passes were against bad teams... Besided JJ's two TD's (One vs UF and Hail Mary), I am hard pressed to find many others against that 4 game gauntlet.

We had no long balls in College Station, none vs Bama, had a TD vs UGA in hail mary and another one dropped by Hurd for Fumble. We had a wheel route to Hurd vs UF and the JJ catch vs UF... So out of the 4 toughest games, we had 1 long ball (hail mary) and 3-4 catches off 10-20 yard passes where the majority of yards came after the catch, not before.

If you look vs quality teams vs non quality teams, the vertical passing game was very weak... You are looking at the season at whole to make your claim, but against good/bad teams, we were bad in the passing vs top teams.

You do realize that actually part of their offensive system. They want to make short quick slants, swing passes, quick screens, shovel passes, etc. Get the ball in skill players hands and let them make a player miss and break it for a long play. That is how Butch run's his offense.

We don't run a pro style offense so don't expect long down field passes. We don't have the OL for that anyway. Did you not see the stat about 25 sacks? You want long passes when our QB is running for his life for most of the game?

I see many on here crying for a QB coach, I think many of you don't realize that we have a QB coach named Debord and he has coached a few good QBs in his time not to mention the 2016 offensive player of the year in Josh Dobbs. Just saying.

Mike DeBord
Hometown:Muncie, Ind.Position:Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach

Tom Brady - New England Patriots Quarterback, three-time Super Bowl MVP

"The University of Tennessee has hired a great offensive coordinator in Mike DeBord. Mike was my offensive coordinator in college and helped me develop as a quarterback. He has great knowledge in offensive football and quarterback development, and he will do an outstanding job at Tennessee."

I see many on here crying for a QB coach, I think many of you don't realize that we have a QB coach named Debord and he has coached a few good QBs in his time not to mention the 2016 offensive player of the year in Josh Dobbs. Just saying.

Mike DeBord

Tom Brady - New England Patriots Quarterback, three-time Super Bowl MVP

"The University of Tennessee has hired a great offensive coordinator in Mike DeBord. Mike was my offensive coordinator in college and helped me develop as a quarterback. He has great knowledge in offensive football and quarterback development, and he will do an outstanding job at Tennessee."
No.. Your wrong... The Qb coach that we have is the GA Sheridan..not debord.

No.. Your wrong... The Qb coach that we have is the GA Sheridan..not debord.

Sorry I didn't know you had a position on the football team. Not that I do, I was just going by the official University of TENNESSEE website were they listed Mike Debord as Offensive coordinator and QB coach and Nick Sheridan as a GA.

Nick Sheridan
Position:Offensive Graduate AssistantAlma Mater:Michigan '10

Mike DeBord

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Interesting that in the Brice chat JAV asked about the rumor of Billy Napier being a possibility to come to TN if Sarkisian is named OC. My daughter's boyfriend is from Chatsworth and is a family friend, will see what he knows if anything

Edit: friend of Napier's dad. #closetonapier

Interesting that in the Brice chat JAV asked about the rumor of Billy Napier being a possibility to come to TN if Sarkisian is named OC. My daughter's boyfriend is from Chatsworth and is a family friend, will see what he knows if anything

Edit: friend of Napier's dad. #closetonapier

Isn't Napier the one rumored to have had an affair with Ms. Urban?

This is just speculation, but do you remember the rumblings on here about Butch asking for a raise/extension. If true, I wonder if it was more a long the lines of raising the salary pool for assistants rather than himself so we could go after some bigger, proven names.

If I was CBJ, I'd be offering a major chunk of my next year's salary to get help with the defense.

VN Store

Back