Are changes coming for Tennessee’s coaching staff?

Hey Larry,

Is it possible that we make any coaching changes that will lose us some good recruits?

Or that we lose coaches that are good recruiters but don't coach the kids up to program standards?

Thanks for your reply in advance my friend.

VFL...GBO!!!

when you change coaches it is always a possibility to lose recruits, good and bad. That is always a risk as coaches change out but if you need to change you need to change. Can't let losing recruits impact that decision.

Gillespie and Scott are the only coaches that we miss as recruiters and coaches. they are really good at both and there is risk both could be gone.. they are fielding calls from other programs. Again there are other considerations you have to be concerned about, fir in program, fit with philosophy, fit with scheme, etc.

Reactions: 1 person
We need to be focused on getting rid of our weak coaches, especially Martinez and try to hold on to our good ones. And adding a freakin QB coach, not having a QB coach is the single most DUMB thing that has been done at UT. Especially when the head coach is not a QB coach, and I am behind Butch 100% but he has to see that we need a full time QB coach with a track record of coaching up QB's. GBO!!!! VFL!!!!

when you change coaches it is always a possibility to lose recruits, good and bad. That is always a risk as coaches change out but if you need to change you need to change. Can't let losing recruits impact that decision.

Gillespie and Scott are the only coaches that we miss as recruiters and coaches. they are really good at both and there is risk both could be gone.. they are fielding calls from other programs. Again there are other considerations you have to be concerned about, fir in program, fit with philosophy, fit with scheme, etc.

This is why regardless of how folks feel about the 8-4 record that increases in salary must still be considered. There were positives and good things within the season - if you don't reward those - you lose those associated with the positives and good things.

Besides the injuries...hard to have a good defense... when they are tired of being on the field all the time... when the offense keeps turning the ball over and will not allow the defense to rest...but I will say this.....not all of the problems are the fault of the turnovers....but also on bad technique and conditioning.....which of course everyone know's

We were simply ravaged by injury on defense this year. We actually had maybe one DT with some previous playing time,vickers. Considering that our defense relies on getting an initial push from it's tackles,as the season wore on and injuries mounted it only got worse cause the LB's 1st key is to fill any gaps not being filled by lineman. Then the LB's got injured too. UT definitely needs a top notch S&C coach. We need to recruit at least 3 good DT's, 1 more OL, and good CB.Linemen need to get stronger and start doing the pushing instead of getting pushed around on both sides of the ball. If our HC knows that,then all our coaches should know it. :twocents:

Mahoney and Martinez both need to go regardless of the recruiting impact. The fact that they have proven they can't coach worth a lick will hurt recruiting more than bringing in proven coaches that can coach up talent.

We were simply ravaged by injury on defense this year. We actually had maybe one DT with some previous playing time,vickers. Considering that our defense relies on getting an initial push from it's tackles,as the season wore on and injuries mounted it only got worse cause the LB's 1st key is to fill any gaps not being filled by lineman. Then the LB's got injured too. UT definitely needs a top notch S&C coach. We need to recruit at least 3 good DT's, 1 more OL, and good CB.Linemen need to get stronger and start doing the pushing instead of getting pushed around on both sides of the ball. If our HC knows that,then all our coaches should know it. :twocents:

Hold on now....you're starting to put truth out there and some folks cant handle that....INJURIES??..What's that got to do with players on the field....OH YEAH...they ain't on the field so it has EVERYTHING to do with players on the field....or not on the field...Its hard to paint up, dress up, an line up DE's in the DT spot and expect them to play like DT's...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a...well you know...

This is just speculation, but do you remember the rumblings on here about Butch asking for a raise/extension. If true, I wonder if it was more a long the lines of raising the salary pool for assistants rather than himself so we could go after some bigger, proven names.

Reactions: 2 people
This is just speculation, but do you remember the rumblings on here about Butch asking for a raise/extension. If true, I wonder if it was more a long the lines of raising the salary pool for assistants rather than himself so we could go after some bigger, proven names.

I'm sure his agent reached out and asked the question. My guess is they got the wait until the new management arrives.

Mahoney and Martinez both need to go regardless of the recruiting impact. The fact that they have proven they can't coach worth a lick will hurt recruiting more than bringing in proven coaches that can coach up talent.

Totally agree with this. As far as every other coach, I would say that Strip and Thig are safe. I really hope Scott and Gillespie stay. Debord? I am iffy with him. The offense hasnt been as bad as I thought under him but maybe somebody a little younger would be better. I think Debord would make a good OL coach. Azzani has earned another year.

Hope that they pay Mark whatever it takes to get him here. We are going to have to have $1 million dollar coordinators on both sides of the ball,imo, to reach the next level. Butch did what LSU and Auburn couldn't do, getting Shoop. If he gets Mark that would be huge!

Hope that they pay Mark whatever it takes to get him here. We are going to have to have $1 million dollar coordinators on both sides of the ball,imo, to reach the next level. Butch did what LSU and Auburn couldn't do, getting Shoop. If he gets Mark that would be huge!

LSU didn't need Shoop, they got Aranda. But I agree.

LSU didn't need Shoop, they got Aranda. But I agree.

"When you have success - I was flattered when someone reached out to me - but ultimately when it came to their (LSU's) decision-making time, Penn State was the best opportunity for me and my family.

They wanted him in 2015, start of the year

Last edited:

Should we gauge the culture and stability of the program on their decisions? Especially if it's just a lateral move?

"When you have success - I was flattered when someone reached out to me - but ultimately when it came to their (LSU's) decision-making time, Penn State was the best opportunity for me and my family.

They wanted him in 2015

Well played sir, I did not know that. I thought you were referring to this past offseason. You had that quote ready just to humiliate me, right? haha

QuickSmurf - 1

Orange&White - 0

It's not like LSU got the bad end of that deal.

I know, he came in and their defense did not miss a beat. It even improved. I know he did not have to deal with the injuries like we did and I have no idea if he was able to bring in his guys, but he took their defense from 10th in 2015 to 5th in 2016 (According to ESPN). Meanwhile on Rocky Top...45th in 2015 to 107th in 2016.

Are changes coming for Tennessee's coaching staff?

Saw this and figured that everyone would like to read it

Just watching the Giants and the Cowboys. Common thread: Giants, Broncos, Colts, Rebels, Vols. Cutcliff. 4th and 6. Throw a sideline to only 1 receiver regardless. If he is 3 yards short; so be it. Love some Mannings but it is clear to me now. Cutcliff should would be a decent defensive coordinator!!

Yep.... I am tired of getting burnt on the deep pass....or just in general.....I blame this on coaching and not our boys who have not been taught correct technique

I'm tired of getting burnt on Dave Hooker articles that seem to be summaries of VN threads and offer no conclusions or original insights. I blame this on myself for still reading the damn things at this point.

I'm tired of getting burnt on Dave Hooker articles that seem to be summaries of VN threads and offer no conclusions or original insights. I blame this on myself for still reading the damn things at this point.

All I was doing was passing along some information. .....

Should we gauge the culture and stability of the program on their decisions? Especially if it's just a lateral move?

culture wouldn't be factor. stability probably would be part of the factors. Promotion most likely biggest factor. More money and location likely involved.

culture wouldn't be factor. stability probably would be part of the factors. Promotion most likely biggest factor. More money and location likely involved.

yeah, while the initial punch is felt if those two guys were to leave, in the end, it's not terrible for the program to have coaches on the staff that are being sought out. that should be a selling point to other good coaches/recruiters.

it's no different in my opinion than a player getting drafted as a junior...hate losing the player for the production, but in the end, that loss is not a bad thing for the program going forward.

it's actually something else to add to the sales pitch.

VN Store

Back