'21 AR TE Erin Outley (Arkansas commit)

Lol what's up with some recruits using old Tennessee pics with past coaches? Do they just type Tennessee football and insert the first google pic they find? I've seen few recruits lately using Butch Jones ....

The Class of 2021 tight end from Parkview Arts Science Magnet High School in Little Rock, Ark., said he picked up an offer from Tennessee on Friday during a conversation with tight ends coach Joe Osovet, and he’s now hoping to visit the Vols as early as this spring. The 6-foot-4, 246-pound Outley said it was a “special” offer for him.

“I actually heard from Tennessee before, and the Tennessee coach had followed me,” said Outley, who’s now being pursued by 13 schools. “I followed him back and I called him, and he wanted to offer me. “I mean, it was special because it’s a big-time school. And I’ve been watching SEC football since I was a little kid, so it’s a dream just to be able to get offers from the SEC.”

Outley said Tennessee’s coaches have told him “they like my physicality and how I can be a big mismatch for the defense.” He said he has “never been to Knoxville before,” but he’s hoping to change that soon. “I will try to come and visit the campus and stadium,” Outley said. “Maybe this spring. … I’m most definitely trying to make a visit to Tennessee and Florida State.”

While Outley isn’t all that familiar with the Vols at this point, he said he’s familiar with at least a couple of NFL stars Tennessee has produced. “I know great players, like Alvin Kamara, and one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, Peyton Manning, came to Tennessee,” Outley said, “so I know a little bit about Tennessee.”

He described himself as a versatile tight end who’s equally capable of contributing as a reliable target in the passing game and a blocker. “I’m really both — big blocker and a big receiver — because I have great hands,” Outley said. “I can run a route. I can make a mismatch in just one-on-one. I can break down in zone through the middle of a Cover 2, Cover 3, man-to-man, Cover 1. I’m just a dangerous person for the defense.”

Outley said he’s still getting to know Osovet, who recently was promoted to tight ends coach after serving as Tennessee’s director of programming for football last year. “We had a conversation just to catch up on things, introduce ourselves, learn about each other and build a relationship,” Outley said. To this point, he said, Arkansas and Memphis are “the only schools I’ve actually visited and saw the facilities.”

While the home-state Razorbacks offer an appealing option that’s close to home, he said he’s focused on finding “what’s best for me” rather than simply choosing a school based on geography.

“I mean, I’m not really worried about just staying close to home,” Outley said. “It’s just, academically, where it can make me successful outside the field and also have that family built into the program, and during football we’d be together and have a strong program.”

In addition to having offers from Arkansas, Missouri, Florida State, Kansas, Memphis and Arkansas State, he said he’s drawing interest from South Carolina and Texas A&M. With more offers likely on the way, he said he’s not rushing to pick a school. “Probably next year on signing day,” Outley said. “Maybe February, after football season.”

VN Store

Back