'22 AR OT Andrew Chamblee (Arkansas commit)

"Tennessee (has) always been a school I've been looking at, and I’m still kind of new to the coaching staff, but they seem great," said Chamblee, who's ranked by 247Sports as the No. 234 overall prospect and No. 23 offensive tackle in the 2022 class and the No. 2 junior from the state of Arkansas.

"It’s just a nice atmosphere there, and it’s in the SEC."

Chamblee said he has been in contact with the Vols' new coaches, led by offensive line coach Glen Elarbee, adding that he has "talked a little to them." Chamblee said he's planning to "have a virtual visit with them soon."

To this point, he hasn't had any detailed discussions with Heupel's staff about the new offense Tennessee is installing and exactly how Chamblee might fit into the Vols' future plans on the offensive line. But he said he's looking forward to finding out more about what Heupel has in mind for Tennessee's program.
-Callahan

It’s incredibly strange. Highly pursued Arkansas kids think, “Hey, I know Arkansas doesn’t have near the historic pedigree or recent success as those other colleges that are pursuing me, but I’m going to stay home and represent my state.” Highly pursued Tennessee kids think, “Hey, I know Tennessee has a historic pedigree that surpasses nearly all schools that are pursuing me and even in this recent slump has still had some good teams and produced some NFL stars, but [insert excuse like didn’t offer me first or can’t offer what program X can right now] and my initial thought is just don’t go to UT.”

I do think part of the problem is Butch apparently burned bridges in-state and Pruitt did very little to rebuild them. But what is Arkansas doing that Tennessee is not? Part of the issue could be that Tennessee has so many transplants now that there are a lot of kids who grow up as fans of other schools and our state is so wide that many cities/towns in Tennessee are closer to other SEC schools than to Knoxville, but Tennessee must not be doing it right.

Reactions: PA Vol
I feel like kids from Arkansas always stay in state.

They do decent in-state. Majority of those kids are 3* tho if you care about that. So most of the time they aren’t battling the big programs to keep those kids in state.

‘22 class they’re doing well with some kids who are highly pursued tho.

‘21 - one 4* in state - A&M
‘20 - two 4* in state - A&M, UNC
‘19 - four 4* - (2) ARK, OK, Ole Miss
‘18 - two 4* - ARK, Baylor

It’s incredibly strange. Highly pursued Arkansas kids think, “Hey, I know Arkansas doesn’t have near the historic pedigree or recent success as those other colleges that are pursuing me, but I’m going to stay home and represent my state.” Highly pursued Tennessee kids think, “Hey, I know Tennessee has a historic pedigree that surpasses nearly all schools that are pursuing me and even in this recent slump has still had some good teams and produced some NFL stars, but [insert excuse like didn’t offer me first or can’t offer what program X can right now] and my initial thought is just don’t go to UT.”

I do think part of the problem is Butch apparently burned bridges in-state and Pruitt did very little to rebuild them. But what is Arkansas doing that Tennessee is not? Part of the issue could be that Tennessee has so many transplants now that there are a lot of kids who grow up as fans of other schools and our state is so wide that many cities/towns in Tennessee are closer to other SEC schools than to Knoxville, but Tennessee must not be doing it right.

TN has more highly rated players than ARK that are being pursued by the best programs in the country.

ARK “doing well in state” isn’t that hard when you’re an SEC school and there’s only 2-3 four stars in state every year. The majority of your class ends up being 3* - the guys that Clemson, UGA, OSU, Bama, LSU, etc likely aren’t pursuing.

Reactions: VolByLaw
TN has more highly rated players than ARK that are being pursued by the best programs in the country.

ARK “doing well in state” isn’t that hard when you’re an SEC school and there’s only 2-3 four stars in state every year. The majority of your class ends up being 3* - the guys that Clemson, UGA, OSU, Bama, LSU, etc likely aren’t pursuing.
Arkansas only has about 4-6 FBS level players in state each year.

Reactions: Vols4us
I feel like kids from Arkansas always stay in state.
Seems that way now. Fulmer used to pick and choose from Arkansas. Reggie Coleman, Greg Jones, Cedric Houston and Brett Smith are some highly rated ones he got from Arkansas.

Last edited:

Honestly if you're good enough it doesn't really matter where you go, Treylon Burks will likely be a first round pick next summer. But it all just depends on what the recruit's mindset is. Same with basketball, Moses Moody stayed home and has us ranked in the top 10 now and will be a very high draft pick but other guys like Malik Monk and Archie Goodwin wanted to go to UK for the prestige I suppose.

A&M has stolen quite a few of the top Arkansas recruits lately, I don't think as many recruits are staying home as they used to in general everywhere. Guys from Arkansas like Darren McFadden or Hunter Henry aren't quite the Hog locks they used to be. But overall we do a good job at getting most of them still. Pittman especially being an OL guy it would have been pretty surprising if Chamblee went elsewhere IMO.

Honestly if you're good enough it doesn't really matter where you go, Treylon Burks will likely be a first round pick next summer. But it all just depends on what the recruit's mindset is. Same with basketball, Moses Moody stayed home and has us ranked in the top 10 now and will be a very high draft pick but other guys like Malik Monk and Archie Goodwin wanted to go to UK for the prestige I suppose.

A&M has stolen quite a few of the top Arkansas recruits lately, I don't think as many recruits are staying home as they used to in general everywhere. Guys from Arkansas like Darren McFadden or Hunter Henry aren't quite the Hog locks they used to be. But overall we do a good job at getting most of them still. Pittman especially being an OL guy it would have been pretty surprising if Chamblee went elsewhere IMO.
Sorry to get a bit off topic, but whats your take on Pittman. Are fans happy with the hire? Scratching their heads? Do you see success for him or is he another will be here a few years then be gone? Im just curious on how Arky fans feel about him at this point.

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but whats your take on Pittman. Are fans happy with the hire? Scratching their heads? Do you see success for him or is he another will be here a few years then be gone? Im just curious on how Arky fans feel about him at this point.

Happy so far. We were only 8 points away from going 6-4 last year after some predicted us to go 0-10 so after the Morris era it's hard to be mad. He fired 3 position coaches after the season because he wasn't satisfied with our recruiting class (which was in the 20's, pretty typical for Arkansas actually) so he's clearly trying to swing for the fences.

It will be interesting to see how we do if/when Briles and Odom eventually leave but with Pittman's age I'm not sure he's here longer than about 5-6 years regardless. If we can just get back to winning 7-8 games a year instead of going 2-10 I think he would have done his job and it would be a little more desirable for the next coach than it was the last time. Anything more than that is gravy. Expectations definitely aren't as high right now as they were in the Nutt or Petrino times.

Happy so far. We were only 8 points away from going 6-4 last year after some predicted us to go 0-10 so after the Morris era it's hard to be mad. He fired 3 position coaches after the season because he wasn't satisfied with our recruiting class (which was in the 20's, pretty typical for Arkansas actually) so he's clearly trying to swing for the fences.

It will be interesting to see how we do if/when Briles and Odom eventually leave but with Pittman's age I'm not sure he's here longer than about 5-6 years regardless. If we can just get back to winning 7-8 games a year instead of going 2-10 I think he would have done his job and it would be a little more desirable for the next coach than it was the last time. Anything more than that is gravy. Expectations definitely aren't as high right now as they were in the Nutt or Petrino times.
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

VN Store

Back