App's OL

Their OL wasn't the problem, we handled business in 2nd half. It was our OL that was pathetic, I hope to see jack jones starting next game. Need chance hall back from injury as well.

Reactions: 5 people

Having seen them in action, I would believe it. The biggest factor is their discipline and that they seem to know their responsibilities intuitively. I feel like when we think of our team and its improving roster we forget that we have only one senior lineman and we run a more complicated mix of zone and man blocking.

I noticed that their game plan very much depended on our linemen over pursuing. If there's anything particular that I'd like to see fixed before the next game on the D-line, it's gap discipline.

Reactions: 2 people
Having seen them in action, I would believe it. The biggest factor is their discipline and that they seem to know their responsibilities intuitively. I feel like when we think of our team and its improving roster we forget that we have only one senior lineman and we run a more complicated mix of zone and man blocking.

I noticed that their game plan very much depended on our linemen over pursuing. If there's anything particular that I'd like to see fixed before the next game on the D-line, it's gap discipline.
Yup they used our aggressiveness and attacking style against us nearly all the first half. Shoop was able adjust and he earned his paycheck.

Last edited:
Wonder what rank va techs is? Cause that's the only opponent that matters until the clock expires next Saturday.

It also has USC's line ranked 4th and said, "I think USC will have a Pac-12 championship offensive line and will give Alabama all they can handle to start the season."

It also has USC's line ranked 4th and said, "I think USC will have a Pac-12 championship offensive line and will give Alabama all they can handle to start the season."

Alabama barely got pressure last night

3. Appalachian State

It might surprise you to see Appalachian State on the list, but it shouldn’t. Appalachian State had the highest run-blocking rating of an FBS team in 2015 and returns the highest-graded guard in Colby Gassett. The offensive line was the back bone of the Mountaineers’ 11-2 season a year ago. Similar to Notre Dame, they run an exclusive zone attack with their most successful being the outside zone. The line looks to lose ground and run to reach defenders in a way you don’t see in college. There is no reason to think their successful trend won’t continue, and Tennessee will have their hands full when the two teams open the season in September.

He completely nailed it. They used our strength against us the first half and it worked very well. I'm just happy that Shoop saw what was happening early and adjusted his play calling. Shoop is worth EVERY penny.

Being quite old, I have watched a lot TN teams coached by a lot of coaches. I do not recall any of those teams which have played well against OLs that cut block. Whether a good team (e.g., Nebraska) or a bad team (e.g., Army), they have always made us look bad. As Jessie Palmer said the other night, it is almost impossible to prepare for a game, because you don't want to hurt your own players. I personally think cut blocking should be illegal. Nebraska hurt a lot of players, and they did it on purpose. The blessing of th App. State game is that we didn't lose any DLs for the season.

Reactions: 3 people
Yep...they used our aggressiveness against us. This is the only game in the season that I think Jancek would have been better suited for.

Being quite old, I have watched a lot TN teams coached by a lot of coaches. I do not recall any of those teams which have played well against OLs that cut block. Whether a good team (e.g., Nebraska) or a bad team (e.g., Army), they have always made us look bad. As Jessie Palmer said the other night, it is almost impossible to prepare for a game, because you don't want to hurt your own players. I personally think cut blocking should be illegal. Nebraska hurt a lot of players, and they did it on purpose. The blessing of th App. State game is that we didn't lose any DLs for the season.

I mentioned this in another post. The cut blocking is an issue and needs to be taken completely out of the game. It's an unfair equalizer.

Reactions: 1 person
Yup I cringe every time I know we are about to face an O-Line that cut blocks. It should have been made illegal years ago imo

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back