Apparently this is a big deal?

I'm certainly no expert.

But one of the big questions concerning Spyre's NIL deals with current and future Vols players is, how does Spyre know which recruits to go after, and how highly to value them?

We know that Universities are not generally allowed to directly involve themselves in NIL deals. But the coaches of the university are the ones who know what the team needs and who to go after. Something has to give.

This appears to be the state government positioning the state of Tennessee for success in the new college landscape by allowing that critical communication between Spyre and the coaching staff to occur. Heupel is now allowed to tell them, "go after Iamaleava in a big way," for instance. Legally, without breaking any rules.

Remember, the NCAA, skittish about having to go back to court and losing even more ground, is begging the US Congress to step in and establish some field-leveling rules about how NIL will work nationwide. Congress doesn't seem interested in grabbing hold of that tar baby. As a result, the NCAA finds itself deferring to the states, many of which are establishing their own more or less restrictive rules.

This is Tennessee becoming one of the more football-friendly states when it comes to NIL and college ball.

That's how I read it, anyway.

Last edited:
This is SMU legalized take the money to the kids high school and say that is the guy and they take care of the rest. That is how SMU got Eric Dickerson the story went a big time booster at SMU went to his practice one day when he was in high school with an assistant coach and he said is that guy and the assistant said yes sir that is Eric Dickerson. This is going to change the entire landscape of college football. I would say before it is all said and every major program will have a recruiting team that consist of many different aspects. Coaches will have the final say but like I said there will be a lot many different people involved in the recruiting of a certain recruit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dovervolz
I know I'm messing with the anticipation high of many fellow VFLs, but if you stone cold logically look at this down the road...

Sorry. No blue font.

(But at least you can relax 4 minutes to enjoy Coppola's beautiful dissolves and brilliant interplay between diagetic and non-diagetic sound. In 10 years we may all be watching movies on Saturday afternoons.)

This is huge for our football program. I’m sure Saban will have a hissy fit over this.

I'm certainly no expert.

But one of the big questions concerning Spyre's NIL deals with current and future Vols players is, how does Spyre know which recruits to go after, and how highly to value them?

We know that Universities are not generally allowed to directly involve themselves in NIL deals. But the coaches of the university are the ones who know what the team needs and who to go after. Something has to give.

This appears to be the state government positioning the state of Tennessee for success in the new college landscape by allowing that critical communication between Spyre and the coaching staff to occur. Heupel is now allowed to tell them, "go after Iamaleava in a big way," for instance. Legally, without breaking any rules.

Remember, the NCAA, skittish about having to go back to court and losing even more ground, is begging the US Congress to step in and establish some field-leveling rules about how NIL will work nationwide. Congress doesn't seem interested in grabbing hold of that tar baby. As a result, the NCAA finds itself deferring to the states, many of which are establishing their own more or less restrictive rules.

This is Tennessee becoming one of the more football-friendly states when it comes to NIL and college ball.

I hope it get to the point to where Spyre could be put in the position to control the football program. I have said it for years when you have something that is capable of making well over a $100 million and year then it needs to be run like what it is and that is a business. Over the last 10 to 15 years we have seen first hand what happens when you have a A.D department that has absolutely no understanding of what it is doing and how bad it can get. It needs to be structured like the NFL.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Careful. Some here think Saban spins the earth.
Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing him spin a globe around at a press conference. He sneakily made everyone close their eyes, ran over to the light switch and turned off the lights just as the globe stopped spinning. He told everyone to reach underneath their seats and put on these blackout googles and open their eyes. He then turned the lights back on and everyone in the room started bowing to him as he had a villainous grin on his face. 5 minutes later they all walked outside to the sun beaming down at high noon and everyone removed their goggles and went on their way like nothing happened. One person said to another, “I think he spun the world back around for us.”

I hope it get to the point to where Spyre could be put in the position to control the football program. I have said it for years when you have something that is capable of making well over a $100 million and year then it needs to be run like what it is and that is a business. Over the last 10 to 15 years we have seen first hand what happens when you have a A.D department that has absolutely no understanding of what it is doing and how bad it can get. It needs to be structured like the NFL.

I suspect this is correct. Power 5 NCAA Football is a HUGE industry involving billions of dollars nationwide. For as much as I truly HATE TO SAY IT....if'n you wanna be competitive in the world of big-time college football in the 21st century, going forward....the model of how to do it is the NFL.
SICKENING.

Reactions: Southeastern VFL
Are there any other groups besides Sprye sports that may get involved in NIL deals for UT. Question for anyone who may venture a guess.

I'm certainly no expert.

In reply to "governing". I guess the most controlled way to handle this situation is the look to the rules governing the pros. That's what college sports is/has become anyway.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Just out of curiosity, could Spyre work with any coach in any state? Are they tied to Tennessee somehow? Like what’s to stop saban and bama from coming to them and saying, whatever Tennessee is paying we’ll double. And maybe that’s not actually how it works but I’d find it hard to believe the coaches/universities aren’t going to try and “influence” these companies/collectives to benefit themselves only.

Just out of curiosity, could Spyre work with any coach in any state? Are they tied to Tennessee somehow? Like what’s to stop saban and bama from coming to them and saying, whatever Tennessee is paying we’ll double. And maybe that’s not actually how it works but I’d find it hard to believe the coaches/universities aren’t going to try and “influence” these companies/collectives to benefit themselves only.
Spyre Sports Group was created in Knoxville, Tennessee, specifically to provide an NIL platform in support of Tennessee athletics.

So your question kind of hits at a tangent to reality. It's a little like asking whether Cracker Barrel could get into refining oil, or Spectrum/Charter Media could build microwaves for the people of India.* Sure, they could...but that's not why their founders created them, so it's unlikely that's where they would go next.

See what I'm saying? The folks who built Spyre bleed orange. Could they expand to have branches that wear crimson or maize & blue? I guess. Will they? Seems unlikely.

More likely, a group of boosters with entrepreneurial leanings in Tuscaloosa or Athens will copy Spyre's business model for application in support of their own universities. I'd be surprised if that isn't already happening in several college towns across the nation.

Last edited:
I’m still not finding any bill or EO that was signed by him regarding this. Anyone know where it can been found?

VN Store

Back