Apparently Free Shoes is working on Taggart's buyout.

FSU isn't buyout out Taggart, at least not this year. If you want to know the reason the program is in the shape that it's in, look no further than the head man in College Station.

I know Jimbo won a title, and I think he was a good hire for A&M (not sure I would have fully guaranteed the contract, but they have the resources to do that). But that was an epic coast job he did in Tallahassee after the 2013 national title season. They almost lost a ton of games the season after that with Jameis before getting destroyed in the CFP semi, then had a couple of pretty good 10-win seasons, then totally mailed it in in 2017.

Jimbo has a reputation as a great coach, and he is one of only 5 active coaches with a title, but let's not forget he only had 1 truly great season at FSU and left the program in tatters.

I can't claim to be an expert on their roster, but there is no way that Jimbo Fisher left the cupboard empty enough to lose to teams like Wake Forest and even Boise State. I know they struggled on the offensive line and at QB last year, but they have 4 and 5 stars littered down that roster. A coaching change causes some turnover as well.

But if you look at their depth chart right now, they have at least two 4 stars starting on the OL along with two 5 star RB's and a couple of 4 star WR's. Then, they have 4 and 5 stars all down their defense. I would have to think player development is part of the problem because they have talent to beat teams like WF, who don't recruit all that well.

I can't claim to be an expert on their roster, but there is no way that Jimbo Fisher left the cupboard empty enough to lose to teams like Wake Forest and even Boise State. I know they struggled on the offensive line and at QB last year, but they have 4 and 5 stars littered down that roster. A coaching change causes some turnover as well.

But if you look at their depth chart right now, they have at least two 4 stars starting on the OL along with two 5 star RB's and a couple of 4 star WR's. Then, they have 4 and 5 stars all down their defense. I would have to think player development is part of the problem because they have talent to beat teams like WF, who don't recruit all that well.
It was the culture, not the talent, that Jimbo let slip. Kind of like a guy who used to coach at Tennessee. Butch didn't leave the cupboard empty enough to lose to teams like Georgia St either.

Reactions: vettefool
It was the culture, not the talent, that Jimbo let slip. Kind of like a guy who used to coach at Tennessee. Butch didn't leave the cupboard empty enough to lose to teams like Georgia St either.

Yea, but in year two, coaches should be able to implement their culture. I put the GSU loss mainly on the coaches but also on the QB. The team has certainly gotten better. We didn't have a QB for the first 4 games, and maybe that is part of FSU's problem. But FSU doesn't play near the schedule that UT does.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I hate Florida State with every fiber of my being...But if they're smart, they'll do everything they realistically can to try and get Matt Campbell or Matt Rhule...Despite their financial constraints, it is an elite top tier job. *BARF*

Please enlighten me on the financial setbacks

They’ve got plenty of backing if something needs to be done

Do you think the Falcons have a shot at Tua or Fromm in the draft ? Ryan is getting old and it shows

Not sure if it’s sarcasm or not but the Falcons would have to continue to lose and hope Miami and Washington win.

While I don’t see Washington taking a QB Atlanta is projected 4th overall. With Cincinnati and Miami a complete mess I can see both going 1 or 2. Take into consideration Tua injury given it comes back later in the season he could slide back. I wouldn’t count on it though. Personally, with those two likely unavailable they should look at Herbert out of Oregon. At 6-6 225 hes for the size, mobility, and arm strength to be a franchise guy. Fromm would be my first choice though especially if they do get Harbaugh.

Not sure if it’s sarcasm or not but the Falcons would have to continue to lose and hope Miami and Washington win.

While I don’t see Washington taking a QB Atlanta is projected 4th overall. With Cincinnati and Miami a complete mess I can see both going 1 or 2. Take into consideration Tua injury given it comes back later in the season he could slide back. I wouldn’t count on it though. Personally, with those two likely unavailable they should look at Herbert out of Oregon. At 6-6 225 hes for the size, mobility, and arm strength to be a franchise guy. Fromm would be my first choice though especially if they do get Harbaugh.
yeah it was serious -- Miami and the Bungals always manage to screw up their drafts - I think Atl has a good shot at 1 of the 3 QBs -- Tua might not even declare imo -- I bet Blank would do everything he can to get Fromm

Taggart must but be liked.

If he were to be hit by a bus....
Surely you could have said anything else

I guess they like ex-Florida coaches about as much as we do.

I think this is a great line. Gives me a modicum (well, maybe not that much) of respect for them FSU Seminoles.

yeah it was serious -- Miami and the Bungals always manage to screw up their drafts - I think Atl has a good shot at 1 of the 3 QBs -- Tua might not even declare imo -- I bet Blank would do everything he can to get Fromm

I can see that but he’s smart enough not to sell the farm for one guy.

I'd take Urban in a heartbeat. I didn't like the Taggart hire from day one. Looking at back to back losing seasons for the first time in 40+ years.

RE: that report that FSU's top potential target is Urban, FSU AD to the Talla. Democrat:"If Coach were hit by a bus tomorrow, we would not target CoachMeyer, period. I say that w all due respect to CoachMeyer but we would not target SteveSpurrier either."

Wishful thinking by the AD?.....

VN Store

Back