Ap Top 25, Vols #5

Why you think that is a certain, likely, or even possible outcome this season is what’s baffling.

If LSU wins and TCU isn't 13-0, there is only one undefeated P5 champ, Big Ten winner.

Since Georgia is a lock for the playoff whether they are 12-1 or 13-0, they get a spot. Big Ten winner would be a lock. Tennessee is a lock. So it would boil down to the following 4 teams to get the last spot below. I think I know who's resumê looks best.

1. 11-2 SEC Champ LSU (7 Game win streak with 3 wins over top 10 teams including #1 in Atlanta)
  2. 12-1 ACC Champ Clemson (UNC likely opponent also 1 loss)
  3. 12-1 Big 12 Champ TCU (Any other team has 2 losses)
  4. 12-1 PAC12 Champ Oregon (can swap out USC)

Reactions: Volfootball55
Ultimately nothing will get fixed until college football decides that it’s playoffs should work like every other sport. Divisions and teams with the best records advancing to the playoffs. The final scoreboard is the only eye test you need.

Can you imagine if the NFL handled it like the CFP? Hey Titans, congrats on winning the division. But we think the AFC East is the stronger division so we’re going to let the Dolphins into the playoffs ahead of you.

I’m not him but last night someone made the statement they hoped LSU or whoever beat Georgia in the championship game.

I and a couple others stated this could be bad for Tennessee. Tennessee needs Georgia to keep winning. Especially if it were LSU.
yeah, I mean I don’t know why you would hope our one loss on the season would drop the SEC Championship game before selection time but as far as it affecting the playoff teams it could drop Georgia from the 1 seed but it won’t replace Tennessee as the second SEC team. (assuming of course we win out and it’s not a one loss Ole Miss beating UGA in the secc).

Ultimately nothing will get fixed until college football decides that it’s playoffs should work like every other sport. Divisions and teams with the best records advancing to the playoffs. The final scoreboard is the only eye test you need.

Can you imagine if the NFL handled it like the CFP? Hey Titans, congrats on winning the division. But we think the AFC East is the stronger division so we’re going to let the Dolphins into the playoffs ahead of you.
Away teams get wrecked this way in CFB. NFL has 17 games to make divisions okay

yeah, I mean I don’t know why you would hope our one loss on the season would drop the SEC Championship game before selection time but as far as it affecting the playoff teams it could drop Georgia from the 1 seed but it won’t replace Tennessee as the second SEC team. (assuming of course we win out and it’s not a one loss Ole Miss beating UGA in the secc).

I think it is because people are having panic attacks thinking Tennessee needs a lot of help to get into the playoff. As long as we finish 11-1, we will be in. I think people suffer from BVS and are getting all worked up over a nothing burger. Just relax baby and drink some orange koolaid.

Away teams get wrecked this way in CFB. NFL has 17 games to make divisions okay

You can still have neutral site playoffs. I just mean the teams that get in should be based on game results and nothing else. No strength of schedule. No performance analysis against weaker teams. You want to use conference championships to determine it? Fine. But the result should speak for itself. A two loss team goes to their conference championship and beats an undefeated team? The winner advances.

If LSU wins and TCU isn't 13-0, there is only one undefeated P5 champ, Big Ten winner.

Since Georgia is a lock for the playoff whether they are 12-1 or 13-0, they get a spot. Big Ten winner would be a lock. Tennessee is a lock. So it would boil down to the following 4 teams to get the last spot below. I think I know who's resumê looks best.

1. 11-2 SEC Champ LSU (7 Game win streak with 3 wins over top 10 teams including #1 in Atlanta)
  2. 12-1 ACC Champ Clemson (UNC likely opponent also 1 loss)
  3. 12-1 Big 12 Champ TCU (Any other team has 2 losses)
  4. 12-1 PAC12 Champ Oregon (can swap out USC)
Yeah, a PAC champion Oregon or USC with one loss is going over a two loss LSU. You conveniently mention the win streak LSU would be on but leave out what Oregons would be at that point.

And for fun say TCU is undefeated. I’ve heard that 11-1 Tennessee is a lock and an SEC champ LSU is a lock. So in that situation TCU is left out at 13-0?

Some of us differ.

“If” LSU is sitting at say 6th come the end of the season. Then they play and beat the number 1 team and is the champ of the best conference…….you don’t think they will move up just 2 spots? Remember Tennessee Michigan/Ohio ST (1 of them) and some others will be sitting home not moving the needle. Their SOS will improve, their SOR will improve, and I think they would certainly move up 2 spots possibly 3.

This “shouldn’t” really effect Tennessee. However we think it would, because we don’t think the committee would put 3 SEC teams in.

Simply by playing Georgia Tennessee’s SOS went from 19th to 2nd……..LSU’s is 8th right now…….what would it be when they play Georgia?

Yeah, a PAC champion Oregon or USC with one loss is going over a two loss LSU. You conveniently mention the win streak LSU would be on but leave out what Oregons would be at that point.

And for fun say TCU is undefeated. I’ve heard that 11-1 Tennessee is a lock and an SEC champ LSU is a lock. So in that situation TCU is left out at 13-0?
No, at 11-1 Tennessee is not a lock. We've got a good shot but all this "Book your tickets" is just howler monkey gibberish.

If TCU is undefeated, LSU and any other conference champ with a loss would be out. TCU would be the 3 seed, UGA at 2 (of a loss to LSU), and Tennessee at 4.

Regarding Oregon's win streak, it wouldn't include anything like LSU's 7 game win streak 3 top 10 wins (Ole Miss, Bama, and UGA)... I think Bama wins vs Ole Miss so their 3 top ten wins would be a combined 32-5 record.... Oregon has faced nothing like that in their 12 game win streak if they win out.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Some of us differ.

“If” LSU is sitting at say 6th come the end of the season. Then they play and beat the number 1 team and is the champ of the best conference…….you don’t think they will move up just 2 spots? Remember Tennessee Michigan/Ohio ST (1 of them) and some others will be sitting home not moving the needle. Their SOS will improve, their SOR will improve, and I think they would certainly move up 2 spots possibly 3.

This “shouldn’t” really effect Tennessee. However we think it would, because we don’t think the committee would put 3 SEC teams in.

Simply by playing Georgia Tennessee’s SOS went from 19th to 2nd……..LSU’s is 8th right now…….what would it be when they play Georgia?
Agreed I think 3 sec teams is not on the table though it is being argued. At the end of the day just between UT and LSU let’s say, the committee would have to sit down and choose an LSU team with an extra loss to an average ACC team and a head to head home thrashing against Tennessee who took care of business against every opponent except number 1 in Athens. Don’t see it happening.

Agreed I think 3 sec teams is not on the table though it is being argued. At the end of the day just between UT and LSU let’s say, the committee would have to sit down and choose an LSU team with an extra loss to an average ACC team and a head to head home thrashing against Tennessee who took care of business against every opponent except number 1 in Athens. Don’t see it happening.

Agree

However that comparison would “likely” come down to the extra loss vs actually winning the SEC.

They would have played an extra game. At that point their SOS will be better and their SOR will probably be better.

Tennessee thrashed them at home but LSU would have beaten Georgia at a neutral site.

In all seriousness it “shouldn’t affect Tennessee at all. Especially if TCU were to lose. However because of the 3 teams it would.

However in reality…….it most likely won’t…….LSU isn’t beating Georgia.

I don't think the committee would be comparing Tennessee's candidacy for a playoff spot vs LSU. LSU would be argued vs the other 1 loss champs if TCU doesn't go 13-0.

Tennessee is in the playoff as long as we go 11-1.

I don't think the committee would be comparing Tennessee's candidacy for a playoff spot vs LSU. LSU would be argued vs the other 1 loss champs if TCU doesn't go 13-0.

Tennessee is in the playoff as long as we go 11-1.

I feel the same way. In normalcy Tennessee would simply be in. And LSU left fighting the 4th spot and probably winning it.

However I don’t “see” them putting 3 SEC teams in.

At that point they would be forced to debate LSU and Tennessee.

Boys and girls , as far as Lsu is concerned , it’s what have you done lately , and if they win Sec Championship, they will go ahead of the Vols, watch and see. But first , they have to make it there . Lol

I feel the same way. In normalcy Tennessee would simply be in. And LSU left fighting the 4th spot and probably winning it.

However I don’t “see” them putting 3 SEC teams in.

At that point they would be forced to debate LSU and Tennessee.

They may not have a choice if TCU loses a game and LSU wins out. Cause Tennessee will be in the playoff at 11-1.

VN Store

Back