Anyone watch the Duke/UCF finish? UCF had at least 4 chances to put Duke away in the last minute

I’m going to criticizeDuke as if they are UT....how do they barley beat a crappy team and expect to do anything..coach k got outcoached today and we got lucky.....no way we make it out of the 16, we don’t even deserve to be there after today
You're obviously unhappy the VOLS won. Vandie fan?

Did Duke get by with 2 fouls at the end or is it just me. Zion ran over that boy, then on the rebound, ucf boy got pushed out of bounds. Guess it's my orange colored glasses!!

You're obviously unhappy the VOLS won. Vandie fan?
Nope, just pointing out all the negativity the vols get when we win. I’m happy. But some around here will be tearing us apart. Just pointing out if you replace Duke and put UT in that game with the same outcome it’s doomsday around here.

Reactions: feathersax
Did Duke get by with 2 fouls at the end or is it just me. Zion ran over that boy, then on the rebound, ucf boy got pushed out of bounds. Guess it's my orange colored glasses!!
Just watched the highlights. The last UCF foul on the Zion drive was legit. Taco Fall was way inside the restricted area.

OK. I get your drift. VN can get rather crazy. BVS is alive & well, but more importantly our VOLS are in the SWEET 16!
Nope, just pointing out all the negativity the vols get when we win. I’m happy. But some around here will be tearing us apart. Just pointing out if you replace Duke and put UT in that game with the same outcome it’s doomsday around here.

Reactions: bigdaddy
NCAA has to protect blue bloods like Iowa though so it makes sense.

They do have to protect horrible officiating.

I am beginning to think disqualification due to fouls in college basketball should be eliminated. Given the inconsistency in officiating. UT was severely affected by timing of some fouls in that game and who they were called on. Not commenting on legitimacy of fouls or lack thereof, but a few bad calls can completely change how a team has to play.

a textbook hook and hold.
CAD1CA9E-1B19-4312-A364-F7E8216FED71.jpeg
Wow! Not only can you see the blatant hook and hold which is clearly not incidental, but you can also see Barrett pushing the UCF player in the back. Two terrible, game-deciding no calls in one shot!

They do have to protect horrible officiating.

I am beginning to think disqualification due to fouls in college basketball should be eliminated. Given the inconsistency in officiating. UT was severely affected by timing of some fouls in that game and who they were called on. Not commenting on legitimacy of fouls or lack thereof, but a few bad calls can completely change how a team has to play.

Heck no on the disqualification idea.

I just want to see some accountability somewhere. The refs simply can't be allowed to make four bad calls at the end without repercussions. The NBA releases reports on the last two minutes and a list of missed calls. Does it do anything to change a result? No. But at least the NBA is looking at their sport and holding refs to a high standard.

Turner blocked a shot and would have had an easy lay up. The ref called an atrocious foul and Iowa got 3 free throws. It was a 5 point swing. Game never sees overtime if not for that horrible call. Iowa was lucky but Vols overcame.
Not to mention he blew the whistle and didn't call a foul until a discussion with another official took place. That's proof to me that he had no foul to call, but he decided on one after blowing the action dead.

Heck no on the disqualification idea.

I just want to see some accountability somewhere. The refs simply can't be allowed to make four bad calls at the end without repercussions. The NBA releases reports on the last two minutes and a list of missed calls. Does it do anything to change a result? No. But at least the NBA is looking at their sport and holding refs to a high standard.

As a fan I am not getting the best game when Fall is ejected with 2 minutes remaining in the Duke UCF game. Hell, I am not seeing the best game every time his HC has to sit him because he has 4 fouls.

Reactions: vols33
Not to mention he blew the whistle and didn't call a foul until a discussion with another official took place. That's proof to me that he had no foul to call, but he decided on one after blowing the action dead.

This. And the Fulkerson call. That was atrocious. In no sane world is that a double foul. And these are the best refs?

This. And the Fulkerson call. That was atrocious. In no sane world is that a double foul. And these are the best refs?
It's calls like that that are the real head-scratchers. Some of this bellyaching about refs is because we have dozens of HD cameras filming every possible square inch of the court, a relatively recent development. But the Fulkerson thing...I'm not sure how 3 officials miss a blatant shove of Fulkerson right at the top of the key. Everybody saw it.

The refs gave Duke the game. Shannon Sharpe made a great comment on it. He said you could have easily called an offensive foul on Zion. But are you going to be the official to make that call? Because you will be forever known as the ref that called a charge on Zion. Even he say it. Zion and Duke gets a ton of calls. This years Duke are like the 1997 Michigan football team. Zion is Woodson. They are the media darlings.

Turner blocked a shot and would have had an easy lay up. The ref called an atrocious foul and Iowa got 3 free throws. It was a 5 point swing. Game never sees overtime if not for that horrible call. Iowa was lucky but Vols overcame.

That call was the most egregious of the game imo. Even watching it in slow motion Turner never fouled him. I dont understand how that call couldnt be reviewed in that situation. That was a huge swing like you said.

Reactions: allvol123
Just watched the highlights. The last UCF foul on the Zion drive was legit. Taco Fall was way inside the restricted area.

Except the no-call on the player that Zion bowled over right before that was pure garbage officiating.

Really, we need to go back to the definition of blocking and charging that was in effect for so many years. Either your feet are set or they aren't. The current rule makes no sense and is even more subjective than it has ever been. And please get rid of the dumb restricted area.

Except the no-call on the player that Zion bowled over right before that was pure garbage officiating.

Really, we need to go back to the definition of blocking and charging that was in effect for so many years. Either your feet are set or they aren't. The current rule makes no sense and is even more subjective than it has ever been. And please get rid of the dumb restricted area.
The problem in this case wasn't that he called a block when it was a charge, or a charge when it was a block. He didn't make an improper call. There was obviously a foul on the play and the contact was initiated by Williamson. At best that's 80 - 20 charge if you removed the names on the front and back of the jersey. But even still..

Given the circumstances it worked out the best it could for Duke and they still got by with the hook and hold on the miss. That gets called in that situation and the game is more less over.
With a block call, Zion is shooting 2 down by 3 with the oak tree still in the game for rebounding. Worst case you get Zion to make, miss, and put back and you have a tie game. Most likely you re up 2 or 3 with the ball and Duke is fouling.

With a charge, Duke is till down 3 and fouling. UCF hits 1 and the game is essentially over.

People complaining about how Duke “got all the calls” in that game did not watch the whole game.

I've said it before (and it is not just this game/team), but people only tend to focus what they remember last - essentially the last 3 minutes or less in a close game. Good/bad calls happen from the start to the finish, just as good/bad play happens from the start to finish.

I've said it before (and it is not just this game/team), but people only tend to focus what they remember last - essentially the last 3 minutes or less in a close game. Good/bad calls happen from the start to the finish, just as good/bad play happens from the start to finish.

People also see what they want to see.

Cam’s clean block where UCF got 3 free throws and the no-call on Tacko’s bludgeoning of Zion, pictured below, were both probably worse than any call or non-call that went against UCF. Duke also had more fouls called on them than UCF did, but there are still people complaining that everything is “rigged” for Duke, because of course there are.

Reactions: volwindy

VN Store

Back