Anyone play guitar?

Inspired by the recent passing of Vinnie Paul, I pulled out some old Pantera tonight. It's amazing how the songs I learned 20-ish years ago still seem fresh in my hands. I wish I could still learn stuff as easily as I did in my younger years!

If you guys haven't found it yet, there are some great backing tracks here:

Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com

It's a lot more fun to rock out with a full band!

IMO, the most distinguishable guitarist I've ever heard are Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Zach Wylde, and Billy Gibbons.

By distinguishable, I mean their style and tone are so unique, they could be playing for someone else and I can pick them out.

A good example was when Michael Jackson released "Beat It" and I knew right away that guitar was EVH. No doubt.

Style and tone. Style and tone.

Are there others that can immitate these guys? Sure. But, if you listen closely, you can even distinguish between the real McCoy and the imposter.

You forgot to include Steve Howe in your virtuoso category. Under no circumstance would I include Van Halen in that category. Joe Walsh doesn't merit a mention in any category either.

Yep, saw Steve Howe with YES at the Ryman 2-3 years ago. They played "Close to the Edge" and "Fragile".
With Steve Howe in the band they are great.

DW says it was 2014. time flies.

Just came across this thread. Pretty cool! Hard to argue with the names on here. Brought back some memories. I have to mention some of my favorites that I didn't see mentioned. Here goes.
Virtuoso: Leo Kotke, Adrian Legg, Larry Coryele, Jerry Douglass(Dobro) and Merle Travis
Legend: Mark Knopfler, Martin Barre(Tull)
Underrated: Jerry Reed
Overrated:Ritchie Blackmore

I'm not generally a country music listener but check out Merle Travis I think he is the original slow hand. I'd swear there is no way that sound is coming out of that guitar with the hand action you see.

IMO, the most distinguishable guitarist I've ever heard are Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Zach Wylde, and Billy Gibbons.

By distinguishable, I mean their style and tone are so unique, they could be playing for someone else and I can pick them out.

A good example was when Michael Jackson released "Beat It" and I knew right away that guitar was EVH. No doubt.

Style and tone. Style and tone.

Are there others that can imitate these guys? Sure. But, if you listen closely, you can even distinguish between the real McCoy and the imposter.
You'd have to add SRV to that list. His playing is instantly recognizable. I know EVH and SRV invested a lot of time in their sound. Eddie focused more on the guitar, but I do know Eddie rigged a Marshall so he good get that specific distortion/overdrive without having to crank the volume. But most of his sound was from how he Franksteined his guitars. Stevie, as far as I know, played a pretty standard strat, 62' with 59' pickups. I know he piddled with a ton of amp combinations, but even when he sat in using other's rigs, he still sounded like SRV.

Glad to see a few mentions of Gary Moore, John Sykes, and Michael Schenker.

Here's a few more that need to be mentioned: Eric Gales from Memphis, Michael Romeo of Symphony X, John Petrucci of Dream Theater, Jim Matheos of Fates Warning, Alex Lifeson of Rush, and Rik Emmett of Triumph.

Inspired by the recent passing of Vinnie Paul, I pulled out some old Pantera tonight. It's amazing how the songs I learned 20-ish years ago still seem fresh in my hands. I wish I could still learn stuff as easily as I did in my younger years!

If you guys haven't found it yet, there are some great backing tracks here:

Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com

It's a lot more fun to rock out with a full band!
Pantera live was pretty awesome. Dimebag was a beast.

Reactions: norrislakevol
I have seen a lot of great guitarists mentioned in this thread. I have been playing guitar for 30 years now, and sure, EVH, Randy Rhodes, and Jimmy Paige are 3 of the best I have ever heard, mainly because of the way they influenced the way the guitar is played. You would have to also put Hendrix in that mix too.

However, I have not seen mention of one guy who also revolutionized the 6 string: Dave Mustaine. Do youself a favor and listen to Megadeth's "Wake Up Dead", "Tornado of Souls", and "Hangar 18". He and Marty Friedman roast the strings off on those solos, and they played the same way live.

There are so many great guitar players today that it is ridiculous. Everyone has so many resources these days.

To any jazz acoustic or electric guitar players out there, I would highly recommend checking out Julian Lage. How he blends jazz with Bluegrass is truly an amazing sound to behold. He also does a lot of "free" improvisation.

Thanks for that one, dude is ridiculously talented. Possible new obsession.

Eric Clapton once said that Prince was the greatest guitar player the world has ever seen. Or something to that effect. Dave Grohl said something similar once too. Saw an interview with Chet Atkins late in his life (Maybe mid-90s?) and he said something like "at this time in music, there is no one I would rather listen to play a guitar than Prince."

I'll roll with those guys.

Anyone fool around with open g tuning much?

"That's The Way" by Led Zeppelin uses open G tuning. I love that song! I just learned how to play it, but I can't sing it worth a damn. Just one complete octave or so short LOL

Bumping this for the bass players.
Who is/are the best?

Jaco. Victor Wooten. Stanley Clark

Great list! He's not elite the way those guys are, but I really like John Paul Jones's style. I love his use of octave jumps and how he could find so many ways to make the same chord changes. I could listen to him play 12-bar blues forever!

So, posting Tommy Bolin is like saying, "Frau Blucher" in front of horses, eh?

I have seen a lot of great guitarists mentioned in this thread. I have been playing guitar for 30 years now, and sure, EVH, Randy Rhodes, and Jimmy Paige are 3 of the best I have ever heard, mainly because of the way they influenced the way the guitar is played. You would have to also put Hendrix in that mix too.

However, I have not seen mention of one guy who also revolutionized the 6 string: Dave Mustaine. Do youself a favor and listen to Megadeth's "Wake Up Dead", "Tornado of Souls", and "Hangar 18". He and Marty Friedman roast the strings off on those solos, and they played the same way live.

There are so many great guitar players today that it is ridiculous. Everyone has so many resources these days.
"Rust in Peace" is a technical masterpiece. I think it is underappreciated, as it isn't as catchy/enjoyable to non-electric guitar players as, say, the Metallica or Pantera albums of that era.

I remember seeing a tab of Hangar 18 in one of the guitar mags back in the day... It was like 20 pages of flat-out arpegiated shred solos. I looked over it, tipped my hat, and gave it a quick "nope."

Reactions: norrislakevol
"Rust in Peace" is a technical masterpiece. I think it is underappreciated, as it isn't as catchy/enjoyable to non-electric guitar players as, say, the Metallica or Pantera albums of that era.

I remember seeing a tab of Hangar 18 in one of the guitar mags back in the day... It was like 20 pages of flat-out arpegiated shred solos. I looked over it, tipped my hat, and gave it a quick "nope."

Hahaha! Yeah that stuff is hard to play. Makes you want to just go out and burn your guitar. Dave Mustaine has some instructional videos on how to play some of Megadeths stuff note for note.

Great list! He's not elite the way those guys are, but I really like John Paul Jones's style. I love his use of octave jumps and how he could find so many ways to make the same chord changes. I could listen to him play 12-bar blues forever!
Absolutely, Amazing how complex and unique his bass lines weee in light of what Page was doing on guitar. He could have sat back and played root notes, but took it to another level.

VN Store

Back