Anyone play guitar?

Did we get a Peter Green mention yet?

I saw Elvin Bishop mentioned. The PQ is terrible but this is a great performance.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2iXNaiRqA[/youtube]

Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't fit any the superlatives but is one of my all time favs - James Williamson of the Stooges and solo Iggy Pop.

One you probably know:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjXgxbVXrrU[/youtube]

One you probably don't:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCb6dudqftQ[/youtube]

And lessons if you want to play Search and Destroy (and who wouldn't)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OvB-wDt7mA&t=226s[/youtube]

There are famous guitarists that give online lessons over Skype sometimes. I know Paul Gilbert was doing that on occasion.

Nice! I signed up for a month. I’ll probably take it month by month after that with lessons

Ape...what you think about Buckethead...

Or has he been mentioned here by his real name? I have seen him abuse a guitar..he travels the country all the time, dude is like 6ft6..with the bucket maybe 7ft8...or 7ft.10?

Y'all should YouTube him, he can play anything rock and roll. As far as i know, he doesn't sing or even speak? Just shreds a guitar and then leaves, with a KFC bucket on his head to remain anonymous

Edit...watch him play "soothsayer" live...wow

Last edited:
Reactions: norrislakevol
Yngwie Malmsteen. I had never heard of this guy before this thread. Been watching some of his instructional videos and listening to his playing. He's amazingly fast of course, but what is striking is his knowledge of music and music theory. I am fairly well versed in theory actually, and to actually hear a guitar shredder talk about Phrygian scales and their use is pretty awesome. It also makes me want to throw my guitars in the dump.

Nice! I signed up for a month. I’ll probably take it month by month after that with lessons
Two words.

Community College.

I have taken lessons at the local CC and you get 1 on 1 and it is really cheap compared to commercial lessons. I haven't looked into paying for internet lessons but I think that for me it would be too easy to blow that off because I don't have to drag my lazy ass down to the school for a lesson.

I learned to windsurf at CC. The entire semester cost less than one lesson would have cost at the local windsurfing school.

Learn (and practice) scales and arpeggios. They ain't sexy, and it can be boring, but they are the foundation to play like some of the guys mentioned above. And be deliberate. If you are just starting, start correctly. Practice slowly, and watch your technique.

Learn (and practice) scales and arpeggios. They ain't sexy, and it can be boring, but they are the foundation to play like some of the guys mentioned above. And be deliberate. If you are just starting, start correctly. Practice slowly, and watch your technique.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll look into local cc as well. I’m paying $95 for 4 30 min lessons, every Monday

Yngwie Malmsteen. I had never heard of this guy before this thread. Been watching some of his instructional videos and listening to his playing. He's amazingly fast of course, but what is striking is his knowledge of music and music theory. I am fairly well versed in theory actually, and to actually hear a guitar shredder talk about Phrygian scales and their use is pretty awesome. It also makes me want to throw my guitars in the dump.
I’m a huge Yngwie fan. His first album is his best and worth checking out. I actually was driving right beside him down in Miami one time. I thought it was some lady driving topless in her Ferrari for a moment until we were stopped at a light. The guy wears tons of jewelry even when he’s not got cameras on him. It was pretty funny.

I just bought a bunch of Van Halen and Satriani albums and the matching tablature books when I was a kid. Worked out alright.

That's funny. My first guitar teacher did a little theory, but I was already classically trained on the piano and wanted to rock out. So, I would just take him a song to learn and he would tab it out and teach me to play it each week. "Johnny B Goode" was honestly my first lesson, and I think either "5150" or "Hot Summer Nights" was next. Needless to say, there was a bit of a learning curve. Thankfully, I had a small portable headphone amplifier, or my dad might have moved out.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll look into local cc as well. I’m paying $95 for 4 30 min lessons, every Monday
I just looked at the local CC, and the fee for the whole semester is $104. I think there is a lab fee in there as well, but that is once a week for an hour and for the whole semester. Just something to think about.

I just looked at the local CC, and the fee for the whole semester is $104. I think there is a lab fee in there as well, but that is once a week for an hour and for the whole semester. Just something to think about.

Thanks! There is one a out 3 miles from my house. I’ll check there

That's funny. My first guitar teacher did a little theory, but I was already classically trained on the piano and wanted to rock out. So, I would just take him a song to learn and he would tab it out and teach me to play it each week. "Johnny B Goode" was honestly my first lesson, and I think either "5150" or "Hot Summer Nights" was next. Needless to say, there was a bit of a learning curve. Thankfully, I had a small portable headphone amplifier, or my dad might have moved out.

I started out on classical guitar and was taught by a classical guitar player. Eventually I was like you..I wanted to rock! Asked to learn how to play Pink Floyd..Zep..then I bought Van Halen tapes/tab and just went to town. Running with the Devil was the first full song I learned. Then I moved on to Metallica.

To any jazz acoustic or electric guitar players out there, I would highly recommend checking out Julian Lage. How he blends jazz with Bluegrass is truly an amazing sound to behold. He also does a lot of "free" improvisation.

For the Joe Bonamassa fans here he will be playing 3 shows in Nashville at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville August 9,10,11th.

While in the Politics thread a discussion of guitarists started up and I thought maybe it would be fun to see who e'rybody listens to. So I'll list a few categories and you can add your opinions and I'll adjust the list on this post as I get agreement or dissent. I do think we should not strive to find the 'best' or 'GOAT' because it is always so subjective. I'll add other categories too if ya'll can suggest any. Should be kind of fun.

Virtuoso: Al DiMeola/Paco DeLucia/Steve Morse/John McLaughlin/Eddie Van Halen/Steve Vai/Eric Johnson

All around awesome: David Gilmour/Eric Clapton/Jimi Hendrix/Joe Walsh

Most underrated: Terry Kath/Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler/Frampton/Roy Clark/Glen Campbell/Prince/George Harrison

Most overrated:Jimmy Page :p

You forgot to include Steve Howe in your virtuoso category. Under no circumstance would I include Van Halen in that category. Joe Walsh doesn't merit a mention in any category either.

Also Adrian Belew. Even more of a virtuoso than his playing mate for several years, Robert Fripp

Jake Cinninger is quite the virtuoso himself than many here have never heard of..he's Umphrey's lead man

VN Store

Back