Anyone know this about Johnny Majors?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I was bored tonight and for some reason ended up doing a little reading on Johnny Majors. I ran across this aritcle about how Iowa St. named their pracitce complex after Majors. It's called the Johnny Majors Practice Complex. Here is the link to the article I found if anyone is interested. Cyclone Football

Although I support CPF (at least right now - LOL), I admit I felt that Johnny Majors could have been treated better than he was. I admit I jumped on the Fulmer bandwagon when JM went down with heart trouble and we started the season so well under CPF, but it's still a stain on our history that such a Tennessee fixture, albeit a rusty one, got treated so shabbily. One thing I WILL say for CPF though, his grammar is 100 times better than Majors'. I still cringe when I watch old football videos or interviews.

It is unfortunate that things went down the way they did with Majors since he is such a fixture of Tennessee Football. Like him or not, he really did a lot for our program as a player and a coach.

I liked Majors as a person; however, as a coach, he could get you riiiiiiiiggghhhhhttt there on the edge of being really good and then find a way to tie atleast 2 games in a season. BUT, I absolutely hate the Tom Landry like firing job that they did to him. The entire situation definately could have been handled better. I like Fulmer's coaching style, but the amount of politics on the Hill is too apparent.

I agree that Majors never could quite get to that next level, but I give him credit for building a solid foundation for Fulmer. I find it amusing that Fulmer gets some of the same criticism now that Majors got back then.

How wild is it that Majors is revered at 3 different schools?

Originally posted by GAVol@Mar 5, 2004 1:55 PM
How wild is it that Majors is revered at 3 different schools?

That's pretty impressive!

I think we should do more to get him involved in the University.

VN Store

Back