Anyone hear Finebaum's comment on Pruitt yesterday?

I was playing chess with a friend, and we had the Finebaum Show on in the background. Finebaum took a call from a guy complaining about John Adams not being objective, anti-UT, always digging at Fulmer, etc. (personally, I think someone needs to take Adams behind a woodshed). Anyway, I just caught bits and pieces of the conversation because I was trying to win $20 I was betting on the chess game. The call ended with Finebaum saying, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I don't know about all that, but Jeremy Pruitt is so respected, I honestly believe if Saban all of a sudden retired today, Pruitt would be the first person Alabama would call to replace Saban." Finebaum was blunt and to the point; I was somewhat shocked. Said something to the effect that Fulmer had already affected Alabama because if Pruitt had been Bama's DC this year, they'd won another NC.

Someone who heard the entire call and comments, please correct anything I may have said wrong or add more accurate comments from the call.

Did you happen to catch what time it was when you heard this?

Agreed!! Nothing says that CJP doesn't have the potential to be a great coach, he certainly has the potential to do just that. But TBH I don't believe anything that Alabama fans say about anything. Fans have limited information and the vast majority only believe what they like to hear and read. And Alabama fans really don't care about CJP and what he means to Tennessee football as long as they keep beating us like we stole something every year.

That may be true (BUT i doubt it) but hardly ANY fans were excited or were positive NO media members were on Dooleys side........NO other coaches were like "y'all got yourself a winner over there!!"

That may be true (BUT i doubt it) but hardly ANY fans were excited or were positive NO media members were on Dooleys side........NO other coaches were like "y'all got yourself a winner over there!!"
Fair enough. I can agree that there is a lot more excitement about CJP, and for good reason IMO. I just meant that I would not take any word from Alabama fans as further evidence. I believe what I see, and what I have seen has been positive so far, although we don't have a large sample size as of yet.

No way you can claim to have watched every game this year and not have any questions about his head coaching abilities. If you don’t then you are just a fanboy.
No I watched every play of every game and don’t question him. His mistakes that he had were very limited and majorily expected as a first year head coach. I don’t think a veteran (say Jon Gruden or Mike Grundy) would have or will do better then what Pruitt is going to do for this team.

No I watched every play of every game and don’t question him. His mistakes that he had were very limited and majorily expected as a first year head coach. I don’t think a veteran (say Jon Gruden or Mike Grundy) would have or will do better then what Pruitt is going to do for this team.

*Than. And if you "majorily" expected a first year HC to make some or all of the mistakes that he did, why wouldn't you expect experienced HC's like Gruden and Gundy to have made less mistakes and done at least a little better?

I don't think Pruitt failed this year, but I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't a little disappointed. I saw more to hope for than some of the others, but come on, you can't tell me he couldn't have done even a hair better.

*Than. And if you "majorily" expected a first year HC to make some or all of the mistakes that he did, why wouldn't you expect experienced HC's like Gruden and Gundy to have made less mistakes and done at least a little better?

I don't think Pruitt failed this year, but I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't a little disappointed. I saw more to hope for than some of the others, but come on, you can't tell me he couldn't have done even a hair better.
Yes we will continue to do better. It’s not his fault the team fumbled 6 times against Florida. He also beat Auburn. Some things fall your way, some don’t. With what he was handed I was happy watching for the most part. The end of the season could’ve been better, but I dont necessarily blame that on him. It takes time to get his culture and type of players in there. I honestly blame that more on Butch.

No way you can claim to have watched every game this year and not have any questions about his head coaching abilities. If you don’t then you are just a fanboy.
I chalked a lot of it up to having too many terrible players.

My point is we have a great coach.
I have seen nothing to indicate this as an accurate statement at this point in time. He may turn out to be, but based on last season, he cannot be considered a "great" coach at this juncture. Again, I'm hopeful, but the way the season ended, I don't think he has proved jack.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

He's a first time head coach that had a losing record coming out of the gate, there is no way anyone within in reason can say they have no questions about his HCing abilities.

I have seen nothing to indicate this as an accurate statement at this point in time. He may turn out to be, but based on last season, he cannot be considered a "great" coach at this juncture. Again, I'm hopeful, but the way the season ended, I don't think he has proved jack.
What about his 5 rings before this yr...

Yes we will continue to do better. It’s not his fault the team fumbled 6 times against Florida. He also beat Auburn. Some things fall your way, some don’t. With what he was handed I was happy watching for the most part. The end of the season could’ve been better, but I dont necessarily blame that on him. It takes time to get his culture and type of players in there. I honestly blame that more on Butch.

Ok, 6 fumbles vs UF and losing winnable games-on the players and previous coach.

Beating Auburn-credit Pruitt.

Bad=Players and Butch
Good=Pruitt

Check!

VN Store

Back