Anyone Else

volnSC

I was just wondering if anyone else has found this season to be complete garbage? I mean there have been some absolutely awful games and the amount of bad teams is really high. I get that covid caused a lot of people to opt out and really has limited practices and OTAs but geez. I watched a lot of games where the tackling is worse than my kids Pop Warner league. The NFL has dang near ruined the game with the way they call hits and the amount of protection afforded the QB. Maybe it’s just me, I was just wondering about other’s opinions on the state of the sport.

Defenses are not allowed to play defense. They basically have to play 2 hand touch. When a guy is fearful of losing his game check for making a hit, you understand why there are so many missed tackles.

I was just wondering if anyone else has found this season to be complete garbage? I mean there have been some absolutely awful games and the amount of bad teams is really high. I get that covid caused a lot of people to opt out and really has limited practices and OTAs but geez. I watched a lot of games where the tackling is worse than my kids Pop Warner league. The NFL has dang near ruined the game with the way they call hits and the amount of protection afforded the QB. Maybe it’s just me, I was just wondering about other’s opinions on the state of the sport.

I think you wanted to rant.

The season has been fine; considering the conditions it's been way better than I expected. The fact that we're even going to get a full season is pretty amazing IMO. The only thing I find garbage is that an NFC East team gets a playoff spot.

Defenses are not allowed to play defense. They basically have to play 2 hand touch. When a guy is fearful of losing his game check for making a hit, you understand why there are so many missed tackles.

Not even remotely true; the main reason tackling sucks is too many guys don't actually wrap up and are still trying to go for the knock out hit. That's why you see guys fly in and hit a guy and it doesn't knock them down and they end up gaining 15 more yards or more. Or a guy like Henry just stiffarms them back.

And that's not an "NFL" problem, same crap happens on the college level. If guys would break down and wrap up there would be more tackling.

This constant bitching about how football has become is way more annoying than the actual changes.

It’s been fine. However my biggest complaint is PI. They need to loosen it up a bit and let them fight more downfield. Only call stuff when it’s egregious not every little tic tac thing

Reactions: TBrown
It’s been fine. However my biggest complaint is PI. They need to loosen it up a bit and let them fight more downfield. Only call stuff when it’s egregious not every little tic tac thing

It's definitely inconsistent, but it's been that way for years.

I wish they'd go back to automatic reviews. I know some complained that it slowed down the game but the other night in the GB/Titans game there was a clear step out of bounds that was missed and Vrabel didn't have any time to throw a flag. Also things like the offsides call need to be reviewable. The Titans were not lined up offsides on the FG block and it was a huge swing.

I think this season has been fun. Lots of ups and downs for lots of teams. We've had 2 different guys that seemed like a lock for MVP at different times and now it looks like neither of them is going to win it.

The quality of play is down a bit because of 2020 BS, but that chaos in and of itself is interesting. The Broncos starting a practice squad WR at QB is just wild. I'll tell my kids about that. The Browns finding out on Saturday night that none of their WR's can play in week 16 of a playoff hunt...it's been crazy.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Not even remotely true; the main reason tackling sucks is too many guys don't actually wrap up and are still trying to go for the knock out hit. That's why you see guys fly in and hit a guy and it doesn't knock them down and they end up gaining 15 more yards or more. Or a guy like Henry just stiffarms them back.

And that's not an "NFL" problem, same crap happens on the college level. If guys would break down and wrap up there would be more tackling.

This constant bitching about how football has become is way more annoying than the actual changes.

I think the NFL needs to start to seriously considering a rule change in regards to the spot foul PI. If the game is going to be officiated so it favors the offense I think there needs to be some balance. Maybe not make it just a 15 yarder, but for passes over a certain yardage make it a 25 or 30 yard penalty.

I just wish they'd call PI equally against defenders and offensive players. I see WR's do stuff all the time where I'm like "that'd be a flag every time if the defender did that". It drives me nuts. Was it the Dolphins DB the other day who literally had his helmet ripped off after face-guarding....the face-guarding alone would have been called if it were the other way around.

I hate the chuck it up under thrown to draw the PI foul play. Works too often and is terrible football.
Exactly. It seems to happen on big drives at the end of games a lot too. Which is my biggest issue with it. Teams chuck stuff with no chance and dare the refs not to call it

I hate the chuck it up under thrown to draw the PI foul play. Works too often and is terrible football.

I'm split on that. It doesn't really happen unless the DB is getting beat, so it is earned to some degree, but it feels cheaper than having the QB make a good throw to drop it in for the completion.

The NFL has to cut down on its flags for sure. One point to start is "illegal formation". Who really understands all of that and what's wrong with "covering up the LT"? The offense should be allowed to put all their guys anywhere they want on their side of the line of scrimmage.

Yes, PI calls are a problem. I'd be fine with 15 yards but I also don't like the end zone calls that go on the 1. College puts it on the 2. I'd prefer the 5 yard line but the one is nuts.

I think QBs are allowed to ground the ball way too easily. Why should they be allowed to ground it if they're out of the pocket? They already can go down/slide and get protection

no fans at the games took away alot of the enjoyment and luster -- cant wait for this covid crap to end

The crappiest division and one team folds on purpose at the end. The epitome of the NFL.

VN Store

Back