Anyone else catch radio voices of college football

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
It was on the SEC channel last night hosted by Kenny Chesney. Awesomeness. Unbelievable the amount of love and enthusiasm John Ward made a game. Only fitting they won the National Championship on his way out . Never knew how good we had it having him and Bill Anderson call the games. I had season tickets 98 season one and only time I ever had them. Been to a ton of games just never had season tickets.

It was on the SEC channel last night hosted by Kenny Chesney. Awesomeness. Unbelievable the amount of love and enthusiasm John Ward made a game. Only fitting they won the National Championship on his way out . Never knew how good we had it having him and Bill Anderson call the games. I had season tickets 98 season one and only time I ever had them. Been to a ton of games just never had season tickets.
I taped it so I can see it again. It brought back a lotto memories since I have heard games broadcast by all of those included in the show. Next to Ward, Cawood Ledford was one of mu favorites. It was difficult to get WNOX at night where I lived, but I could get a more powerful station from Kentucky. I heard a lot of UK basketball. At that time, WLAC in Nashville did not carry Tennessee sports.

I saw it and loved it. I learned a lot about John Ward that I never knew. I can see why he is so beloved here and all over Vol Nation. Loved the “Willie Gault call,” I obviously didn’t love “no-sir-eeee” on the UF missed FG, but I must admit that was an awesome and unique call. I had seen “no-sir-eee” mentioned here over the years but had no idea what it was in reference to.

I think my favorite non-UF related call was Auburn’s
Rod Bramblett with “there goes Davis!” on Auburn’s Kick-six vs Bama. I get chills listening to that.

My personal Mick Hubert favorite was also featured “Doering’s got a touchdown!” Great show.

It was fantastic. John Ward was probably the most deeply covered. Mike Keith, Charles Davis and other VFL set it up nicely.

Davis’ post card story was very touching.

The story of the Auburn announcer (the same one who called Davis return) and the colleague who took over for him was very emotional.

Larry Munson also called games for the Nashville Vols minor league baseball team. You’d never know that. Munson was a homer, but he added personality to the SEC and probably encouraged others to follow his style a little bit. Not a bad thing.

Get some next year!!!!!!!!

It was fantastic. John Ward was probably the most deeply covered. Mike Keith, Charles Davis and other VFL set it up nicely.

Davis’ post card story was very touching.

He should be. Ward was outstanding calling games but he was best at basketball. No one close.

Jack Crystal at Miss st was great too. Every team in the SEC had great radio guys, just some were at the top.

Reactions: Tnphil
He should be. Ward was outstanding calling games but he was best at basketball. No one close.

Jack Crystal at Miss st was great too. Every team in the SEC had great radio guys, just some were at the top.
Cawood Ledford is also an all time great.

Ward was basically a Newsman that sold advertising for a living. His vocabulary and ability to set the scene was second to none. He wasn’t a fan first like Munson. But that’s what made the show great. Different teams with different announcers with their own styles. And all beloved. Once you got that job, you didn’t leave.

I saw it and loved it. I learned a lot about John Ward that I never knew. I can see why he is so beloved here and all over Vol Nation. Loved the “Willie Gault call,” I obviously didn’t love “no-sir-eeee” on the UF missed FG, but I must admit that was an awesome and unique call. I had seen “no-sir-eee” mentioned here over the years but had no idea what it was in reference to.

I think my favorite non-UF related call was Auburn’s
Rod Bramblett with “there goes Davis!” on Auburn’s Kick-six vs Bama. I get chills listening to that.

My personal Mick Hubert favorite was also featured “Doering’s got a touchdown!” Great show.
Brambletts's Kick Six call is also my favorite non-Tennessee call. "Auburn's gonna win the football game! Auburn’s gonna win the football game!"
Great stuff.

Larry Munson also called games for the Nashville Vols minor league baseball team. You’d never know that. Munson was a homer, but he added personality to the SEC and probably encouraged others to follow his style a little bit. Not a bad thing.
Used to go to old Vols games at Sulfur Dell with my grandparents. Munson also had a show on Nashville TV called Woods & Waters before he went to Ga. and became a Dawg

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
Used to go to old Vols games at Sulfur Dell with my grandparents. Munson also had a show on Nashville TV called Woods & Waters before he went to Ga. and became a Dawg
That’s where my dad remembered him. He used to say, “have a Coke and a smoke.”

For those of us who grew up in Nashville,Larry Munson was the play by play announcer for Vandy in football and basketball in the early to late 60's.Don't know he went to the dawgs.

VN Store

Back