Anyone but Vandy…

Arkansas and Vandy are WAY more obnoxious. MSU fans are excitable, but we don't act like we own baseball like Arkansas who thinks they're #1 but hasn't won a title yet. And Vandy.... who are reaping serious recruiting advantages.

I am from Nashville and played college baseball. This used to be the case, but the rules were changed/loosened in late 2019/2020. Those advantages (mixing athletic and academic aid) are now available to all schools across the country.

The real differentiator in the next few years will be who maximizes the new likeness-payment rules from our legal system that the NCAA fought so hard to stop.

NC State has players out due to Covid??? Like vandy didn’t have enough advantages already with the scholarships? Geez

Let’s see Fauchi has on vandi jersey and half the NC State gets tested positive for Covid. Must have advised Jesus Corbin how to win

I am from Nashville and played college baseball. This used to be the case, but the rules were changed/loosened in late 2019/2020. Those advantages (mixing athletic and academic aid) are now available to all schools across the country.

The real differentiator in the next few years will be who maximizes the new likeness-payment rules from our legal system that the NCAA fought so hard to stop.
That’s not what Vandy does, and they’re not doing anything illegal but thanks for playing. They just have the benefit of being an extremely small school with a pile of money.

That’s not what Vandy does, and they’re not doing anything illegal but thanks for playing. They just have the benefit of being an extremely small school with a pile of money.

Yes, it is. Starting this summer, every other school in the US can do this as well. Click the link or Google yourself to read more.

“Opportunity Vanderbilt” is now just an option in a sea of scholarships from every school.

Don't. Their baseball fanbase is just as obnoxious as Vandys or Arkansas. Pull for anyone but the two SEC teams.

MSU's fanbase is worse than Vandy's. They clank those damn cow bells and act like they are the shizz. Funny since they have not won a title in anything......EVER. F them go Texas.

Reactions: Mike Rapp
I have championed NIL, championed college baseball as a break even sport, and would be thrilled to have a conversation about what Pete Derkay, Liam Spence, Luc Lipcius etc… could have made during their time at UT, not to mention Monica Abbott or John Fulkerson to name but a few.

But tonight is not about that, or should I say this morning.

This is giving out a hall pass to the championship series. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have championed NIL, championed college baseball as a break even sport, and would be thrilled to have a conversation about what Pete Derkay, Liam Spence, Luc Lipcius etc… could have made during their time at UT, not to mention Monica Abbott or John Fulkerson to name but a few.

But tonight is not about that, or should I say this morning.

This is giving out a hall pass to the championship series. Nothing more, nothing less.

You can take the “like” back… help a guy out.

Reactions: MAD
Yes, it is. Starting this summer, every other school in the US can do this as well. Click the link or Google yourself to read more.

“Opportunity Vanderbilt” is now just an option in a sea of scholarships from every school.
Every school could’ve always offered full aid to every student, most schools just couldn’t afford it.

Every school could’ve always offered full aid to every student, most schools just couldn’t afford it.

I find it hard to believe that UT, every SEC school, and all other D1 programs won’t find a way to get all 35 on full aid by mixing the sources however is best.

At this point, it’s coaching malpractice to not do so. This rule also applies to other sports as well that don’t traditionally give full scholarships (really any sport outside bball and football).

I find it hard to believe that UT, every SEC school, and all other D1 programs won’t find a way to get all 35 on full aid by mixing the sources however is best.

At this point, it’s coaching malpractice to not do so. This rule also applies to other sports as well that don’t traditionally give full scholarships (really any sport outside bball and football).
In the past the only way to do it was to offer it to every common student that’s what Opportunity Vanderbilt does. Schools with student bodies of 30k + can’t feasibly meet the financial needs of all students. They’d be broke in a decade.

Reactions: feathersax and txbo
In the past the only way to do it was to offer it to every common student that’s what Opportunity Vanderbilt does. Schools with student bodies of 30k + can’t feasibly meet the financial needs of all students. They’d be broke in a decade.

The rules now say that any grant, scholarship (merit or discretionary), federal aid, etc. can be applied on top of athletic aid or by itself. It opens Pandora’s box for structuring a roster in a way to get as many of the kids on full rides as possible.

And yes, technically the schools have to offer aid to everyone, but coaches have pull, especially if it’s 5-10 guys who are in need. Federal aid is even more basic. Imagine maxing out the FAFSA and then supplementing with in-state grants and “leadership” scholarships.

At a high level, I’m saying that the options are now available. It’s up to the coaching staffs at each school to make it happen year after year.

They basically got it setup for them to win it all now. Leiter Monday and rocker Tuesday I’m sure that will be another ring for them.

Count me as a State fan for this week only. Even if I am for anyone else other than Vandy, the way Vandy got into the final will always leave a question mark in my mind. Covid or no Covid, Vandy may have beaten NC State. What NC State should have done doesn't matter now. This is where we are. Vandy may have followed the rules, such as those rules are, but they didn't actually win on the field. In my opinion, it is better for baseball to have an unquestioned champion than one that would have a question mark surrounding it. Mississippi State can win and claim the title. Except for Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt can win and there'll always be a question in many people's mind about the legitimacy of that title that was not won entirely on the field. After the series ends, the Vols will be back to where Vanderbilt and Mississippi State are primary teams to beat in the SEC on the road back to Omaha. In the future, I doubt there will be a decibel's difference in my support for the Vols over Mississippi State as it will be for the Vols over Vandy.

VN Store

Back