Any word on how the new NCAA player payment rules may affect the program?

HooahVol

In case anyone missed it the NCAA passed a rule yesterday that would allow athletes to cash in on their names, images and likenesses — and social media accounts — by January 2021. As far as I can tell it will be completely legal now for Ted Russell Ford here in Knoxville (random example) to pay one of our players to shoot a commercial for the dealership. The rule does state the University can play no role in assisting players to get paid but players can hire agents. It seems like this will favor schools in larger markets as their will be more businesses looking to benefit from the association. Actually, a city the size of Knoxville may be just about perfect. Enough businesses to give the kids plenty of money but not so big that professional sports are more important like in Nashville.

Also, I am unsure how the addition of social media accounts plays into this. I do not even pretend to understand the role of social influencers but it seems like the more people view your Tiktok or YouTube post the more money you make. I hope our athletes do not spend all their time trying to create online content versus learning plays.

Reactions: Sara Clark
In case anyone missed it the NCAA passed a rule yesterday that would allow athletes to cash in on their names, images and likenesses — and social media accounts — by January 2021. As far as I can tell it will be completely legal now for Ted Russell Ford here in Knoxville (random example) to pay one of our players to shoot a commercial for the dealership. The rule does state the University can play no role in assisting players to get paid but players can hire agents. It seems like this will favor schools in larger markets as their will be more businesses looking to benefit from the association. Actually, a city the size of Knoxville may be just about perfect. Enough businesses to give the kids plenty of money but not so big that professional sports are more important like in Nashville.

Also, I am unsure how the addition of social media accounts plays into this. I do not even pretend to understand the role of social influencers but it seems like the more people view your Tiktok or YouTube post the more money you make. I hope our athletes do not spend all their time trying to create online content versus learning plays.
This is going to have a very negative impact on the game, sad really.

Special Ed: "I'm hoping the ncaa will someday allow fans to cash"

Vol fans are special people and possibly should get reparations due to bungling of past admins😀😁

I heard JG got his first endorsement:

51tdozuM6ZL._PIbundle-144,TopRight,0,0_AA500SH20_.jpg

I’m with you. But not in the way you might think...

For the Trey Smith, Henry T, and those types of guys, it’ll be a good thing. But how many softball, soccer, rowing, etc-type people do you think will get endorsement deals? Doesn’t this throw the whole equality thing out the window? How does this affect Title 9? Won’t this even further cement the importance of football and basketball, and push the other sports further into the shadows?

In the grand scheme, you’re going to see a small handful raking in money, and probably not even that much...many heavy-spend advertisers are going to be reluctant to spend a lot of money on endorsements from people with unproven character (see: Jared Fogle).

Watch and see. This will cause problems that nobody has thought of yet.

But yes, Cody, at least you get your NCAA football game back. Wow.

It is good for athletes. Schools make millions off these kids so its fair they get to use their name and image. It will however hurt a lot of mid-tier programs with smaller fan base. A lot of kids will want to go to programs where fan-base is bigger and they can cash in, in my opinion.

A lets just say:::
A running back hits it really big. He runs for 6-10 yards every time he gets the ball. Many times goes all the way (after some really good downfield blocks). He "blows his own horn" in areas where the money can roll in. How long before some "buried" lineman gets enough and by accident starts to miss a block now and then? OR a QB over does his "I'm the greatest" and has a receiver misses one now and then that he may have been able to "stretch" and catch. (or turn this example around and QB just can't find a receiver and looks elsewhere).
Now lets say one of these "money makers" understands just how he is getting there and starts to share the wealth with his supporters, would this be a NCAA violation? As in paying players? I can see this turning into a real can of worms. Something as trivial as a back taking lineman out to a supper -- bad, bad, bad.... Something like a bar-b-que for a recruit, hummmmmm.

does this mean we're soon to see Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens type characters in college football?

i hope not

It is good for athletes. Schools make millions off these kids so its fair they get to use their name and image. It will however hurt a lot of mid-tier programs with smaller fan base. A lot of kids will want to go to programs where fan-base is bigger and they can cash in, in my opinion.
What you are saying is something like "some play for fun and some play for mon-ey". This can/will become a very segregating problem. The only hope is that the will to win can overcome the gap in reason to play.

The part that players may have agents for this scares me the most. Teams with lucrative name and image infrastructures will get all the best players. At least the way it is now, high bidder usually gets the recruit.

Is there a cap on the amount allowed?

I remember when this first went through, it was said that the cap would be the average wage of a working student in college. Not sure how they would go about getting that average...but I distinctly remember that being part of the equation.

Yes it looks like Oregon will have the top rated class for the next 20 years straight, all 5 star players.

Is there a cap on the amount allowed?

I remember when this first went through, it was said that the cap would be the average wage of a working student in college. Not sure how they would go about getting that average...but I distinctly remember that being part of the equation.
No way the NCAA, IRS or anyone else can enforce a cap on how much a player makes. A minimum cap will be set for players and agents to pay tax on. Just as it is now, the majority of payments will be cash.

Reactions: Sara Clark
How much value does the long snapper or third team offensive guard signature and likeness have? Would you buy a jersey/helmet autographed by them? The stars of the teams might have a market value, regular players not so much. This will cause dissention on the teams. And it will be controlled by agents, not coaches.

The NCAA (colleges together) are still in the denial phase. As I probably mentioned in the Around the NCAA board probably 3-5 years ago, eventually all of this will collapse. Very good article about the current state of things from Jay Bilas who has been speaking out on this for a few years now.

What they are trying to do now is regulate that which they really have no ability to regulate.

NCAA stance on name, image and likeness amounts to lip service, half-measure
NCAA stance on name, image and likeness amounts to lip service, half-measure

I’m with you. But not in the way you might think...

For the Trey Smith, Henry T, and those types of guys, it’ll be a good thing. But how many softball, soccer, rowing, etc-type people do you think will get endorsement deals? Doesn’t this throw the whole equality thing out the window? How does this affect Title 9? Won’t this even further cement the importance of football and basketball, and push the other sports further into the shadows?

In the grand scheme, you’re going to see a small handful raking in money, and probably not even that much...many heavy-spend advertisers are going to be reluctant to spend a lot of money on endorsements from people with unproven character (see: Jared Fogle).

Watch and see. This will cause problems that nobody has thought of yet.

But yes, Cody, at least you get your NCAA football game back. Wow.
For those non revenue sports it will be style over substance. Most obvious example is Anna Kournikova (not that I was complaining).

Though to some extent I think it will balance out over time.UT is kind of in a win-win situation. Even though it's not a big market VOLNation is fervent and one of the biggest active fanbases.If you see someone in UT orange they are more likely to actually be a fan than not. See someone in a Bama shirt they are 50/50 bandwagon. not saying they are not good/great fanbases just saying the end of the day I think initially it will cause a big problem in recruiting and give P5 schools and big market schools a huge advantage. But, over time, I think it balances out and it will also enable a lot of guys to stay their senior years.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
I think it will be beneficial at all schools. Even the small schools have players everyone knows around town. While they won't be making the kind of money the star QB at Texas will, they will get local marketing. A lot of times, these small schools get local high school legends that will make money off of being that. I think it's going to be ok.

Sounds like a great way to make college athletes pay taxes on the money from the bag men. Some will get paid more than others, but I expect all student athletes to get a raise.

VN Store

Back