Any JJ McCleskey updates?

Huntsville Vol

Any news on JJ being hired on? Yall think it might happen? I hear he would be vital to instate recruiting. Dont know about his coaching ability.

Its not happening

Ok I have no clue as my insider for info retired from the UT AD office recently but hoping my reverse psychology works & he is hired

Reactions: Catbone
The events surrounding Volunteer Football this year have convinced me that I know nothing about what is/has/will happen with the Vols. No sources. No nothing. But after living through all this, and including a hospital bout with Sepsis, and Covid 19, I am praying for a "return to normalcy." And that includes the Vols. GBO.

It would be a nice JJ coach. Don't know anything about the situation,but,however it turns out is good with me.Still would like to see.JJ back in orange.

J.J. McCleskey arrived at Tennessee in 1988 as an undersized walk-on from Knoxville’s Karns High School. He developed into a regular contributor on offense, defense and special teams for the Vols. Whether or not he returns, JJ was all Vol. Played 7 seasons in NFL.

Attachments

• JJ McCleskey.jpg
    JJ McCleskey.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 2
J.J. McCleskey arrived at Tennessee in 1988 as an undersized walk-on from Knoxville’s Karns High School. He developed into a regular contributor on offense, defense and special teams for the Vols. Whether or not he returns, JJ was all Vol. Played 7 seasons in NFL.

Does he have any eligibility left? COVID add a year to it?

Wondering when the locals or former players for that matter were going to advocate for JJ. With that said, JJ may be comfortable where he is at in life and professionally. Great Tennessee story of a local kid being a walk-on and becoming a captain.

Reactions: feathersax
He was Johnny Majors favorite UT player of all time I've heard from numerous insiders

Grew up down the street from him and loved watching him play. Would be a heck of a story for a kid who used to complain about others being too rough in the backyard games

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
I played little league baseball with JJ. JJ, myself and this guy named Edward (we called him big E, this was back in the Elvin Hayes Washington Bullets days) were the only 3 black guys in the Sequoyah Hills little league back in those days, not even sure if the league still exist, had a coach name House, (Lawrence House I believe) and a man named Vance Link ran the league. JJ played the hot corner (3rd base), nothing got passed him, great glove, and his throws across the mound weren't always on target, but I played 1st base, and dug a lot of those out of the dirt to get the out. JJ was a tough customer even back in the 5th and 6th grade, great teammate, it would be nice if he came back, but timing and the right fit is everything, I'm sure he'll be back when the time is right.

Last edited:
I played little league baseball with JJ. JJ, myself and this guy named Edward (we called him big E, this was back in the Elvin Hayes Washington Bullets days) were the only 3 black guys in the Sequoyah Hills little league back in those days, not even sure if the league still exist, had a coach name House, (Lawrence House I believe) and a man named Vance Link ran the league. JJ played the hot corner (3rd base), nothing got passed him, great glove, and his throws across the mound weren't always on target, but I played 1st base, and dug a lot of those out of the dirt to get the out. JJ was a tough customer even back in the 5th and 6th grade, great teammate, it would be nice if he came back, but timing and the right fit is everything, I'm sure he'll be back when the time is right.
I assumed JJ's life was pretty firmly established in Louisiana now. Is any of his family still around Knoxville? If so, it would be the ones fairly far up in age at this point. I'm just not sure there is any attraction to Knoxville for JJ at this time. He is a great guy, and an acquaintance back in the day.

VN Store

Back