Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

Didn’t even realize until I just now read it somewhere, but if the goal line technology had given Sheffield United that goal against Villa in the very first game after the restart, Villa would have been relegated today on goal differential. Obviously you can’t possibly say things play out the same from that moment on if the goal were given, but that’s still got to be a brutal pill to swallow if you’re Bournemouth.

Excited to see what Chelsea's attack looks like next year with the addition of Timo Verner and Hakim Ziyech. Possibly adding Kai Havertz. Really need another CB though

welp Aston survives. My blues need some serious rebuilding. Hats off to Leighton Banes officially retiring. Blue 4 life
In his prime he was probably one of, if not the best, left backs in England. I was lucky enough to be at Goodison the night he scored the final goal of his career. Fantastic strike from outside the box. Too bad Everton promptly lost the penalty shootout that followed.

Reactions: theFallGuy
Excited to see what Chelsea's attack looks like next year with the addition of Timo Verner and Hakim Ziyech. Possibly adding Kai Havertz. Really need another CB though
Need help on the defensive end and Kepa needs to go (its going to be hard to get rid of him)

I wish they would air the Scottish teams more
I still don't understand why Rangers didn't join the EFL at League 2 and work their way up instead of reentering the Scottish Premiership. They could easily be a championship league club and it would probably force Celtic to follow suit.

I still don't understand why Rangers didn't join the EFL at League 2 and work their way up instead of reentering the Scottish Premiership. They could easily be a championship league club and it would probably force Celtic to follow suit.
They worked their way back into the top flight in Scotland within just a couple years, and are now essentially guaranteed at least Europa League qualification every single season. That’s not a realistic expectation for them in the English pyramid. Hell, even Arsenal had to win the FA Cup to qualify this year. Not sure why Rangers becoming a Championship club in England would compel Celtic to want to walk away from the Champions League.

That said, I have seen a few people float the idea of adding a little intrigue to the League Cup by allowing the Scottish teams to play as well. That would kind of interesting.

They worked their way back into the top flight in Scotland within just a couple years, and are now essentially guaranteed at least Europa League qualification every single season. That’s not a realistic expectation for them in the English pyramid. Hell, even Arsenal had to win the FA Cup to qualify this year. Not sure why Rangers becoming a Championship club in England would compel Celtic to want to walk away from the Champions League.

That said, I have seen a few people float the idea of adding a little intrigue to the League Cup by allowing the Scottish teams to play as well. That would kind of interesting.
I think if Rangers permanently left, SPL's coefficient ranking would drop to the point that SPL would not get an auto-bid to Champions. Seems like not too long ago that was the case. I guess it's a gamble to leave and think Rangers could replicate the success of Swansea or Cardiff City, and it's not like Celtic fans will switch to Rangers just for EPL success. So you're right, there's not much upside. But I'd still like to see a Scottish team in the EPL someday.

FWIW, my ancestors came from around Aberfeldy, to which Perth is the nearest town. We support (meaning own some scarves and check the table every now and again) St. Johnstone Saint.

VN Store

Back