Any History Buffs?

XknoxvolsX

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
I rented Lost City of Z again last night. It had been a couple of years since I watched it. Additionally, I am a huge fan of the older version of the History Channel. However, I found it interesting that it was based upon a true story. The last time I watched it years ago, I googled what I could about it. I have found documentaries on Youtube related to it and the Amazon Regions.

I just find it interesting.

I rented Lost City of Z again last night. It had been a couple of years since I watched it. Additionally, I am a huge fan of the older version of the History Channel. However, I found it interesting that it was based upon a true story. The last time I watched it years ago, I googled what I could about it. I have found documentaries on Youtube related to it and the Amazon Regions.

I just find it interesting.
I loved the history channel before they went to garbage reality shows.

Roman Navy, Spartans, Lord Nelson, Revolutionary War, Barbary Wars, War of 1812, Civil War, Sherman, Lee, Grant, JEB Stuart, Jutland, WW2 (mainly the naval side), wolfpacks, Pacific theatre, Japan, not so much Korea, but Vietnam, Khe Sanh (my Father-in-Law was on Hill 861A), Desert Storm, 73 Easting...to name a few.

Upper management thinks I'm a closet conspiracy theorist because I think the Soviets sank the Scorpion; and the early generation of the Deep State is responsible for JFK, RFK, and MLK. I won't even get into the Clinton Body Count.

But I would suggest "Best Evidence" by Lifton as a good place to start.

;)

The timing of Scorpion's disappearance definitely raises eyebrows considering what she was up to in the days preceding....far from a naval expert but if there had been a critical mechanical issue wouldn't they have broken radio silence?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
The timing of Scorpion's disappearance definitely raises eyebrows considering what she was up to in the days preceding....far from a naval expert but if there had been a critical mechanical issue wouldn't they have broken radio silence?

I have read a number of books, and a slew of online articles concerning her loss. I am also a retired submariner. I have a copy of the redacted and unclassified version of the board of inquiries final report on her loss. Even though they said the cause of her loss could not be conclusively determined, there is one sub paragraph in that report which says “the most likely cause of the loss of the Scorpion was the detonation of a large charge weight external to the pressure hull.”

So the only question is… Who’s external charge was it?

Personally, I think Kenneth Sewell nailed it in his book.

EDIT: Had the author wrong. I think Offley said it was a Soviet sub. It was not. Google Soviet Admiral Peter Navojtsev. What he said to U.S. Navy Captain Peter Huchthausen all but confirms Soviet involvement. Remember...this was 1968. John Walker was already delivering our submarine crypto codes to the Soviets by then.

Last edited:
Trivia Question: Anybody remember (no Google, Honest John policy here) the name of the Soviet sub commander who personally averted WW3?

Hint: He commanded the B-61 during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I know it and can't recall

FYI, I didn't look to confirm the spelling, but I already knew about this: Vitaly / Visili Arkhipov (?). He was the Commanding Officer of the Soviet (forget the class) submarine B-61. They were off the coast of Cuba during the CMC, and had been pinned down (sonar) by a U.S. Destroyer for over 24 hours. They had no way to alert Moscow to their predicament, or receive comms from same. Running critically low on battery power and oxygen, the Political Officer and (I think) Squadron Commander who was embarked voted to fire their nuclear-tipped torpedo, as they had been given orders before departing that if they lost comms with Moscow, they were to assume war had broken out.

Arkhipov refused. He returned to the USSR initially in disgrace, but years later was actually recognized for his courage and cool head under extreme pressure. I think he ended up as an Admiral and a HOSU recipient, but again...I played fair and am going off of memory.

Now you can Google it and clean up any mistakes I made.

My guess would be that maybe 1 in 100,000 Americans know this obscure...but very important...fact.

Vietnam, Khe Sanh (my Father-in-Law was on Hill 861A)

;)
I flew the Khe Sanh AO a lot in 1970 when it was abandoned. Knowing the history, it was always spooky knowing thousands of eyes were watching our movements supporting LLRP and SOG teams. Bless your F.I.L., awful area.

I flew the Khe Sanh AO a lot in 1970 when it was abandoned. Knowing the history, it was always spooky knowing thousands of eyes were watching our movements supporting LLRP and SOG teams. Bless your F.I.L., awful area.

His stories about those days will make you cry. Trust me.

Roman Navy, Spartans, Lord Nelson, Revolutionary War, Barbary Wars, War of 1812, Civil War, Sherman, Lee, Grant, JEB Stuart, Jutland, WW2 (mainly the naval side), wolfpacks, Pacific theatre, Japan, not so much Korea, but Vietnam, Khe Sanh (my Father-in-Law was on Hill 861A), Desert Storm, 73 Easting...to name a few.

Upper management thinks I'm a closet conspiracy theorist because I think the Soviets sank the Scorpion; and the early generation of the Deep State is responsible for JFK, RFK, and MLK. I won't even get into the Clinton Body Count.

But I would suggest "Best Evidence" by Lifton as a good place to start.

;)

I have been reading about Vietnam and Laos lately. Have read about Vietnam before. Also, have read about the lost Legion a while back. The ancient Chinese has me fascinated. Also, it is very interesting how most of the native American Indians can be traced back to the Alaskan Eskimos.

My latest fixation has been the 7 years war, both in North America and Europe. Pretty fascinating time, especially as I have ancestors on both sides of the French and Indian War.

Good Vietnam read here

Patton's Boys: The All-Volunteer Soldiers of the Aero Rifle Platoon

I've come to know several of the contributors fairly well, they had an exemplary combat record and the authors (both Vets) wanted to get a collection of stories to preserve them for the future.

Reading about the history of the United States from about the time of the Nullification Crisis until the beginning of the Civil War has been fascinating to me for a long time. Just as interesting, if not more interesting, than the war itself. In particular the Nullification Crisis, Missouri Compromise, Compromise of 1850, and Bleeding Kansas. Has led me to believe that the cause of the Civil War wasn't the concept of slavery itself per se, but how slavery was going to be allowed to expand westward. If Manifest Destiny was never a "thing" for whatever reason, a Civil War probably never occurs, and slavery would have ended at some future date on its own like it did in other countries.

The direction the country was heading in for decades and the attempts to head it off over an extended period were just wild. I think Shelby Foote said once that you cannot have a real understanding of the United States, even in its contemporary form, without an understanding of the Civil War and what led to it. I really think the Civil War had more of an impact on the character/culture of the United States than the Revolution itself, WWII, or any other event.

Reading about the history of the United States from about the time of the Nullification Crisis until the beginning of the Civil War has been fascinating to me for a long time. Just as interesting, if not more interesting, than the war itself. In particular the Nullification Crisis, Missouri Compromise, Compromise of 1850, and Bleeding Kansas. Has led me to believe that the cause of the Civil War wasn't the concept of slavery itself per se, but how slavery was going to be allowed to expand westward. If Manifest Destiny was never a "thing" for whatever reason, a Civil War probably never occurs, and slavery would have ended at some future date on its own like it did in other countries.

The direction the country was heading in for decades and the attempts to head it off over an extended period were just wild. I think Shelby Foote said once that you cannot have a real understanding of the United States, even in its contemporary form, without an understanding of the Civil War and what led to it. I really think the Civil War had more of an impact on the character/culture of the United States than the Revolution itself, WWII, or any other event.
The 3/5 compromise was never going to be a long term solution, you can argue that the groundwork for the ACW was laid there...and the Hartford Convention. I think had Jackson not won at New Orleans the country may have fractured (relatively) peacefully at that point.

From then on the various compromises were akin to pouring peroxide on a bone deep wound from a shlt eating dog.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I am amazed at some of the intellect on this board. Seriously, many times I am humbled to discover that while I think I have learned a lot about history, guns, politics, beer, how to cook the perfect medium-rare steak, whatever...I read through related posts and find out that I am just barely educated and experienced enough to qualify as an "honorable mention".

I really, really enjoy VN.

Would one of you mind picking my lottery numbers for me from now on? I'm tired of paying for college scholarships for total strangers.

:cool:

The 3/5 compromise was never going to be a long term solution, you can argue that the groundwork for the ACW was laid there...and the Hartford Convention. I think had Jackson not won at New Orleans the country may have fractured (relatively) peacefully at that point.

From then on the various compromises were akin to pouring peroxide on a bone deep wound from a shlt eating dog.
Yes, the seeds for the Civil War absolutely came from The Constitution itself.

Speaking of the Civil War one of my absolute favorite reads of all time is Co.Aytch

Not a book on history but more of a memoir, 1st hand account of a soldier from the first Tennessee regiment. It's highly embellished I suspect but well written and serves as a good collection of 1st hand accounts of all aspects of war and life as soldier. I highly recommend it.

Speaking of the Civil War one of my absolute favorite reads of all time is Co.Aytch

Not a book on history but more of a memoir, 1st hand account of a soldier from the first Tennessee regiment. It's highly embellished I suspect but well written and serves as a good collection of 1st hand accounts of all aspects of war and life as soldier. I highly recommend it.

At The Right Hand of Longstreet is great and in this same vein. Sorrel wasn't writing with an agenda, just strung together a bunch of stories from his time as Longstreet's Chief of Staff.

It really comes across as listening to an old timer shooting the breeze at a breakfast counter, I would recommend it.

Glad to find this thread. More of an east European/Russian/Soviet/Chinese history fan. And while I appreciate the strategy behind policy, I don’t spend much time on military history, tactics, etc. Definitely enjoy cultural influences - literature, philosophy, religion, etc.

VN Store

Back