Ansley and staff met with The Chief

You’re exactly right. Both of those bad teams at the end of Fulmer’s tenure had terrible offenses but good defenses; especially 2005.
05' was a very good defense.

The offense had talent it was just a dumpster fire.

05' was a very good defense.

The offense had talent it was just a dumpster fire.
I’ve always thought there had to be more going on with that team than met the eye. Didn’t make sense to drop from 10 wins to 5 and then immediately go back to 9-10 wins again.

He's in a rare spot in his career for sure. Will have the opportunity to coach again if he wants, but has enough and done enough that he can be very, very selective where and how he coaches (I could see him being one of those rare coordinators that doesn't really do any on the road recruiting).

Also, is it just me or does Chief look like he could throw on a whistle and give the squad way more than they ever asked for in a practice right now...at 63 dude still looks like he could bite nails in two.
Glad to see John back around the program. To the haters I say he was DC for SEC teams a very long time and made a lot of money doing it. He forgot more about defense than most his detractors will ever know. Your cute sayings are not cool, they show your level of knowledge about football.
When he played at UT, I heard it said by more than one person that he was the toughest man they had ever met.

You’re exactly right. Both of those bad teams at the end of Fulmer’s tenure had terrible offenses but good defenses; especially 2005.
You beat me to the quote. That’s my thoughts exactly. Our defense was so good in 05. If only we’d had our 06 offense to match our 05 defense.

There towards the end of Fulmer era, it felt like all we had were good defenses and no offensive support at all. Felt like we averaged 14-17points on offense. May be misremembering though

Fulmer wasted a great defense in 2005 and a very good defense in 2008.

Not to the same degree that Chavis is, no.

IMO, Chavis's defenses only excelled when he had exceptional (not just very good, but exceptional) talent on the field, particularly at CB and LB. If your defense is always going to be less than the sum of its parts, which I think Chavis's defenses were, then by definition you need incredible parts in order for the sum to be high. If your parts are simply good, or just pretty good, but you're less than the sum of your parts, then your defense is going to be just OK.

I've always thought that one characteristic all great coaches have is that they get at least a little more out of their teams than what their ability on paper would indicate. Even coaches that always have elite talent, like Saban, do this. Having incredible talent as consistently as Saban does doesn't necessarily mean he should be winning a national title every other year, but that's on average what he's done at Alabama. He takes awesome, national title-level talent and wins with it even more consistently than it seems like he "should."

I never really thought Chavis (or Fulmer, for that matter) did that.
You are right for the most part, but when u look at the top defenses around the country they all have elite talent. This is why they all recruit elite players. If u dnt have elite players on defense, u are in serious trouble in the SEC. With that being said coaching does matter with or without elite talent.

Reactions: wlkx
Glad to see John back around the program. To the haters I say he was DC for SEC teams a very long time and made a lot of money doing it. He forgot more about defense than most his detractors will ever know. Your cute sayings are not cool, they show your level of knowledge about football.
When he played at UT, I heard it said by more than one person that he was the toughest man they had ever met.
First, agree it is great seeing one of UTs finest still around and being engaged in some fashion with the program.

Second, you should not judge my knowledge of the sport based on how I speak. Especially since right after your comment you shore up my 'comment' with your proposed 'I know a guy that knows the guy' type comment... those are pretty lame too.

In before "3rd and Cha".........nevermind.....I cannot do that. I loved Chavis.

ChavisUT_t600.jpg

Chavis had some fast defenses, and the LB’s were usually thumpers. His defenses were usually ranked pretty high nationally. When the defense played aggressively they played well, which was most of the time. They struggled in prevent or tentative play, as most teams do. His players played hard for him, and seemed to like him. He had good players and that’s the most important thing no matter who the coach is. Jimmys and Joes beat X’s and O’s all day long.

I hold Chavis responsible for the Spurrier Dominance and the "Hobnail boot" . If you can't get pressure with 3 or 4 ; you need to Blitz a LB Or Corner. Chavis let Green pass them all the way down the field; when that game was won. I remember Johnny Majors said the Chavis "Saved Fulmer's Bacon", and he did quite a bit; but never did evolve against the new spread offenses. It could be that Chavis was a great teaching & game planning DC, but not as adept at in game. JMO. Glad that John made some real Money at the last; He is set. I do remember too well; UT holding opponents to Many 3rd and Longs; only to give up 15 and a first down! Sad.

First, agree it is great seeing one of UTs finest still around and being engaged in some fashion with the program.

Second, you should not judge my knowledge of the sport based on how I speak. Especially since right after your comment you shore up my 'comment' with your proposed 'I know a guy that knows the guy' type comment... those are pretty lame too.
I am sorry, I was not including you as a hater or questioning your knowledge. That part of my post was directed at the parrots not you. I made a mistake replying to your post instead of the parrots. Please accept my apology.

One was an assistant coach, one a quad mate , another a player. I do not name names since I can not accurately quote conversations from that long ago.

I hope we part as Big Orange friends in agreement that John is a true VFL.

I am sorry, I was not including you as a hater or questioning your knowledge. That part of my post was directed at the parrots not you. I made a mistake replying to your post instead of the parrots. Please accept my apology.

One was an assistant coach, one a quad mate , another a player. I do not name names since I can not accurately quote conversations from that long ago.

I’m glad you cleared that up TNU. I was almost going to ask what Indianavol vol said that warranted that response but wasn’t my conversation to butt into so I refrained . I was very confused for a minute there😁

It's all good my friend. I read your post in the midst of taking a break from a crazy, draining, frustrating day at work...I'm guilty of firing my hostility at the first target so to speak...my deepest and most sincere apologies.

Wow, you do know some guys. What an honor it must've to be that closely connected!!!

LOL on the conversations that long ago...we are definitely in the same boat there 😂

That is a glorious fro!!!! And check the stache and sideburns!

There is so much raw masculinity contained in this pic my wife got pregnant just from a quick glance.
got a name picked out yet? I for one think “McChief” has a nice wring to it although you might face heat from THE Irish and THE Native America for racial appropriations.

I hope he didn't teach Ansley his plan on defense when barely having a lead late in the half or game....

Last edited:
Dougvol,Holtz could pronounce Chavis's name.any which way he wanted.to;but the fact is,Holtz record against UT and Chavis is 0 wins ever!
Even in the “glory years “ when Holtz did an admirable yet not quite good enough job of turning USc into a competitive team He never could get them over the hump & beat UT. I will very slightly nitpick the Holtz 0 wins against TN& Chavis. You are technically correct that Lou Holtz -vs- TN and a CJC LED defense had 0 wins but he did record a W in ‘89 as ND HC against a TN team where Chavis served as the LB coach.

Edit-
lol.... just used my google machine to look up a few things about Holtz and couldn’t help but laugh when I saw that during his playing career he was a linebacker !

He's in a rare spot in his career for sure. Will have the opportunity to coach again if he wants, but has enough and done enough that he can be very, very selective where and how he coaches (I could see him being one of those rare coordinators that doesn't really do any on the road recruiting).

Also, is it just me or does Chief look like he could throw on a whistle and give the squad way more than they ever asked for in a practice right now...at 63 dude still looks like he could bite nails in two.

Ansley must be confident. At least I hope. It'd be intimidating for many young coordinators to host a legend at the same job who's alma mater is here as well as his longest tenure and pinnacle of success. All while being recently unemployed.

Reactions: savannahfan
I hold Chavis responsible for the Spurrier Dominance and the "Hobnail boot" . If you can't get pressure with 3 or 4 ; you need to Blitz a LB Or Corner. Chavis let Green pass them all the way down the field; when that game was won. I remember Johnny Majors said the Chavis "Saved Fulmer's Bacon", and he did quite a bit; but never did evolve against the new spread offenses. It could be that Chavis was a great teaching & game planning DC, but not as adept at in game. JMO. Glad that John made some real Money at the last; He is set. I do remember too well; UT holding opponents to Many 3rd and Longs; only to give up 15 and a first down! Sad.

One of the better performances I've seen from a Chavis defense was when he was at LSU and they played Oregon in Jerry World Dallas/Irvine.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
At 63 years old, I wonder if his coaching days are over after not being retained by Arkansas. It's good to see him back around the program, though.

I thought the same thing actually. He was a pretty hot commodity when he left LSU and went to T A&M, but it seems the bloom has fallen off that rose.

VN Store

Back