Another factor?

airvols

Will UCLA going after Rick Barnes change the thought process of The Athletic Director? $$$$

I could be wrong, but Rick Barnes doesn’t seem at all like a Los Angeles kind of man to me. The impression I get of him as a person makes me think that the Knoxville area is the perfect place for him — especially at this point in his life/career. I’m not the least bit worried that he’ll leave.

But to your point, if Phil IS worried about it, I could see the possibility of that entering his thought process regarding the women’s coach. I did hear a couple of months ago, though, that Fulmer was going to be willing to cough up the big bucks for the next LV coach, so he may be willing to do that no matter what.

We’ll soon find out!

I could be wrong, but Rick Barnes doesn’t seem at all like a Los Angeles kind of man to me. The impression I get of him as a person makes me think that the Knoxville area is the perfect place for him — especially at this point in his life/career. I’m not the least bit worried that he’ll leave.

But to your point, if Phil IS worried about it, I could see the possibility of that entering his thought process regarding the women’s coach. I did hear a couple of months ago, though, that Fulmer was going to be willing to cough up the big bucks for the next LV coach, so he may be willing to do that no matter what.

We’ll soon find out!
Agreed-Barnes doesn't seem to be a fit in LA, but if it happens Fulmer will definitely be earning his paycheck finding replacements for football, women's basketball and now possibly men's basketball!

UCLA was willing to throw Cal more than a million less than he made at UK and they got ridiculed. I'm hearing they are willing to go over $5MM to save face with Barnes
If Rick Barnes leaves for UCLA I think it's there's a 100% chance Phil Fulmer hires Kellie Jolly Harper as Tennessee women's basketball head coach

Last edited:
Reactions: sccshortstop
UCLA was willing to throw Cal more than a million less than he made at UK and they got ridiculed. I'm hearing they are willing to go over $5MM to save face with Barnes

You think they’ll offer Barnes more than they did Calipari? I can’t see that

Reactions: cutiepie5
You think they’ll offer Barnes more than they did Calipari? I can’t see that

They offered Cal $48MM over 6 years ($8MM a year). Barnes would be over $5mm a year (which is 2-3mm less per year than Cal). Guerrero, the UCLA AD, is fighting for his job so he needs a big splash here.....

Reactions: Evol
UCLA was willing to throw major bucks at Calipari.
I don't think he walks for cash...think we've got deep enough pockets to keep, unless there's something else not jiving. Would be real surprised to see him leave. To me, he's got these kids vested in him, and knows he's got another probably 5-7 years coaching, so why not end in legacy as opposed to job hopping. It would be a big blow for us, but he seems like such the essence of UT right now, turning us into a "basketball school"...he's the king of the castle with no close rivals on campus.

If Barnes goes to UCLA, Fulmer should hire Dane Bradshaw as the new men's basketball coach.

He doesn't have any coaching experience, but neither does Kara Lawson.
Fulmer...
hqdefault.jpg

Let's just get in the ball park. To be clear, Barnes isn't the bad guy for listening to UCLA, hearing them out, and going back to Phil. Maybe it's the New York in me, but he owes us nothing compared to what he owes his family. He has a financial obligation to his wife, kids, grand kids ect to hear UCLA out and get every penny that he's worth from Tennessee.

With the 12.3 % difference in state tax in CA alone, Tennessee just has to get in the ball park and he's going nowhere. If he leaves, a big part of that will either be the stubbornness of our brass or we have an exceptional succession plan. I don't believe either of those things are true.

Let's just get in the ball park. To be clear, Barnes isn't the bad guy for listening to UCLA, hearing them out, and going back to Phil. Maybe it's the New York in me, but he owes us nothing compared to what he owes his family. He has a financial obligation to his wife, kids, grand kids ect to hear UCLA out and get every penny that he's worth from Tennessee.

With the 12.3 % difference in state tax in CA alone, Tennessee just has to get in the ball park and he's going nowhere. If he leaves, a big part of that will either be the stubbornness of our brass or we have an exceptional succession plan. I don't believe either of those things are true.

UCLA’s place in men’s basketball history makes it an honor to even be asked to interview for their coaching job, so, of COURSE Barnes should respect the honor and talk with them if he’s asked.

But would he, at this point in his life, want to move to a place like Los Angeles? Would he want to be saddled with even MORE pressure than he has on him at Tennessee? Would he be able to still wear the burnt orange tie that he’s now worn since 1998?

My guess is NO to all three! :)

Barnes to UCLA would be the Worst Hire in UCLA History...………….of which UCLA has made many. Lots of money...……..NO Sense.

This was originally about the women’s hire not what coach Barnes does. Will Phil have the budget to hire a proven coach now, or will he settle for an up and comer because of financial considerations.

This was originally about the women’s hire not what coach Barnes does. Will Phil have the budget to hire a proven coach now, or will he settle for an up and comer because of financial considerations.
I think Phil Fulmer will work with a budget and hire either Kellie Jolly Harper,Tina Langely or Kara Lawson

VN Store

Back