Another Coach tanks at ND

GAVol

Overrated
Staff member
Just heard that Ty Willingham is resigning this afternoon.

That noise you heard was the sound of the Florida President and AD crapping in their shorts at the thought of screwing the pooch on Spurrier and now losing Urban Meyer to the Irish . . .

:eek:lol:

Ty is resigning because he HAS done that bad of a job at ND. The fanship standards for successthere is much higher than our 9-2 standard that everyone on the VN seems to be happy with. They also, unlike the VN, don't understand "rebuilding" years.

Back to back bad seasons will get you in a lot of trouble in South Bend. Plus getting beat up by USC two years in a row, losing to BYU and Boston College - the program has really stagnated.

On top of all of that, I heard that his family didn't like living in South Bend, so the feeling may have been mutual.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Nov 30, 2004 1:45 PM
Ty is resigning because he HAS done that bad of a job at ND. The fanship standards for successthere is much higher than our 9-2 standard that everyone on the VN seems to be happy with. They also, unlike the VN, don't understand "rebuilding" years.

:rolleyes:

Don - I'm sure Touchdown Jesus is awaiting your phone call. :D

It'll be interesting to see how all this along with Butch Davis being available impacts the Florida situation.

The student body is having a protest today at Notre Dame and is demanding that the football program be elevated back to its once prestigious spot among the football elite (according to espn radio).

Florida has to go after Butch Davis now, Meyer will most likely be the new HC in South Bend, Cals coach says he's staying put, it's gotta be Butch.

ND has set their standard way too high for the current NCAA. How are they supposed to get top notch recruits with all those academic standards? Like players really want to start off the semester with Calculus on their schedule, along with other hard courses and ND forces them to take to stay academically eligible, all while playing football.

ND WAS a great program, NOW they're mediocre and they'll NEVER get back to the aura that they used to have. Sad that the alums and the pressure of NBC cannot see it and now they'll just be canning coaches every couple years until they realize it.

Willingham went over my expectations of ND this year, especially with that schedule. Sure they got drilled by USC, but beating superior Michigan and Tennessee teams gets you the axe? They had a tough schedule that most team would've only gone 7-4 or 8-3 with, ND managed to get a 6-5 season and became bowl eligible as well, and Ty is out, makes no sense to me.

First ever coach out at ND before his 1st contract is up, he still had 3 more years on it. It won't be the last cause they'll sign the next guy for 5 or 6 years and after another 3 years of mediocrity, they'll can him as well, and the cycle will continue until ND and all the affiliates realize that the golden helmet isn't the big dream of every high school kid anymore and they need to make changes to become a national power again, or just accept that they're not that good of a program and be happy with 6-5 and 7-4 seasons.

They have 2 options, time to decide on it.

You're right - with that schedule it would be tough for anybody not to lose at least 3 games . . . but it's the losses against the mid level teams that are getting Willingham run out of town. I think the alums would give it more time if they were just losing to the Michigans and USCs rather than the likes of BYU, Pitt and Boston College.

Personally, I'm pulling for Florida to go after Bill Calahan from Nebraska or maybe Mike Dubose :p

I don't know, but that god awful thread that they started is still alive somewhere.

Originally posted by volinbham@Nov 30, 2004 3:17 PM
Personally, I'm pulling for Florida to go after Bill Calahan from Nebraska or maybe Mike Dubose :p

You mean Mike Du Bozo the Clown?

From what I've read, half the gators are pinning their hopes on Bob Stoops announcing he'll leave OU after the NC game to coach at Florida.

The other half thought they had a lock on getting Urban to come to Gainesville.

I have a feeling that Butch Davis will end up in Florida.....Norm Chow will end up at Stanford....Willingham will end up at Washington.....Rick Neuheisel probably New Mexico State

From what I heard, Butch Davis is seriously thinking about taking a year off instead of getting into coaching.

Originally posted by GoVolsDogg@Dec 1, 2004 8:03 PM
From what I heard, Butch Davis is seriously thinking about taking a year off instead of getting into coaching.

:question:

golfing.jpg

Davis has been interested in Texas, UF, and LSU just to name a few as of late

He wants anything open

Originally posted by TruthTeller@Dec 2, 2004 10:25 AM
hehehe, :pepper: But he BEAT the vols..... (oh dear!)

I don't think they fired him for the wins :blink:
He was fired for the losses ;)

VN Store

Back