Anemic OL Play is Why...

I think Mays is the difference. They looked like a much better unit the first few series until he got injured.

There are a multitude of issues on the team, but it all starts on the lines. All aspects would perform better if we were even slightly better on both lines. It won't happen overnight though. Madisongavol hit it on the head. It will likely take a season to fully get the bad habits trained out of these guys. Depth is another issue, but even the 1st team didn't look great for the short time they were together.

As I said before, we will need all three QBs and every RB on the roster before the year is through.
I don’t think it’s so much “bad habits” but a “talent” issue with the team. It’s understandable with the 71 scholarship players and the players we lost last year.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
I don’t think it’s so much “bad habits” but a “talent” issue with the team. It’s understandable with the 71 scholarship players and the players we lost last year.

Definitely affects depth, which we are seeing, but I feel like the first 5 don't lack talent. Cade Mays didn't turn into a less talented player when he stepped on UT's campus. The previous staff didn't require him to do the things he needs to do to be a good offensive lineman and we are seeing the result on the field.

Reactions: orangebloodforlife
Definitely affects depth, which we are seeing, but I feel like the first 5 don't lack talent. Cade Mays didn't turn into a less talented player when he stepped on UT's campus. The previous staff didn't require him to do the things he needs to do to be a good offensive lineman and we are seeing the result on the field.
It appears the new staff should have helped them some already. Right now we are still seeing regression.

Reactions: Remy
I don’t think we have had a good OL since Butch’s first year and that was only because we had Sam Pittman the year before coaching them up.

First five are super talented.
People need to keep in mind too that all of these guys were recruited to play in a little different, slower offense than what they are being asked to run now.

A lot of our offensive line woes come from us asking guys to hit 3 plays at max effort in one minute...it takes a toll and right now we lack quality depth to sub out effectively.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
First five are super talented.
People need to keep in mind too that all of these guys were recruited to play in a little different, slower offense than what they are being asked to run now.

A lot of our offensive line woes come from us asking guys to hit 3 plays at max effort in one minute...it takes a toll and right now we lack quality depth to sub out effectively.
“First 5 Super Talented” is up for debate. You are not rated in College based on what your HS rankings indicated.

Florida plays run all day and the transfer QBs from the Helen Keller Academy get run over all day long….fumble sack interception repeat

Reactions: Rando
...we have to install QB running plays. Lot's of them. Every series.

RBs have NO ROOM to run between the tackles.

Never changes. Even with 5* OL all over the place.

Coach Josh has to know this. Is he as dumb as predecessors, who kept trying?
When is the last time we had good OL play?

Starting 5 is pretty good, but there is zero depth. I said before the year, one sprained ankle and we are toast.

We just had 2 starting OL hit the portal, our 6th man tore his bicep, and our starting center has played half a game so far. Our backups consist of former walkons, converted DL, and guys that should be on the scout team.

OL is the hardest position to evaluate in HS and takes the longest to develop. That’s why you take 4-5 every year without exception. We will need more Juco and portal guys for the next 2-3 years to get this where it needs to be. Notice that timeline doesn’t work when you change staffs as often as we do.

He did go to public school in South Dakota, same as me. So probably.

yes, this team looks anemic today. No spirit, wya, way, way too many drops by the WR. QB fumbles have to stop. I got what I asked for and Hooker started. I am ready for Milton to come back. Hooker is not the one, I wish it weren't true.
Anemic is maybe too strong of a word, the blocking schemes and Rbs are not on the same page, look at replays, you'll see the missed the opening several times.

VN Store

Back