Andy Kelly (fomer Vols quarterback) to New Orleans

andykellysfan

Andy Kelly, the most underrated QB in the history of football, is now playing with the New Orleans Voodoo of the Arena Football League.

What are your guys thought on Andy Kelly?

Andy is one of my favorite Vol players of all time. You could never count us out of aq game as long as he was there (Just ask Notre Dame :D ). You're right, he's very underrated.

Truly a great QB and good guy. I don't think he was that highly recruited coming out H.S. in Rhea County was he?

Any of those games gonna be on TV?

Originally posted by vol_freak@Oct 26, 2004 7:18 PM
Truly a great QB and good guy. I don't think he was that highly recruited coming out H.S. in Rhea County was he?

Any of those games gonna be on TV?

NBC televised AFL games the past two seasons.

Thanks guys. Sometimes, I feel like the only Andy Kelly fan around. Some people in Rhea County thinks he is a terrible QB.

Andy Kelly was rewarded a scholarship to UTK after his senior year at RCHS (class of 1987).

I have a question for all you Andy Kelly fans, what team wanted AK to come to their training camp and why didn't he go? Also, how many teams has AK played for (going from elementary school).

A week after the birth of my son (Andrew Kelly) my wife was flipping channels and came across ESPN Classic replaying the 1991 Notre Dame game. To this day she still accuses me of subliminally naming my son after Andy Kelly.

At least I didn't name him Conredge. :dunno:

Here's so more info on Andy Kelly, if Peyton Manning and Casey Clausen didn't go to UT, AK would have been the greatest QB in Vols history. The only records he now hold is career INTs and the longest pass play in Vol (bowl game) history.

Andy is the most underrated QB in football history.

goes with the territory... UT has historically been underated as a program until recent years... Andy was the man when he was playing... talk about heart! IMO Clausen couldn't hold his jock strap! :ph34r:

Andy Kelly info....

kelly400_040205.jpg

Originally from Dayton, Tenn., where he was the top offensive prospect in the state and a Gatorade All-American at Rhea County High School…

Ranks as Tennessee's third all-time leading passer behind Peyton Manning… Threw for 6,397 yards and 36 TD's in his career with the Vols, which ran from 1987-91… Served as starting quarterback from 1989-91, leading the Vols to appearances in the Cotton, Sugar and Fiesta Bowls… Completed 60.8 percent of his passes during his career… Named SEC Player of the Year by the Birmingham Touchdown Club in 1991 and was chosen as second-team All-SEC in 1991 and 1990… Ranked second in the SEC and seventh in the nation with a 256.3 total offense per game average in 1991… Led miraculous comeback in 35-34 win at Notre Dame his senior year… Threw for 2,241 yards in junior season, leading Vols to SEC title and win over Virginia in Sugar Bowl… Took over as starter midway through 1989 season, taking Tennessee to Cotton Bowl victory over Arkansas.

Participated in training camps with the Arizona Cardinals and the Pittsburgh Steelers... Played with the Rhein Fire of the World League in 1995 and 1996, where he set the team record for career passing yards (2,797) and TD passes (17).

Kelly currently holds the AFL career passing records for completions (2,879), attempts (4,656), passing yards (31,987) and touchdowns (621). Kelly also holds the record for most touchdowns ever by any professional quarterback in any league. With another 2,000-plus passing yard season in 2003, Kelly surpassed the league record for career 2,000-yard passing seasons... he currently has done so for 9 seasons. He also stands 10th in league annals for highest completion percentage in a season after completing 66.0% of his passes (283-of-429) for Nashville in 2000. He led the Kats to four consecutive playoff appearances (1997-2001), including trips to the ArenaBowl in 2000 & 2001. In 2002, he helped he expansion Dallas Desperados reach the second round of the playoffs, and in the 2003 season Kelly helped turn around the Detroit Fury, tying the AFL’s record for a single-season turnaround. Kelly also led the Fury to their first-ever playoff victory.
Kelly_250.jpg

Career History:
2005: Signed with the New Orleans VooDoo.

2004: Led the Detroit Fury in passing for a career high 4176 yards on 360-of-589 passing and 73 touchdowns.

2003: Helped the Detroit Fury tie the AFL's record for single-season turnaround. For the season he passed for 3968 yards on 410-of-638 passing and a career high 92 touchdowns.

2002: Became AFL’s all-time completions leader by completing 25-of-45 passes for 225 yards and four touchdowns vs. Arizona (5/18). Led the expansion Dallas Desperados to the second round of the playoffs. Passed for 3253 yards and 73 touchdowns.

2001: Completed greater than 60.0 for the sixth season. Led Nashville to a second straight ArenaBowl. 20,581 career AFL passing yards made him the third quarterback in Arena history to pass the 20,000 career mark. Passed for 2699 yards and 47 touchdowns.

2000: With the Kats, completed a career-high 66.0% (283-of-429) of his passes for 3,107 yards, 55 touchdowns and 10 interceptions and led Nashville to ArenaBowl XIV.

1999: Finished with a career-best 116.4 quarterback rating on 324-of-504 passing for 3609 yards, 67 scores and 11 interceptions.

1998: With the Kats, threw for 3,537 yards, 73 touchdowns and 12 interceptions on 315-of-518 passing.

1997: Chosen 1st by the Nashville Kats in the AFL Expansion Draft, led the league with a 113.8 quarterback rating on 309-of-497 passing for a career-high 3,821 yards, and a league and career-high 83 touchdowns.

1996: Completed 58-of-94 passes for 671 yards, eight touchdowns and an interception in three games. Finished the Arena season as Charlotte Rage's leading passer with a 107.2 rating.

1995: Joined the Rage for five games. Closed the Arena season 95-of-166 for 1,004 yards, 16 scores and eight interceptions.

1993: Ranked as the leading passer for the Charlotte Rage, completing 178-of-332 passes for 2,139 yards, 34 touchdowns and 15 interceptions for an 88.0 quarterback rating.

Other Pro Experience: Participated in Arizona Cardinals (1992) and Pittsburgh Steelers (1994) training camps, spent two seasons playing for the Rhein Fire of the World League (1995-96). College: Finished his collegiate career with 6,397 passing yards and 36 touchdowns.

I am barely old enough to remember Andy Kelly, but he was the QB that got the ball rolling for UT in the 90's.

Originally posted by afanalso@Oct 28, 2004 1:44 PM
I am barely old enough to remember Andy Kelly, but he was the QB that got the ball rolling for UT in the 90's.

Andy Kelly, didn't have the strongest arm, threw alot of interceptions, but a very smart quarterback. He was surrounded by some of the best talent. He threw to Alvin Harper, Carl Pickens, and Anthony Morgan... all had their day in the NFL. Reggie Cobb, Chuck Webb, Tony Thompson, James Stewart, and Aaron Hayden were running backs during Kelly's career as a starter. The Vols won 2 SEC Championships with Kelly at QB.

1989 11-1 (SEC Champs); Beat SWC Champion Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl... finished 5th in AP and USA/CNN.

1990 9-2-2 (SEC Champs); Beat Virginia in the Sugar Bowl... finished 8th/7th in AP and USA/CNN.

1991 9-3 (3rd in SEC); Lost to Penn State in the Fiesta Bowl... finished 14th/15th in AP and USA/CNN.

*The Vols led the SEC in total offense and total defense in 1991.... and finished as the 2nd rated offense in the SEC in both 1989 and 1990.

Don't forget those two monster bookends Kelly had on the o-line. Both Antone Davis and Charles McRae were first round draft picks.

...and to think, when Kelly was a Sophmore, he had to beat out Sterling Henton - a flashy mobile QB (sound familiar).

It should be noted that in 1989, the 1-loss was to No. 10 Alabama. However, the Vols beat 4th ranked Auburn. The 3 teams finished as co-SEC Champs. The Vols were only 5-6 in 1988 and surprised the nation by finishing 11-1. The Vols beat No. 6 UCLA and No. 10 Arkansas. The Vols finished 3-1 against ranked opponents.

1990 Began with a tie to Colorado in the inaugural Pigskin Classic. The clock ran out as the Vols tried to get the field goal unit on the field for a possible game winning field goal. Colorado went on to win a share of the National Championship. The other tie was to 3rd-ranked Auburn, which scored twice in the 4th quarter and converted 2-pt conversions to tie the game, 26-26. Tennessee missed a field goal as time expired. The losses were to No. 1 Notre Dame and crushing 9-6 loss to Alabama. The Vols finished 2-1-2 against ranked opponents.

1991 The losses were to Florida and Alabama. They finished 1 and 2 in the SEC. The Vols were 3rd. 6 turnovers and a blocked punt doomed the Vols to a loss in Gainesville, and a 4th quarter rally fell short in a 24-19 loss to the Tide. The highlight of the season was a comeback upset of No. 5 Notre Dame in South Bend. The Vols also handed losses to Louisville, (21) UCLA, (23) Miss State and (13) Auburn. The Vols finished 4-3 against ranked opponents.

Originally posted by allvol@Oct 28, 2004 3:14 PM
1990 Began with a tie to Colorado in the inaugural Pigskin Classic. The clock ran out as the Vols tried to get the field goal unit on the field for a possible game winning field goal. Colorado went on to win a share of the National Championship. .

That would be the same Colorado team which beat Missouri on the infamous fifth down play. We didn't hear the crybabies at ESPN whining about them stealing a win because of a bad call though did we. I guess that only happens when it is Tennessee :shakehead:

Think about this, one of the quarterbacks at UT Andy Kelly's senior year was Heath Shuler. Did you guys know that Andy Kelly's dad was in the same signing class as Steve Spurrier (Found out about this from the former head coach of RCHS (Jason Fitzgerald) ).

VN Store

Back