Andy Griffith Screen Worn Sheriff’s Badge

Well done...
c475c24d73bc061e75ac205e23d210b0.jpg

Reactions: DOCTORLOOMIS
Hi there DoctorLoomis!

I'm Greg from S.Carolina. Mad TAGS collector for over 30 years now. :) I knew Richard and his wife Bettina as I've participated with The Andy Griffith Rerun Watchers Club events since 1989. I spoke to Bettina before she listed the badge and I bid on it as well, but I had just purchased another Aston Martin (another hobby....Euro cars) lol, yet the bids went higher than I could justify at that moment. It's quite valuable and such a rare piece to locate. I'm the first person that ever replicated the badges too and I started selling them online around 2002 or so. I used photos of the one you have that came from Richard as he brought it to Mount Airy, North Carolina when they used to attend for our weekend celebration at Andys hometown. If I remember correctly, the ink is not black, but a dark blue on your original badge...YES?? I had my replicas inked in black, yet I know for certain after talking to George Lindsey, Betty Lynn and many others that appeared on the show.....that some badges would have a blue ink. There was a reason for the badges color and inking I suppose, but just like the squad car....they had to dull the outer finish or the glare would ruin outdoor shots due to the glare from the sun and other lighting.

OH.......I also just purchased a very nice 100% ORIGINAL wardrobe piece from a lady in L.A. California. It's a blue tunic/robe with velvet belt and special buckle. I'm 56 and a textile chemist by trade, and the patina of the fabric is definitely 1960's! She had to close down her shop after Covid hit but is now operating from her home/basement. I'm having her look for more of them as we speak. I bought a second piece from her too but one of these will go auction at Profiles in History or similar. I've sold with them and others over the years. I collect TAGS 1st, old James Bond 2nd and old Planet of the Apes 3rd. Yes....odd combination but so much fun! Oh.....Gomer Pyle as well!! If you've time......do let me know if the ink on yours is truly a blue color.....and if you can remind me of any markings or Hallmarks on the back side of the badge.

Thanks for your time and have a blessed weekend!!

Gregory M. Kelley

Attachments

• RobefromLosAngelesCA.jpg
    RobefromLosAngelesCA.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 7
  • p1023159_e_v8_ab.jpg
    p1023159_e_v8_ab.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol

VN Store

Back