'An embarrassment of riches:' UT baseball's success powered by MLB Draft talent

kamoshika

Drew Gilbert walked by as Jordan Beck finished a postgame interview on April 16. “Top-10 pick Jordan Beck,” Gilbert shouted.

The Tennessee baseball outfielder could be right about his fellow outfielder. Beck is a projected first-round pick in the 2022 MLB Draft. Gilbert also is and so is pitcher Blade Tidwell, as Vols coach Tony Vitello and his staff have built a juggernaut roster laden with MLB prospects. “It is a beautiful roster,” said Brian Sakowski, a national crosschecker who runs Perfect Game’s MLB Draft coverage. “You don’t became 38-3 and wipe the floor with the SEC by not having good players.”

No. 1 Tennessee (38-3, 17-1) is rolling into its series against No. 21 Auburn (30-12, 11-7) thanks, in part, to having an abundance of high-level professional prospects because of a combination of decisions to pass up the draft and strong development. Sakowski believes the Vols have 15-20 MLB Draft picks. That includes potential future first-round pitchers Chase Dollander, Chase Burns and Drew Beam. Sakowski stated Dollander and Burns will be in the mix for the first overall pick in 2023 and 2024, respectively, as the Vols have stacked talent across classes.
Tennessee baseball's success powered by bevy of MLB Draft talent

Seriously how can you not love this team? I checked the score last night on my phone and it was 4-2 Auburn in the 7th. I thought "well it looks like its not their night tonight." I check the final score this morning and we win 17-4. LOL! This team just will not be denied!

If I could compare them to any MLB team right now, they remind me of the 89 Oakland A's.

Seriously how can you not love this team? I checked the score last night on my phone and it was 4-2 Auburn in the 7th. I thought "well it looks like its not their night tonight." I check the final score this morning and we win 17-4. LOL! This team just will not be denied!

If I could compare them to any MLB team right now, they remind me of the 89 Oakland A's.
The 7th and 8th innings of last night's game were a throwback to college baseball before the soft spot in the aluminum bats were deadened in 2011... and that was against the 19th ranked team in the country, and we were the only ones scoring runs.

Ortega is hardly ever mentioned among the great prospects on this team... and look at the game he had last night. This team is unbelievable.

27 Yankees

Not to rub it in....BUT man you missed something like I've never witnessed in following baseball for 50+ years....unbelievable (and I use that word intentionally) explosion of offensive firepower when the game was droning on for several innings...DO NOT TAKE FOR GRANTED WHAT WE ARE WITNESSING...not saying we automatically win the WS (quite often the best team doesn't)...just saying ENJOY THIS RIDE..and fight the temptation in the future to compare other teams to THIS!!!

The 7th and 8th innings of last night's game were a throwback to college baseball before the soft spot in the aluminum bats were deadened in 2011... and that was against the 19th ranked team in the country, and we were the only ones scoring runs.

Ortega is hardly ever mentioned among the great prospects on this team... and look at the game he had last night. This team is unbelievable.
Ortega has impressed me once he got in the dstarting line up

The deepest pitching rotation in the nation by far. There is not a weak spot in the batting order. In fact, they may be the most opportunistic team offensively in the nation. Two deep at almost every position with guys patiently waiting their turn. A head coach that has proclaimed the TN fan base the best fan base in both college and pro sports. A swagger we have not had at TN in a long time in any sport. Feels good.

Not to rub it in....BUT man you missed something like I've never witnessed in following baseball for 50+ years....unbelievable (and I use that word intentionally) explosion of offensive firepower when the game was droning on for several innings...DO NOT TAKE FOR GRANTED WHAT WE ARE WITNESSING...not saying we automatically win the WS (quite often the best team doesn't)...just saying ENJOY THIS RIDE..and fight the temptation in the future to compare other teams to THIS!!!
Same, it was the most fun couple innings I’ve watched in a while. Imagine if we had batted at the top of the inning instead of the bottom and got to hit in the 9th. Might’ve put up 20+. I just hope we didn’t use up all of our runs last night. Is it 6pm yet?

We are #1 in the SEC in theses categories if you look at the overall season stats:

Offense: BA, SLG %, OBP, Runs Scored, Hits, RBI, Doubles, Triples, Home Runs, Total Bases, and Walks

Pitching: ERA, Opponents BA, Strikeouts, Wins, Losses, Runs, Earned Runs, Doubles, and Walks

SEC Games Only:

Offense: BA, SLG %, OBP, Runs Scored, RBI, Triples, Home Runs, and Total Bases

Pitching: ERA, Opponents BA, Wins, Losses, Hits, Runs, Earned Runs, Doubles, and Walks

Our offense has scored double digit runs in 19 games. We have scored 6 runs or more in 31 games while our pitching staff has given up 3 runs or less in 33 games this season. Overall, we are winning games on average 9.6 runs to 2.4 runs. In the SEC we are winning on average 7.8 runs to 2.5 runs. Complete domination anyway you look at it.

We are #1 in the SEC in theses categories if you look at the overall season stats:

Offense: BA, SLG %, OBP, Runs Scored, Hits, RBI, Doubles, Triples, Home Runs, Total Bases, and Walks

Pitching: ERA, Opponents BA, Strikeouts, Wins, Losses, Runs, Earned Runs, Doubles, and Walks

SEC Games Only:

Offense: BA, SLG %, OBP, Runs Scored, RBI, Triples, Home Runs, and Total Bases

Pitching: ERA, Opponents BA, Wins, Losses, Hits, Runs, Earned Runs, Doubles, and Walks

Our offense has scored double digit runs in 19 games. We have scored 6 runs or more in 31 games while our pitching staff has given up 3 runs or less in 33 games this season. Overall, we are winning games on average 9.6 runs to 2.4 runs. In the SEC we are winning on average 7.8 runs to 2.5 runs. Complete domination anyway you look at it.
2022 Baseball Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics

If Christian Moore hits a homerun today, that would give Tennessee 6 players in double digit HR's before May 1st. Somebody mentioned the '89 A's earlier... that stat is "Bash Brother" quality.

Except for the fact that we have extraordinary pitching and power up and down the lineup. It's not just Ruth and Gehrig primarily.
Yanks had 7 HOF members, hit an AL league record (at the time) 158 HR, and won the pennant by 18 games.

On the same ratio of SEC games (30/154) 18 games = 3.5 games.... right now the BaseVols have a 6 game lead with 11 to go.

BaseVols have 45 HR in 19 SEC games.... that would equate to about 365 HRs if they played 154 games.

So I reckon yer right... statistically these 2022 BaseVols are way better than the 27 Yanks.

Last edited:
It was like, as soon as Auburn took the 4-2 lead, they just looked at each other and said, "Okay... I guess we have to spend some energy now."

Just from their casual demeanor, they were never worried about losing the game.

Reactions: tennrich1
It was like, as soon as Auburn took the 4-2 lead, they just looked at each other and said, "Okay... I guess we have to spend some energy now."

Just from their demeanor, they were never worried about losing the game.

They first went quietly in the home half of the 6th after falling behind 4-2, then exploded in the seventh. Mr. Russell got it all started. What a leader (and hitter) he is.

VN Store

Back