American Gods (Starz)

I've read most of Gaiman's stuff. "American Gods" was my 3rd favorite book, behind no.1 "Neverwhere" and no. 2 "Good Omens"( I believe that was the title), co-written with Terry( damn, I can't remember his name, right now, fantasy genre writer, I believe) Owens? Anyway, my point is, as good as those are, his collections of short stories are even better. But, his best stuff, by far, imo, was the "Sandman" comic. In fact, "Sandman" may be the best comic series, I have ever read.

Sandman is literature. Plain and simple.

Reactions: 1 person
I've read most of Gaiman's stuff. "American Gods" was my 3rd favorite book, behind no.1 "Neverwhere" and no. 2 "Good Omens"( I believe that was the title), co-written with Terry( damn, I can't remember his name, right now, fantasy genre writer, I believe) Owens? Anyway, my point is, as good as those are, his collections of short stories are even better. But, his best stuff, by far, imo, was the "Sandman" comic. In fact, "Sandman" may be the best comic series, I have ever read.

His "children books" are really good also. His modern English version of the Norse mythology is worth a read.

Sandman is literature. Plain and simple.

No doubt. He also did a couple of graphic novels about Dream's (the Sandman) big sister, Death. Just as good as the Sandman, imo. "Endless Nights" is another related graphic novel, with stories about Dream, Death, Despair, Destiny, Destruction, Desire and Delirium. All of them, part of the Endless characters that Gaiman created in the Sandman mythos. All of the above are great reads if u enjoy "American Gods"

^ My favorite by Neil is still Stardust. Even the film adaptation was great.

I 4got about Stardust. Great book and u are right, the movie was awesome. DeNiro was pretty good in it, but Claire Danes was sensational. Honestly, I would move "Stardust" ahead of "Good Omens" and "American Gods" into 2nd place of Gaiman's novels.

I binged the first season this weekend. Really good, though I thought episodes 4 and 7 were by far the worst ones. Both kind of seemed to grind things to a halt and were mostly unneccessary.

I had to start reading the book to even begin to understand wth was going on. I liked it and they stayed true to the book. I wonder how many seasons there will be.

I had to start reading the book to even begin to understand wth was going on. I liked it and they stayed true to the book. I wonder how many seasons there will be.

I haven't read the book but by the end of the first season of the series they kind of summarize who he is and what is going on. It's an interesting tv series for sure.

I just started watching this and I haven't read the book. I'm on season 2. Like people say, it's kinda hard to follow, but reading the episode summary on wiki after consuming an episode really helps keep everything in order in your mind.

The biggest draw to me is the imagination of the story and production.

I tried reading the book but just couldn’t finish it. Only got through half. That’s rare for me and i hate it. But the tv series is pretty different from the book. Same general story but they gave Mad Sweeney and Laura Moon much more involvement than in the book I thought. And it worked on the tv show. Made me wish the book had gone that route. Book really just followed Shadow and Wednesday mostly from what I remember. IIRC Sweeney never met Laura Moon in the book.

Mad Sweeney is great. If the book had been more like the tv series I might have been able to finish.

VN Store

Back