American Football Coaches Association asks NCAA Rules Committee to address Players Faking Injuries

I would make them sit out the rest of the possession. 3 plays aren’t all that huge in the grand scheme of things. You take someone out for the rest of the drive then that’s enough to get that bs out of the game.

It's never going to be about punishing players for faking. Any change will have to be about making the procedures for injuries take away the incentive for coach's to have their kid's lie about about being hurt.

Personally, I don't think there really is much incentive to stop coaches from asking players to do it.

If a no huddle team is going through your D like a hot knife through butter, it's probably worth it even if you lose a player for the rest of the possession if it gets you some fresh bodies and allows others to catch their breath.

Maybe the rule should also include that a team can make no other substitutions on an injury stoppage other than the player injured as long as the offense does not substitute. .

Reactions: orange parmejohn
Personally, I don't think there really is much incentive to stop coaches from asking players to do it.

If a no huddle team is going through your D like a hot knife through butter, it's probably worth it even if you lose a player for the rest of the possession if it gets you some fresh bodies and allows others to catch their breath.

Maybe the rule should also include that a team can make no other substitutions on an injury stoppage other than the player injured as long as the offense does not substitute. .
That makes a lot of sense. I didn't know that teams could sub out defensive players during and injury stoppage.

Reactions: dovervolz
Speaking as a soccer referee, you may be right. I believe that if you have to leave the field of play, you miss the next TWO series of downs. That'll put the kibosh on flopping. In big time pro soccer, the powers that be will have a "discussion " with you and quietly fine the mortal sh#$ out of you.

Well, everytime I have watched soccer (maybe 5 times) out of morbid curiosity over the past 10 years, only once did some idiot not do something so outlandishly stupid to try and get a yellow or red card. And the one time it didn't? It was whatever league they have going on here is the states right now.

But they need only charge the offending team a time out. Waive it if they have to bring out the cart or an ambulance to haul them out. If they are limping about? Charge it. If somebody starts CPR? Or you have a deformity that has people barfing in the stands? Let it go.

I could cure the soccer problem. Next time they start flopping and crying? Red card him, and allow the fans to pummel him with trash as he leaves. Or go roman empire with it and feed him to the Lions. Death penalty for flopping. Works for me. If they make those changes, I might tune in. "Quietly fining the moral sh#$" out of you" has not worked. Those world famous guys call that fine chump change.

That seems like overkill. Just penalize the player 3 plays. You can say “it’s so medical personnel have more time to evaluate them” and use the “player safety” angle to get it passed. Easy, simply, and it doesn’t impact the game the way timeouts would

If you want to stop it, it NEEDS to impact the game. It NEEDS to be overkill. There is nothing easy and simple about your "solution." Refs don't have time to keep up with individual players sitting out three plays. They are too damn busy video reviewing every dip5h1t call and watching for targeting and taunting. You really didn't think this out, did you?

If you want to stop it, it NEEDS to impact the game. It NEEDS to be overkill. There is nothing easy and simple about your "solution." Refs don't have time to keep up with individual players sitting out three plays. They are too damn busy video reviewing every dip5h1t call and watching for targeting and taunting. What are you gonna do next, hire 2 extra officials to be the sideline den mothers? You really didn't think this out, did you?

Start using injury time like soccer. Time is added to the clock to cover the time that play was stopped. Would make for some interesting drama.

To Hell with anything like soccer. Next thing you know the whole stadium will be singing stupid songs, and throwing maltov cocktails.

Then teams will start strategically subbing in scrubs to take a dive. Charging the team a timeout seems a little draconian but it would stop it. The problem is deciding which injury is faked and which requires legit medical attention.

If they limp and can't get off the field, charge it. If they bring both teams trainers and a few doctors out to take care of the player, or they fly in LifeStar? Don't. How is that a problem? And since targeting is a thing, how is anything else draconian?

Well, everytime I have watched soccer (maybe 5 times) out of morbid curiosity over the past 10 years, only once did some idiot not do something so outlandishly stupid to try and get a yellow or red card. And the one time it didn't? It was whatever league they have going on here is the states right now.

But they need only charge the offending team a time out. Waive it if they have to bring out the cart or an ambulance to haul them out. If they are limping about? Charge it. If somebody starts CPR? Or you have a deformity that has people barfing in the stands? Let it go.

I could cure the soccer problem. Next time they start flopping and crying? Red card him, and allow the fans to pummel him with trash as he leaves. Or go roman empire with it and feed him to the Lions. Death penalty for flopping. Works for me. If they make those changes, I might tune in. "Quietly fining the moral sh#$" out of you" has not worked. Those world famous guys call that fine chump change.

Soccer. LOL. At least our football nut cases like Albert Haynesworth and Ndamukong Suh just stomp people. Not only do these soccer players flop like fish out of water, they literally bite people. This guy makes Mike Tyson look tame.

Soccer. LOL. At least our football nut cases like Albert Haynesworth and Ndamukong Suh just stomp people. Not only do these soccer players flop like fish out of water, they literally bite people. This guy makes Mike Tyson look tame.

If that gets started, make sure every fan exercise their second amendment rights. Another problem solved.

This is still subjective and a solution can never be subjective when it comes to the safety of the kids playing the game.

If you want to stop it, it NEEDS to impact the game. It NEEDS to be overkill. There is nothing easy and simple about your "solution." Refs don't have time to keep up with individual players sitting out three plays. They are too damn busy video reviewing every dip5h1t call and watching for targeting and taunting. You really didn't think this out, did you?

Troll on brother! Troll hard! Only you can save college football!

Troll on brother! Troll hard! Only you can save college football!

If you think I am trolling, fine. I was past saving college football long ago. Only watched to make watching the draft worthwhile. But it might hang on as long as the mentally challenged keep it going.

It would be nice if they would address the targeting ejection issue first. There needs to be levels of targeting like a flagrant foul in basketball. I find it ridiculous that these guys are getting tossed for bang bang plays where you can’t anticipate the movement or contortion of someone’s body and end up going helmet to helmet.

It would be nice if they would address the targeting ejection issue first. There needs to be levels of targeting like a flagrant foul in basketball. I find it ridiculous that these guys are getting tossed for bang bang plays where you can’t anticipate the movement or contortion of someone’s body and end up going helmet to helmet.
They need to review both simultaneously.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I would make them sit out the rest of the possession. 3 plays aren’t all that huge in the grand scheme of things. You take someone out for the rest of the drive then that’s enough to get that bs out of the game.

Then coaches sub in that 4-stringer walk-on just before his 'injury' to take one for the team.

It's pretty simple, there's a stoppage of play, so video review should be able to pick up the injury. If no evidence, the team is charged a TO, if they don't have a TO they 15 yd delay of game, either way an unsportsman like conduct on the player is logged and if his second ejection. If we can eliminate the most flagrant the others will be reduced too.

so video review should be able to pick up the injury. If no evidence,

and what evidence do you propose for a head injury? You dont have to have a huge, colorful impact for a concussive injury. Same with a back injury. What about a 'pileup' in the field where there are many bodies and nothing can be seen?

Bottom line is, video proves nothing. Many injuries are not 'seen' during the play in question.

If they limp and can't get off the field, charge it. If they bring both teams trainers and a few doctors out to take care of the player, or they fly in LifeStar? Don't. How is that a problem? And since targeting is a thing, how is anything else draconian?

So what would stop any team from running trainers and team doc onto the field? If that’s your measure then every team could just send trainers out for every single leg cramp or boo boo and not be charged a timeout.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
What? They have to bench press Ricky Tidwell's mama? makes sense.
If it’s an arm injury, I’m not sure about the practicality of keeping a bench and barbell on the sideline, but maybe they have to do 50 pushups at midfield

VN Store

Back